NCAA Football 2008-09 Season

Why is it that the conference gets bashed when it's only one team that played.

For example: LSU may win or Florida but everyone says the CONFERENCE won.
When LSU or Florida loses, it's not a Conference loss.

The Bucks win and the conference gets slammed...
The Bucks will a Championship an the Big Ten does not take credit, but if Florida wins the Championship the Conference won it.

A TEAM wins and loses, NOT the conference.

Jimbo

I'm not surprised by this loss. All that thin air up there in Boulder has to have an effect on players that aren't used to it.

I lived in the Denver area for 5 years and the mountains at 7-9000 feet for 15. I don't think the altitude has much effect on atheletes outdoors until about 7000 feet (don't play Wyoming at Laramie). I also don't see the bru ha-ha about effects of high altitude indoors. Go Buffs.:D

Maybe you shouldn't provoke them. I prefer intelligent conversation on these forums rather than just bashing. The Big East/ACC bashfests have gotten very tiring and they couldn't end soon enough.

Probably when UConn beats the Big 12's perenial doormat--Baylor. I didn't think I would ever root for anyone from Waco.:D

I lived in the Denver area for 5 years and the mountains at 7-9000 feet for 15. I don't think the altitude has much effect on atheletes outdoors until about 7000 feet (don't play Wyoming at Laramie). I also don't see the bru ha-ha about effects of high altitude indoors. Go Buffs.:D
The air at 5500' in Boulder will leave those 300lb linemen huffing and puffing after 3 quarters of Div I football, believe me. WV has an advantage in not being a dropback pro style passing team. The linemen are smaller so they can get downfield quickly and block, option style.

Why is it that the conference gets bashed when it's only one team that played...
Jimbo

If a conference has a recent history of having only one or two teams that consistenly compete with top OOC opponents, and those teams get beaten by those OOC opponents (or even one of the lesser teams in their conference), then the entire conference looks bad. On the flip side, when those teams win, only they are considered a winner since the other teams in their conference still suck. Take USC for instance - when they win a championship, you can't say that the PAC 10 is a winning conference. This is because over the last several years only USC has consistenly been worth a crap in that conference. But when USC gets beaten by an OOC team or one of it's lesser conference teams, you then have an argument for saying the PAC 10 is a weak conference.

Now if you have several teams in a conference that have a history of winning against top OOC opponents, but lose to each other, and a member of that conference wins the MNC, then you have a legitimate argument that the conference is a winning one, and better than most.

Last edited:

The air at 5500' in Boulder will leave those 300lb linemen huffing and puffing after 3 quarters of Div I football, believe me. WV has an advantage in not being a dropback pro style passing team. The linemen are smaller so they can get downfield quickly and block, option style.

I lived in the Denver area as well. Although the effects on the players from lower climates aren't as drastic as the sports media will tell you, it does take it's toll on players that are unacclimated after a certain period.

UConn just tied Baylor, 14-14 late in the first half.

The Bears are looking pretty good against a good Huskies squad.

This would be impressive for Baylor.

I've known that university as having a phenomenal women's basketball program and, for many years, a godawful football team (For many years, they were a Southwest Conference/Big 12 doormat)

This would be impressive for Baylor.

I've known that university as having a phenomenal women's basketball program and, for many years, a godawful football team (For many years, they were a Southwest Conference/Big 12 doormat)

Yup, Baylor and Rice were always bad in the old SWC (all schools from Texas except Arkansas).

In 1986 I used to joke that the Red Sox, with Jim Rice and Don Baylor, had a better chance to win football games then the Owls and the Bears.

Bill,

you're familiar with B.C. football.

It's obvious 'Hail Flutie' was the greatest moment in the program's history, but what was the better moment of the only other two truly great Boston College football memories:

Beating top-ranked Notre Dame in 1993 or Matt Ryan's miracle rally against Virginia Tech last year?

Ironically Baylor, in spite of their pitiful football history, has produced an NFL Hall of Famer. Can you name him?

Ironically Baylor, in spite of their pitiful football history, has produced an NFL Hall of Famer. Can you name him?

singletary-1.jpg
mike_singletary_1.jpg

Mike Singletary.

Bill,

you're familiar with B.C. football.

It's obvious 'Hail Flutie' was the greatest moment in the program's history, but what was the better moment of the only other two truly great Boston College football memories:

Beating top-ranked Notre Dame in 1993 or Matt Ryan's miracle rally against Virginia Tech last year?

Without question BC going into South Bend in '93 and beating the Irish on Kevin Snow's FG.

The Irish just beat Florida St. the week before in an epic #1 vs. #2 battle so the Eagles ended ND's NC dreams. After upsetting the Irish, BC was ranked 6th in the country and #4 West Virginia came to Chestnut Hill the day after Thanksgiving. The Mountaineers squeaked by the Eagles late in the 4th quarter.

The BC-Va Tech game last year is the best game no one around here saw. Why? We were all too busy watching game 2 of the World Series.

Without question BC going into South Bend in '93 and beating the Irish on Kevin Snow's FG.

I thought the kicker's name was David Gordon.

Ironically, that B.C. team was coached by a man who later became a real thorn in New England's side.

UConn just got hosed. That should have been a safety!

How fitting- it takes a crooked ref and a BAD CALL to try and make sure the pathetic Bears can try and win.

Mc Nabb's Yard Vandalized

Alonzo Mourning retires

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts