NBC OTA HD skips/jitters when NOT viewed Live (vip612 & vip722)

kscott

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Aug 8, 2008
I have two ViP612's and one ViP722 and they've all recently started experiencing this problem.

It's my local HD OTA NBC channel and I've never had any problems with it before.

About a week or so ago I started noticing that if I was watching a show recorded or pause-delayed - the audio and video would jerk/pixelate/break-up/skip CONSTANTLY - about every 2-3 seconds.. if you let it go, it'll actually catch-up with Live tv.. like it's skipping little-by-litte.. but it makes it completely unwatchable.

As long as you watch live - everything is great. no problems at all.. but recorded or pause-delayed watching is completely screwed.

has anyone else ever experienced problems like this?

I dont know if a recent firmware update could have caused something like this - or could the broadcaster actually do something that causes this??

I wouldn't think it'd be the broadcaster since it's fine live.

any help/ideas would be appreciated-

thanks-

I have experienced this problem for months with more than one OTA local HD channel. I just can't seem to muster the strength to go through the hoops with CS to do anything about it. Like you described it is only when recorded not when watching live.

I was going through the same thing with my 612. It was really bad once - completely unwatchable recording - from something that was fine when watching it live. But usually just a 2-5 second "skip" a couple of times an hour. And sometimes works completely fine. I'm a new customer, so assumed the receiver was just bad. The tech on the phone said she'd never heard of the problem and sent me a replacement. I just got the replacement, so too soon to tell if it has the same stutters, but it also has a different problems. This evening it said it was recording 60 minutes, but when I went to play it was a show I watched and deleted from this morning. ugh.

It will be interesting to see how if the new box resolves it. It is strange that it is just OTA HD locals. On the other hand when I do have issues with the sat feed it is with the sat HD locals which is totally strange to me. Dish has been pretty decent for the most part but I must admit Uverse should be coming my way this year and it will get a hard look for a couple of reasons. It will probably come down to whether the sling reciever 922 I believe is released at a reasonable price before Uverse comes out. The box may convince me to stay but they really need to work out their HD locals issues both OTA and Sat. I also seem to have more issues with cloudy weather interfering with the signal than I used to.

It could be the two subchannels NBC is broadcasting right now. Contact the station engineering dept. to see if they are having a problem with the main channel.

I strongly believe it is not market specific. I have the problem on EVERY NBC show that I record. I have 30 Rock, The Office, My Name is Earl, amongst others and they ALL skip and jitter even with perfect weather during the recording. So Indianapolis' WTHR does it too.

You can always try the following:

Check switch
Reload your guide
Unplug the receiver for at least 20 seconds
Plug receiver back in
Wait a few minutes for the receiver to boot up

Kind of like the Window's thing ... if all else fails ... reboot.

I've done all that too many times to count to no avail. It would seem weird to be the station since it works fine if your watching live.

It actually is a station problem at least in my area. I've been working with engineering for two years now. I can dig up what they found and post it (not today) so you can contact your station's engineers and have them look into it. My station has been very uncooperative in getting this resolved. It is something in the stream that affects the timing in the buffer.

S~

FWIW-
The problem has resolved itself.

It was bad for about 2-ish weeks and now everything is back to normal.

If I had to bet, I'd put my money on the affiliate.. but that's just a guess..

thanks guys-

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts