NBC Sports Channel Switching to Channel 159

HanoverPretzel

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 6, 2006
Just turned to channel 151 to watch tonight's hockey game, and noticed that the guide said that NBC Sports Channel is moving to channel 159. The channel is already up and broadcasting it's new location.

Anyone have any idea what prompted this? Does it have some deeper meaning? Like that NBCSC might get included in more or different programming tiers? Or they're adding a new sports channel on 151? Something else? Random change for the sake of random change?

I was wondering the same when I noticed it yesterday, as a new dish sub I wasn't sure if they were trying to move the sports channels closer?

I was wondering the same when I noticed it yesterday, as a new dish sub I wasn't sure if they were trying to move the sports channels closer?

This actually moves it further away from ESPN.

I've noticed a lot of channels move around with Dish relative to cable, and it doesn't always make sense. Like CurrentTV was at 194, relatively close to CNN at 200, which made sense because Current was moving towards a news format. Then all the sudden Current was like 294 for no apparent reason. Then a month later, it was 215. Maybe they wanted to keep the news channels in the 200s, but that doesn't explain why they didn't go straight from 194 to 215 instead of doing it by way of a month stop over at 294. ;)

Anyhow, I just keep hoping NBCSC is going to be moved down a tier, because I can't really afford to stay at AT250 for long, and I love hockey.

Anyhow, start of the 2nd period. BBL.

Last edited:
This actually moves it further away from ESPN.

I've noticed a lot of channels move around with Dish relative to cable, and it doesn't always make sense. Like CurrentTV was at 194, relatively close to CNN at 200, which made sense because Current was moving towards a news format. Then all the sudden Current was like 294 for no apparent reason. Then a month later, it was 215. Maybe they wanted to keep the news channels in the 200s, but that doesn't explain why they didn't go straight from 194 to 215 instead of doing it by way of a month stop over at 294. ;)

Anyhow, I just keep hoping NBCSC is going to be moved down a tier, because I can't really afford to stay at AT250 for long, and I love hockey.

Anyhow, start of the 2nd period. BBL.

that's because Dish was waiting on Travel to move to where Current used to be, it actually was on 196, 194's has always been Planet Green. that's why Current moved to 294 for one month, it was a temp slot until it's permanent

Me too. I wonder why CBSsports in in the 200 but not NBCsports

to explain that, it because Dish and Comcast (before they merged their cable networks with NBCUniversal) made an agreement to have it in the Top 250 package. they didn't get NBCUniversal's permission to move it so it will not move to the Top 200 package, as they need to get NBCUniversal's agreement to move it to the Top 200 package or the Top 120 package, plus the old contract will expire one of these days within the next 5 to 10 years (i don't know when Dish and NBCUniversal/Comcast signed the new agreement or when it expires).

I don't know why they (NBCUniversal) wouldn't want their channel moved to a lower package...lower package means more potential sub viewership. Even if they break even on per-sub fees (lower per-sub rate x more subs), they gain ad revenue with higher viewership.

Heck, I just wish they'd include this channel in the multisport pack. When choosing AT200 over 250 this was the only channel I regret not having.

Watching the hockey game last night, I was seeing a lot of ads for the summer Olympics, which they said were coming to NBC Sports Channel. If they show a lot of Olympic events, I think the pressure from the average subscriber will start getting pretty intense for Dish to include this channel in a lower tier. Personally, I'm not a big fan of the Olympics, but a lot of people, even people who aren't really into sports in general, really consider the Olympics must-watch and will be shocked and dismayed if they can't watch a lot of the televised events.

Anyhow, with my Caps eliminated from the NHL playoffs, I dropped back out of the AT250 tier. Literally logged on within minutes of the game ending and switched to a lower tier through the website. I'd like to have access to the rest of the NHL playoffs, but I was straining to pay the bill and wasn't going to do it to see teams that weren't the Capitals.

Really hoping Dish gets this resolved and puts NBCSC in a lower tier. It's not just that I personally want the channel and can't really afford to be at AT250, but it's also just a logical thing. All the other sports channels are in AT200 or lower, and AT200 is advertised on the website as the package for sports fans. The other channels you get when you upgrade to AT250 are mostly for film buffs and stuff. NBCSC is really the only channel of it's kind that comes with that package upgrade.

Watching the hockey game last night, I was seeing a lot of ads for the summer Olympics, which they said were coming to NBC Sports Channel. If they show a lot of Olympic events, I think the pressure from the average subscriber will start getting pretty intense for Dish to include this channel in a lower tier. Personally, I'm not a big fan of the Olympics, but a lot of people, even people who aren't really into sports in general, really consider the Olympics must-watch and will be shocked and dismayed if they can't watch a lot of the televised events.

