NBC Universal and DIRECTV Announce First Ever On Demand Deal

Status
Please reply by conversation.
When VOD gets to where you can see any episode from any show or movie ever made that is when it will get real popular.

mikedz4 said:
i'd be glad to pay $.99 to see an episode of "joey" ...
No, you'll notice that Joey is missing from the list of shows they list. Probably because it is produced by Time Warner, and NBC likely doesn't have rights to provide it as VOD. This is likely for other shows not mentioned that arn't produced by NBC Universal.

One question I'm curious about. Is this similar to the Comcast/CBS VOD deal that only has it in CBS O&O markets? Will only NBC O&O markets get the NBC shows (while everyone gets the cable shows)? Otherwise affiliates will be screaming foul about the "no ads" part.

This makes me want to get the PVP from Archos, AV700, and then drop E* for D* so that I can record my shows without commercials.... I wonder if D* will come up with a deal like E* does for its "PocketDish" player???....

I figure DirecTv will have a portable player eventually just a matter of time. Perhaps the new MPEG-4 receivers have usb ports on them.

I wonder how come they dont have this feature for FOX yet?

I'm surprised how much press this announcement is getting. The articles I've read make it sound like such a big deal. I still don't get it. Why should I pay $.99 for something I can already get for free? Commercials aren't much of an issue with a DVR. So if you're spending $.99 per episode to avoid commercials, well then you're just lazier than the rest of us. Perhaps this will lead into something better.

-JustBob

I personally dont think it will fly in this manner unless it was some unique content. Now put some movies on there for 99 cents and I am sure some people will bite. Even at 1.49 or 1.99 some would bite.

Even if they did have a number of people that would purchase them there are probably not enough people with the DVR's to make it worthwhile. True IPTV connected to the box is what would make it worthwhile (or is this how its going to work on the new boxes?)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts