NBCU & Dish Network Settle Ad-Skipping Dispute, Remain In Arbitration Over Retransmission Contract

With every DVR having a skip forward function, I am not seeing what the hullaballoo is all about. Just push the damned button...
Quite frankly, Dish made a mistake even introducing the Auto Hop feature. Those are commercial TV stations. Their owners do not like it when viewers have the ability to not watch the ads which fund the programming and the ability for the TV station to turn a profit for its owners/investors..
I don't like commercials any more than the next person. In fact, the I find the duration of commercial breaks on cable/sat channels to be infuriatingly long. Some are as much as 5 minutes in duration. I was watching Law and Order on Sundance.
...I was tirading to my wife about commercials. On the brak, I started the timer on my phone. The break was 4:38....That's absurd.

Quite frankly, Dish made a mistake even introducing the Auto Hop feature.
With that thought allowing DVRs with a fast/skip forward function is a bad idea too? It does the same thing, skips over commercials. I can use the skip forward button fast enough that I see less than a second of a commercial as I skip past the commercials. AutoHop just automates the skip forward function.

Why was it a bad deal if it got them better deal with the channels. Sounds like it was great leverage, not a bad idea.... And customers love it. Some of us do not even watch the shows until months later, so the delay doesnt make a bit of a difference.

Someone with a TiVo Bolt was telling me that they also have this feature on not only the networks but also on channels like History. I wonder if they might be sued next since the Dish lawsuits are all but over now.

Someone with a TiVo Bolt was telling me that they also have this feature on not only the networks but also on channels like History. I wonder if they might be sued next since the Dish lawsuits are all but over now.

Tivo has it (skipmode) on 20 channels if you have a Bolt or Roamio. It's not just during prime time but shows airing between 4pm and 12:30am. The skip icon usually shows up on the available programs within a few minutes of a show finishing.

https://www.tivo.com/popup/skipmode-channels

Tivo sells DVR's not programming, so what are they going to be sued for? Dish has to deal with retransmission consent. Tivo has said the networks are refusing to sell ad time to Tivo because of skipmode.

ABC- O&O only, 3 days
CBS - All, 7 days
Fox - All, 7 days
NBC - ???, 7 Days

Disney dun f*cked up

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Disney was the first lawsuit that came up , or at least the first one to settle, I believe. Maybe they should of waited till they saw what was coming down the road.

True but to do that you have to stop whatever you are doing and go get the remote.
What I am doing right in front of the commercial and just after the commercial is watching the program. The remote is right beside me at all times that I am watching TV. I seldom am doing chores and watching TV at the same time..

Reactions: Troch77
What I am doing right in front of the commercial and just after the commercial is watching the program. The remote is right beside me at all times that I am watching TV. I seldom am doing chores and watching TV at the same time..
That may be you but I am almost always doing something while the TV is on. (like answering posts on satguys)

I have remotes laying around all over the place too. Eight remotes paired to my main HWS and two 21.0 remotes. I do my house duties all day long all over my home and outside too with wireless headphones. I still prefer the AutoHop and very disappointed to lose it. I watch most of the recordings the next day too.

Reactions: pattykay
I have nothing against autohop, but to sit there and encourage Charlie or Dish to implement a fee that is 10-15% of Dish's ARPU is what I would call Hypocritical.

So it's not okay for Charlie to spend more money on actual programming from the Networks, but it's Okay to Hypothetically offer to pay a premium to the networks to autohop, because you have a hard time grabbing a remote, "no less" and pressing a button a few times.

Yeah, Maybe if Dish didn't spend so much in the courts over this crap, we could have more HD channels, and Network contracts signed on time for a change.

Samsung Galaxy S6 Active

Reactions: sam_gordon
Well, are your really watching, or just have it on for background?
Most the time I am watching. I have RF modulators on my HWSs. So there are usually four TVs on syncing to a Hopper so no matter where I am at unless outside I am watching with wireless headphones.