Anyhow, with my Caps eliminated from the NHL playoffs, I dropped back out of the AT250 tier. Literally logged on within minutes of the game ending and switched to a lower tier through the website. I'd like to have access to the rest of the NHL playoffs, but I was straining to pay the bill and wasn't going to do it to see teams that weren't the Capitals.

Really hoping Dish gets this resolved and puts NBCSC in a lower tier. It's not just that I personally want the channel and can't really afford to be at AT250, but it's also just a logical thing. All the other sports channels are in AT200 or lower, and AT200 is advertised on the website as the package for sports fans. The other channels you get when you upgrade to AT250 are mostly for film buffs and stuff. NBCSC is really the only channel of it's kind that comes with that package upgrade.

Logical argument. The only thing that might go against that is what you started with, the Olympics. If NBCSC or I suppose Dish feel people will get the higher package to see the Olympics they might not want to drop it down. From a monetary business point that could be understandable, but in this case I think Dish could get more good will worth more than the money this time, by announcing it is going to be available in the AT200 package. It could be argued that dilutes a little those who are paying for the AT250, and that is a consideration.

Logical argument. The only thing that might go against that is what you started with, the Olympics. If NBCSC or I suppose Dish feel people will get the higher package to see the Olympics they might not want to drop it down.

That's true, but I think a lot of time businesses overlook the value of building long-term relationships with customers to make a little extra money in the short-term. There are a lot of people who are Dish subscribers and will see their friends with cable or Directv being able to watch programming they took for granted they were going to get (and did get in the past when it was on other channels), find out they don't have it, and resent being faced of a choice of paying more every month just to get programming they thought they already had, or go without. In the short-term, Dish may get their money, but may lose the customer in the long-term, if the customer feels they are being nickled and dimed to death.

Dish is already running into this with hockey fans, but they aren't as many of us out there are there are Olympic fans. The Olympics may make this a really pressing issue for Dish, finally.

From a monetary business point that could be understandable, but in this case I think Dish could get more good will worth more than the money this time, by announcing it is going to be available in the AT200 package.

I agree, especially when this is in the equivalent cable and Directv packages, for the most part.

It could be argued that dilutes a little those who are paying for the AT250, and that is a consideration.

When last I checked the website, it described AT250 as a package for film buffs. Those people may not care for sports, or may care but not be bothered that other people also get NBCSC if it's tier is lowered (Since, after all, AT250 subs would still get the channel, along with everything else in AT200). Sports fans I think sometimes feel a little resentment at basically having to pay an extra $10 to get only one channel they are interested in. I mean I literally can't think of any other channel in AT250 that's not in AT200 that I watched during the brief time I upgraded. I might have watched The Wonder Years once or twice on "The Hub".

It doesn't feel so much like upgrading a package as just being told "You want to see your teams' nationally televised regular season games and exclusive playoff games? Upgrade to this 'package' for $10 and get this one channel we give NBC 50 cents a head for.". It's not even a package with a bunch of extra sports channels that sports fans could reasonably be thought to be interested in and get value from.

Whats logical to you is not logical to everyone else. I guess the sports on FOX Soccer Channel, Fuel and Outdoor Channel don't count even though they are in AT250. Olympics isn't going to do anything. People are going to gripe whether they have to bump up packages to get NBCSP or MSNBC or any of the other NBC channels not in the base packages or because NBC/Comcast is going to charge for all the online Olympic content. You can't make everyone happy.

Logical argument. The only thing that might go against that is what you started with, the Olympics. If NBCSC or I suppose Dish feel people will get the higher package to see the Olympics they might not want to drop it down. From a monetary business point that could be understandable, but in this case I think Dish could get more good will worth more than the money this time, by announcing it is going to be available in the AT200 package. It could be argued that dilutes a little those who are paying for the AT250, and that is a consideration.

I bet NBCSP goes into Free Preview for the month of the Olympic's, further diluting the value I pay each month as an AT250 subscriber.

Whats logical to you is not logical to everyone else. I guess the sports on FOX Soccer Channel, Fuel and Outdoor Channel don't count even though they are in AT250.

Didn't notice those. Are they not in AT200 also? What about the sports pack?

Olympics isn't going to do anything. People are going to gripe whether they have to bump up packages to get NBCSP or MSNBC or any of the other NBC channels not in the base packages or because NBC/Comcast is going to charge for all the online Olympic content. You can't make everyone happy.

Maybe pay tv providers (Not just talking Dish here, Direct and cable also) should start looking inward when asking themselves why fewer people are staying with them. It's not just Internet piracy and Netflix and whatever, it's also that the price for television keeps going up and up, and things that used to be fairly standard are now on different channels and cost extra money.

