NCAA Football 2008-09 Season

Quotes from the ESPN article:

Michigan hates Ohio State because the Buckeyes added four more Ls to Lloyd Carr's first name. The Buckeyes hate Michigan because Carr no longer coaches there.
Notre Dame hates Navy because it can't even beat the Midshipmen anymore.
Florida State's Bobby Bowden hates that Penn State's Joe Paterno won't just quit. Fans of both schools hate that neither one of them has quit.
The SEC hates that it leads the country in parolees.
USC hates UCLA because the Bruins hired a cheater. UCLA hates USC because the Trojans still haven't been caught cheating.
Stanford hates that it upset USC but couldn't even beat Notre Dame. The Fighting Irish hate that each of Charlie Weis' victories cost more than $1 million.
Good stuff. :)

I can't believe that Alabama is is the most hated school in the SEC. Auburn fans are the only ones who get bent out of shape about Alabama. Florida is probably the team that is the most hated the SEC. Steve Spurrier was as low class as they come, and now that Florida has the golden boy Tebow, I'm sure that most SEC fans hate the Gators far more than they ever will Alabama.

I can't believe that Alabama is is the most hated school in the SEC. Auburn fans are the only ones who get bent out of shape about Alabama. Florida is probably the team that is the most hated the SEC. Steve Spurrier was as low class as they come, and now that Florida has the golden boy Tebow, I'm sure that most SEC fans hate the Gators far more than they ever will Alabama.

It depends on your location in the SEC, and the teams that are doing well as of late. Right now LSU is not on the top of many SEC fans' favorite list. :)

And don't forget Tennessee has a long standing rival with Bama as well.

The reason they are is because Bama lives in the past. They cannot get over the fact that the glory days are behind them. They will be quick to let you know how many national championships they have won and how they dominated the SEC for many years. They find it very hard to accept the fact that was when you could give unlimited amount of scholarships. They will win again but wil never dominate the way they did before. It was funny to see ole Nickies face when he came out of the tunnel for last years A day game. 95,000 fans living in the past!!!

UCONN.......where are you hancox? :D:D:D

We're picked to finish 6TH at BE Media Day. SIXTH!!!!! WE TIED FOR FIRST LAST YEAR.

We return nearly everyone, and we get Pitt, WVU, and Cincy at home this year.

We're more likely to be the most UNDERRATED team nationally this year.

Probably because Miami ran roughshod over the Big East and now has a hard time in the ACC.

Virginia Tech doesn't seem to be having too many problems. They've had at least 10 wins every season since joining the ACC. Boston College has had at least 9 wins every year since joining. Miami's glory days are far behind them. Randy Shannon's got a lot of work ahead of him.

We're picked to finish 6TH at BE Media Day. SIXTH!!!!! WE TIED FOR FIRST LAST YEAR.

We return nearly everyone, and we get Pitt, WVU, and Cincy at home this year.

We're more likely to be the most UNDERRATED team nationally this year.

Gotta be honest about UConn last year: there was a lot of smoke & mirrors to the record they had and it showed once they played WVU and Wake Forest. Not to mention that some very fortunate officiating went UConn's way (the 4th down play against Temple & the missed fair catch against Louisville).

UConn's offense was based on not turning the ball over and they were able to keep themselves in a lot of games because of that, but the bowl game showed some glaring deficiencies on offense when they were playing from behind. I think that's also why it took so long for UConn to get ranked during the season. Folks saw that the OOC schedule was very weak (Duke, I-AA Maine, Temple, Akron & Virginia) and that neither the Temple nor Virginia games did they provide a decent showing, even though both were close games.

Virginia Tech doesn't seem to be having too many problems. They've had at least 10 wins every season since joining the ACC. Boston College has had at least 9 wins every year since joining. Miami's glory days are far behind them. Randy Shannon's got a lot of work ahead of him.

I find Shannon's job to be quite similar to Wanstedt's job at Pitt. Wanny has done well in the recruiting area and supposedly Walt Harris left the place quite bare when he left, and the same has been said for what Larry Coker left behind for Randy to work with. Randy has also done well in the recruiting area, so in both cases its up to the coaching ability of both men to get the best out of the talent they have in place.

I find Shannon's job to be quite similar to Wanstedt's job at Pitt. Wanny has done well in the recruiting area and supposedly Walt Harris left the place quite bare when he left, and the same has been said for what Larry Coker left behind for Randy to work with. Randy has also done well in the recruiting area, so in both cases its up to the coaching ability of both men to get the best out of the talent they have in place.

Shannon doesn't have a meaningful victory as Miami coach; Wannstedt does, even though Pittsburgh had to sell their souls to Satan to get it.

Good analogy. The first thing Shannon has to do is clean up Coker's mess, but if he keeps recruiting the way he has, he may be able to get The U back to respectability. Easier said than done though.

As for Pitt, who I put my rooting interest in, I think this is the year Wanny turns the corner. The Panthers will compete for the conference this year, although WVU is still the team to beat. It should lead to a very interesting Backyard Brawl this coming Black Friday. But if they don't get at least eight wins and a bowl berth this year, then it's about time that Pitt's administration starts questioning why they hired Wannstedt.

SabresRule said:
Shannon doesn't have a meaningful victory as Miami coach; Wannstedt does, even though Pittsburgh had to sell their souls to Satan to get it.

Shannon's been at Miami for one year. Wannstedt's been at Pitt for three. Shannon not having a signature win with what he was left with his first season isn't really surprising, but Wannstedt really ought to have more than one meaningful win out of 35. I still support the 'Stache, but a lot of Pitt fans expected more out of him than what they've got so far. The win over WVU will keep them sated for a little while though.

I don't get what you mean by the "selling thier souls" part though. Pitt outplayed WVU big time in the Brawl last December. Horrible officiating kept the Mountaineers in the game. The game wasn't anywhere near as close as the 13-9 score indicated.

Didn't Miami beat FSU last year? That game may not be as big as it once was, but beating your rivals is ALWAYS meaningful.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)