NBC's new deal with affiliates may be topic of discussion at FCC

dfergie

Proud Staff Member
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
While Fox continues to fight over money its affiliates get from cable and satellite operators in return for carriage of their channels, NBC appears to have reached a peace accord on the issue with its local television station partners.Last week in New York, NBC reached an agreement in principle that would give the network the ability to negotiate deals with pay-TV distributors on behalf of their affiliates as well as take a cut of that revenue
Source & More: losangelespointlocal.com

so what could go wrong with Comcast negotiating with cox, direcTv and DISH?

Geronimo said:
so what could go wrong with Comcast negotiating with cox, direcTv and DISH?

It would give Comcast/NBC more leverage. Instead of a local affiliate threatening to pull it's feed, you have Comcast threatening to pull all 12 (made up number used as an example) local affiliates that are up for renewal at a given time. Losing NBC in twelve markets is a bigger risk to Dish/Direct than losing NBC in one or two markets where they failed to reach agreement with the affiliates.

This invariably means that multichannel providers will be in a weaker position at the bargaining table and NBC/Comcast will be able to get more money in exchange for retransmission consent. This will make all our bills go up over time. Especially if the other networks recognize the success of this model and also adopt it.

i was being sarcastic. obviously there is tremendous potential for problems.

Geronimo said:
i was being sarcastic. obviously there is tremendous potential for problems.

Sorry, the sarcasm wasn't clear, so I responded as if it a legitimate question.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)