For example, the nationally televised hockey games and playoff games used to be on ESPN, which came in almost every package providers offered (Other than lifeline or welcome package type things). Ditto all the nationally televised football games (Now some are on NFL Network), excepting the ones on Sunday afternoon that are regionalized. Same with televised Olympic sports. People are being asked to pay more for less at the same tiers, or upgrade to higher tiers and *really* pay more. And they're saying enough is enough and leaving. And then the television providers and network executives scream piracy and rant about Netflix in response instead of considering that people might have been very content to stay with their cable or satellite provider if they felt they were getting the same or better programming for the same or a lesser price instead of getting less for more.

I bet NBCSP goes into Free Preview for the month of the Olympic's

If I were NBC and Dish tried to pull that, I'd say forget it. In NBC's shoes, I'd say why should I let you give your subscribers some of our most valuable content for a month to hide the fact that you don't give them our channel (and pay us for it) year round? I'd say offer it in a lower tier long-term, or deal with all the angry phone calls and people who quit over not getting those Olympic events in their Dish packages. NBC would be stupid to allow Dish to do a free preview for the Olympics, just as they'd be stupid to allow them to do it for the Stanley Cup playoffs. It ruins their leverage for getting their product out to more people permanently.

I agree, especially when this is in the equivalent cable and Directv packages, for the most part.

It doesn't feel so much like upgrading a package as just being told "You want to see your teams' nationally televised regular season games and exclusive playoff games? Upgrade to this 'package' for $10 and get this one channel we give NBC 50 cents a head for.". It's not even a package with a bunch of extra sports channels that sports fans could reasonably be thought to be interested in and get value from.

Why don't you come and talk to Cox, my cable company, because if you want NBCSP, you have to get extended basic, plus digital and then add the multi sport/info pack, which includes most of the same channels as AT250. This comes out to $70 a month the same as At250 but in order to have the same channels as AT 250 with Cox would actually cost me an extra $10 because I would have to add the other variety packs to get the rest of the channels in AT 250. This cost with Cox also applies if you want NFLnet, MLB, ESPNU, CBSSN, ESPNews, Fuel, Fox Soccer, etc..

You should quit complaining about Dish not having it in a package you want and complain to NBC/Comcast because the channel is exactly where they asked for it to be placed and if it was important enough for them to want it in a lower package, they would be asking Dish to change the terms and move it to another package.

Why don't you come and talk to Cox, my cable company, because if you want NBCSP, you have to get extended basic, plus digital and then add the multi sport/info pack, which includes most of the same channels as AT250.

It was in all the Comcast tiers except their lifeline (Mainly OTA channels) package when I had Comcast. My parents live in another area and get it on expanded basic with Comcast also. Not that Comcast is perfect by any stretch of the imagination. Just saying that Dish having this in such a higher tier is kind of an oddity (Although I guess one it shares with Cox)- even Directv has it a tier lower.

You should quit complaining about Dish not having it in a package you want and complain to NBC/Comcast because the channel is exactly where they asked for it to be placed and if it was important enough for them to want it in a lower package, they would be asking Dish to change the terms and move it to another package.

Do you think NBC/Comcast actually said "Please show our channel to fewer people"? Obviously, they wouldn't say that, because the more people they can get the channel out to, the more money they can charge to advertisers. I think Dish didn't want to pay the price they were asking for, and, as usual, it's the customers that suffer.

I had Comcast as a provider, and obviously they weren't so great, or I wouldn't have switched to Dish. All the providers have their problems, but we need to hold their feet to the fire a little bit and help them to improve the value they offer. Otherwise, not only will we as customers not get we want, in the end these providers will lose profits and gradually die out. A lot of people are now going without cable or satellite and finding they can live with the arrangement, and will likely never return give how high prices are. Some people are more like me, and tried going without, and were so unhappy that we decided we had to get back in the game (Those several weeks without television or Internet were very depressing), but that doesn't mean we're totally satisfied. It just means it beats the alternate of no television at all.

Do you think NBC/Comcast actually said "Please show our channel to fewer people"? Obviously, they wouldn't say that, because the more people they can get the channel out to, the more money they can charge to advertisers. I think Dish didn't want to pay the price they were asking for, and, as usual, it's the customers that suffer.

You need to remember what this channel was originally "OLN", they were desperate to be carried by anyone. They only had a million subscribers before they got the rights to the Tour de France in 1999. Dish obliged them. So since 1995 or thereabouts NBC and Comcast have been happy with OLN/Versus/NBCSP placement on Dish. Then Comcast tried blacking out the hockey games in 2005 to get the carriers to put OLN in a lower tier, Dish dropped them for with holding programming and in 2006 Comcast and Dish reached a new LONGTERM agreement for Versus and as you have so finely documented, the channel is still in AT250. Looks like Comcast/NBC got a price they were happy with by leaving the channel in AT250.

