NBR for 721

vicoc

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Apr 27, 2004
hi,

does 721 have name based recording? will there ever be a stabel software for 721 like on 522?

thank you

You're kidding right? Stable software on the 522, that is not what I have heard. The 721 /921/501/508/510 will NOT have name based recording according to what we have read on this very web board. THe only receiver that will have it is the "stable" 522 and new dvr receivers coming forth from this day on. Everyone else will be screwed by this wonderful DISH decision. :mad:

GaryPen said:
Is that true? I thought NBR was coming for the 721.
There are whole threads about NBR being on 522 and future DVR's. Everyone is trying to get Dish to go back to there original statement which said it would be coming to the other DVR's. :no

Well. I suppose I can sell my 721, 811, and 311, and get a 942 IF it's released soon, IF it's affordable/leasable, IF it works.

OTOH, the Comcast 6412 is looking tempting. But, it's version of NBR seems to work as reliably as a Dish first release. :eek:

How is the Dish NBR said to be working? I've heard it's much more reliable as a whole. (But, that was from Kool-aid drinking Dishies.) I wonder if it's worth selling the 721, and leasing a 522, which I've heard they are getting ready to offer to existing subs.

Hope you had a Right, I mean White Christmas. ;)

EDIT: Now, I have to consider the new SBC/Dish Home Media HD DVR as introduced in another thread. That is a fine looking box.

vicoc said:
hi,

does 721 have name based recording? will there ever be a stabel software for 721 like on 522?

thank you

I have a 522 and a 721, believe me, the 721 is MUCH more stable than the 522, but I don't have many problems with my 522 (yet). I really like NBR, so I hope dish backs up their previous statements and brings it to all their DVR's.

I would prefer that they leave us 721 users the f*** alone, and not try to implement NBR on our 721s. Two reasons: DISH has a habit of shooting itself in the foot even when up revving the simplest of OS changes...a comprehensive up rev might just choke a 721 into boat-anchor mode; and NBR on DISH will never be more than a pale imitation of the Tivo interface anyway, and will never satisfactorily duplicate any of their features.

TyroneShoes said:
NBR on DISH will never be more than a pale imitation of the Tivo interface and will never satisfactorily duplicate any of their features.

That pretty much says it all!

TyroneShoes said:
I would prefer that they leave us 721 users the f*** alone, and not try to implement NBR on our 721s.

Maybe that is one reason why they chose not to do NBR on the previous receivers that were out in the market. I am also wondering if the 625 is going to be the replacement to the 510. The 501/508/510 series DVR's has been out in production longer than any other DVR that Dish has come out with.

I know what the connection is, lol, that the longer their out the more stable they are. I'm just curious how instable they will be once NBR gets released on them.

Stargazer said:
I am also wondering if the 625 is going to be the replacement to the 510.

The 625 is a 522 with a larger hard drive, so it's more likely to replace that. This is a 2 tuner, dual output box, which makes it a very different beast then a 510.

Now the 522/625 could certainly replace a 510. I suppose it depends on the manufacturing costs of the two boxes. Seems like E* would want to keep the lower cost pvr around.

The 522 only costs $50 more than the 510 to the retailer so it would make more sense to have a 522 instead of a 510 and a 311. If they would quit making one model receiver there would be more of another one being made which should drive down the cost of that model DVR. By standardizing the receivers more it should lower production costs. I'm sure certain components are the same in the 311/510/522 though.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts