NCAA Football 2008-09 Season

We have 6 conference champs...
4 BCS bowl games plus the MNC game.
Or is it 5 BCS games and the MNC game ?

What I'm trying to figure out is, are there only 2 at large teams, or 4 ?
If there are 5 BSC games, thats 10 teams and only 6 automatic bids.

Anyone ?

Jimbo

There are 4 BCS games, plus the Nat title game.

6 Conf champs, 4 at large bids.

Techincally 3 at large bids if you have a Non-BCS team in the top 12.

Plus, if you are top 4 and didn't get your auto-bid for your conference, then you must be selected.

So, really 3 of the 4 at large could be semi-auto bids :)

Of course, if ND ever turns it around in the future and they are top 8, then they get a auto bid

http://www.bcsfootball.org/bcsfb/eligibility

There are 4 BCS games, plus the Nat title game.

6 Conf champs, 4 at large bids.

Techincally 3 at large bids if you have a Non-BCS team in the top 12.

Plus, if you are top 4 and didn't get your auto-bid for your conference, then you must be selected.

So, really 3 of the 4 at large could be semi-auto bids :)

Of course, if ND ever turns it around in the future and they are top 8, then they get a auto bid

FOX Sports on MSN - BCSFootball - BCS Selection Procedures

Unless your the 3rd team in your conference, then you still don't make it.

Jimbo

Check out rules 5 and 6 of the Automatic qualification:

5. If any of the 10 slots remain open after application of provisions 1 through 4, and an at-large team from a conference with an annual automatic berth for its champion is ranked No. 3 in the final BCS Standings, that team will become an automatic qualifier, provided that no at-large team from the same conference qualifies for the national championship game.

6. If any of the 10 slots remain open after application of provisions 1 through 5, and if no team qualifies under paragraph No. 5 and an at-large team from a conference with an annual automatic berth for its champion is ranked No. 4 in the final BCS Standings, that team will become an automatic qualifier provided that no at-large team from the same conference qualifies for the national championship game.

What is horrible about this that the "Kstate rule" ONLY applies to 6 BCS conferences. So if we have a year where say Utah is 2 and Boise State is 3, only Utah is a lock.

I don't think that it is likely to see 2 Non-BCS schools in the top 4, but shouldn't they have the same rules if it ever did happen?

Unless your the 3rd team in your conference, then you still don't make it.

Jimbo

Correct.....its the right thing to do IMO simply because the BCS is purely about $$$ after the title game (and even a little before :) ).

Its not just about generating revenue, but allowing it to spread out among the 6 BCS conference.
The rule was placed it to ensure that a conference didn't end up with most of the $$$.

Lets face it, the extra bowl was simply to appease Congress and the non-bcs schools.

If we were simply concentrating on whats fair and not $$$, wouldn't we have a playoff by now :)

I saw a rule that would help Undefeated Ball State and probably others as well.

BCS Selection Procedures

6 days ago
Bowl Championship Series

Automatic Qualification, At-Large Eligibility and Selection Procedures, 2007-2010 Games

Automatic Qualification

1. The top two teams in the final BCS Standings shall play in the National Championship Game.

2. The champions of the Atlantic Coast, Big East, Big Ten, Big 12, Pac-10 and Southeastern conferences will have automatic berths in one of the participating bowls after the 2008 through 2013 regular seasons.

3. The champion of Conference USA, the Mid-American Conference, the Mountain West Conference, the Sun Belt Conference or the Western Athletic Conference will earn an automatic berth in a BCS bowl game if either:

A. Such team is ranked in the top 12 of the final BCS Standings, or,
B. Such team is ranked in the top 16 of the final BCS Standings and its ranking in the final BCS Standings is higher than that of a champion of a conference that has an annual automatic berth in one of the BCS bowls.

Such as the ACC or Big East
Ball State for example is 12th, the Big East Champ is Cincy, ranked 13th and the ACC Champ is BC at 17th.

Does this put Ball State ahead of the others for a BIG bowl game ?
NO, because they are given an automatic bid :mad:

Jimbo

Alabama being a 10 point underdog is almost as much of a joke as people thinking Oklahoma is the number 2 team in the nation.

Same thing happened with Ohio State and Michigan a few years back, they were 1 and 2, Michigan lost and was the one that should have played Ohio State again, but voters decided otherwise. (The SEC love fest I think had something to do with it).
And USC showed the voters why Michigan shouldn't have been in it. 32-18
And Florida showed everyone why they should. 41-14

So if we get blowouts again, thats OK with you ?
If Oklahoma gets by the Big XII championship game, it will be another blowout for Florida.
Texas would be a better game, and I think they should have gotten the South crown virtue of it's 10 pt. win against Oklahoma in regulation play.

A few years ago, Michigan replaying Ohio St. right after losing to them wasn't necessary.

Only 2 teams really wanted that rematch.
Michigan for obvious reasons, and Ohio St. because they knew they could beat Michigan and were afraid of what Florida could do (and did).

And yes, I thought the Fla/FSU rematch a few years prior was just as unnecessary, but the Big 10-Rose Bowl tie in kept us from having a #1 & #2 game.

I saw a rule that would help Undefeated Ball State and probably others as well.