If Comcast wants the channel in a lower package, then they need to lower the price and renegotiate with Dish. My guess is longterm agreement means 8 - 10 years, so probably a couple of years before anything happens with this channel, barring Comcast getting a big NFL or College Football package. Most of those rights have now been tied up by ESPN and Fox for the near term.

You need to remember what this channel was originally "OLN", they were desperate to be carried by anyone. They only had a million subscribers before they got the rights to the Tour de France in 1999. Dish obliged them. So since 1995 or thereabouts NBC and Comcast have been happy with OLN/Versus/NBCSP placement on Dish. Then Comcast tried blacking out the hockey games in 2005 to get the carriers to put OLN in a lower tier, Dish dropped them for with holding programming and in 2006 Comcast and Dish reached a new LONGTERM agreement for Versus and as you have so finely documented, the channel is still in AT250. Looks like Comcast/NBC got a price they were happy with by leaving the channel in AT250.

If Comcast wants the channel in a lower package, then they need to lower the price and renegotiate with Dish. My guess is longterm agreement means 8 - 10 years, so probably a couple of years before anything happens with this channel, barring Comcast getting a big NFL or College Football package. Most of those rights have now been tied up by ESPN and Fox for the near term.

My point is that if Dish were looking out for it's customers, they'd be actively trying to negotiate to put NBCSC in a lower tier. It works both ways. Charlie can pick up the phone, too, you know. You act like it's not Dish's concern, but it is Dish's concern if it's losing customers because of this, or if it's one of many factors contributing to that churn.

NBCSC now has several exclusive NHL games a week, basically from October through the middle of June, including exclusive playoff and Stanley Cup Finals games. It has exclusive Indycar races (something I'm not into, but others are- and actually there was a race in downtown Baltimore I really wanted to watch on tv last year because of the setting, and couldn't). It has MLS. It looks like it's going to have summer Olympic coverage. They do some mixed martial arts. I think they might have a smaller college football or basketball package. Bob Costas has a show on there, there's some sort of daily sports chat show and an NFL show. It's not a hunting and fish channel anymore. It's become something a lot more broad based that has a lot of customer demand behind it.

Dish can do whatever the heck they want, but I'll certainly be considering the fact that this channel is not in a tier I feel is reasonably affordable when I decide whether or not I want to go back to Comcast when my Dish contract expires, or try Directv. And I'm sure I'm not the only one.

I'm not saying this channel is the best thing since sliced bread, frankly I'd prefer ESPN have just kept the NHL package and I wouldn't care much about the channel. But the NHL has now been on this station a long time, and is there to stay (New 10 year agreement recently) and they are adding more stuff that I might be interested in. I don't think a television provider that doesn't offer this channel in a reasonable tier is going to be very competitive for the sports fans' dollar much longer.

Last edited:
Nothing you mentioned that NBCSP offers brings in ratings or major viewers. If it did NHL would still be a fixture of ESPN programming. Dish negotiated a deal they felt was fair based on the number of viewers that channel brings in and the money Comcast wants. Dish can't do anything about what Comcast wants. Comcast sets the price they want. So in your opinion, Dish should lose money by giving Comcast the rate they want in addition to paying them MORE money by putting the channel in a lower package with more potential viewers.

NBC Sports Network's ratings take biggest drop in eight years after overhaul - NYPOST.com

64000 daily viewers according to Neilsen. Spread that over a dozen providers. Not much to write home about there. For their actual sports broadcasts NBCSP is barely averaging 500,000 viewers and that's with ratings increases for NHL and Indycar broadcasts.

You need to start badgering the media companies. This isn't DISH or Directv's problem. They are the middle man and they are getting squeezed just as much as the consumers. Tell Comcast, Viacom, Discovery, Disney etc.. that we don't need 10 or more niche channels with 12 hours or more of infomercials and crappy repeats all day. I'm the first one that wants about 20 or more channels to go away and consolidate the channels into a better package that has some relevant programming and not 4 hrs of rotating blocks repeated 4 times a days with infomercial filler. I watch some of NBCSP and CBSSN programming and hope they can get some bigger name packages away from ESPN's monopoly, but in order to do that it is gonna raise rates even more.

Dish offers a variety of packages that most other companies don't. They are not gonna lose any more customers than they normally churn if NBCSP or AMC are no longer available. People who think otherwise are dreaming.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)