BCS Selection Procedures

6 days ago
Bowl Championship Series

Automatic Qualification, At-Large Eligibility and Selection Procedures, 2007-2010 Games

Automatic Qualification

1. The top two teams in the final BCS Standings shall play in the National Championship Game.

2. The champions of the Atlantic Coast, Big East, Big Ten, Big 12, Pac-10 and Southeastern conferences will have automatic berths in one of the participating bowls after the 2008 through 2013 regular seasons.

3. The champion of Conference USA, the Mid-American Conference, the Mountain West Conference, the Sun Belt Conference or the Western Athletic Conference will earn an automatic berth in a BCS bowl game if either:

A. Such team is ranked in the top 12 of the final BCS Standings, or,
B. Such team is ranked in the top 16 of the final BCS Standings and its ranking in the final BCS Standings is higher than that of a champion of a conference that has an annual automatic berth in one of the BCS bowls.

Such as the ACC or Big East
Ball State for example is 12th, the Big East Champ is Cincy, ranked 13th and the ACC Champ is BC at 17th.

Does this put Ball State ahead of the others for a BIG bowl game ?
NO, because they are given an automatic bid :mad:

Jimbo

They are basically putting the MVC, WAC, Sun Belt and MAC into one large conference and saying we'll take your top team (based off of A and B)

What sucks is that the BCS puts ND in a separate category and give them a bid if they are top 8.

Remember that the ND rule goes into effect BEFORE the top 4 rule.

They should group ND with the other teams (along with other independents) and take their top team as a auto qualifier, but also rewrite rules 5 and 6 and allow these teams a bid if they are top 4.

also agree that the big 6 should lose their bid if ranked too far down (Must be top 16 ?). There use to be a rule that evaluated these conferences over a 4 year span but that had been manipulated in the past (i.e Big east w/loiusville) and I'm not sure if its still used since the 5th bowl was added.

If Oklahoma gets by the Big XII championship game, it will be another blowout for Florida.
Texas would be a better game, and I think they should have gotten the South crown virtue of it's 10 pt. win against Oklahoma in regulation play.

A few years ago, Michigan replaying Ohio St. right after losing to them wasn't necessary.

Only 2 teams really wanted that rematch.
Michigan for obvious reasons, and Ohio St. because they knew they could beat Michigan and were afraid of what Florida could do (and did).

And yes, I thought the Fla/FSU rematch a few years prior was just as unnecessary, but the Big 10-Rose Bowl tie in kept us from having a #1 & #2 game.

So using this argument, If OU wins it all and Texas loses their bowl game then the BCS got it right?

HD MM,
I just heard that former Toledo Rocket QB, Brad Gradkowski is getting a tryout with the Browns tomorrow ... :D

Jimbo

Yup. Heard that this morning.

We will now most likely have a Kent State Golden Flash (Josh Cribbs) and a Toledo Rocket (Gradkowski) on the same team. Go MAC!!!

I am SO sick of people acting as if Florida already has a free pass to the title game.

They have to PLAY a game, yet the feeling I get is that Bama's supposed to be a "Welcome" Mat.

I don't care how well Florida's played in their last 8 games or if Tim Tebow's the Second Coming; I am NOT giving them a free pass!

So using this argument, If OU wins it all and Texas loses their bowl game then the BCS got it right?
To a degree. Unfortunately with a 3-way tie, there is no good final tie-breaker to use. In the past (pre-BCS) it would have been a coin toss (at least that's what the SEC had prior to the BCS).

The logic I used above was based solely on Michigan losing it's final game to Ohio St. and whining for a rematch. They already lost on the field, no point in replaying that game. And any justification they used as being more deserving than Florida went out the window at the Rose Bowl.

I am SO sick of people acting as if Florida already has a free pass to the title game.

They have to PLAY a game, yet the feeling I get is that Bama's supposed to be a "Welcome" Mat.

I don't care how well Florida's played in their last 8 games or if Tim Tebow's the Second Coming; I am NOT giving them a free pass!
Actually I hope Alabama wins the game.

Alabama would still beat Oklahoma, just not as big a margin, as they don't run up the score like Florida does.
As it is though, both Alabama & Florida have something Oklahoma has rarely seen. A DEFENSE.

I might get blasted for this, but I think USC is a highly overrated team.

Also, I think their so-called "great defense" is the product of a laughably soft schedule.

Other than Ohio State, did they play ANYBODY??

NO!!

Against the teams they played, the defendive numbers are grossly inflated.

Just checked the major Vegas books, the game opened FLA -10 and has dropped to -9.5.

Vegas odds are based on bets, not some scientific scheme. When half the peple go one way and half go the other, that determines the odds, nothing else.:D

So if we get blowouts again, thats OK with you ?

The blowouts just prove that Mich couldnt handle a big game (they lost to OSU, they lost to USC badly) So not putting them in the title game was the right thing to do. UF stomping of OSU proved that they could handle the big game and deserved to be in it. IF OSU would of stomped UF I would of said "wow maybe Mich should of been in it, or even USC" If it would of been a close game either way UF win or OSU win in a close hard fought battle, id say they both deserved to be there. But the blow out that game was clearly showed OSU was outclassed and perhaps another team should of been there, maybe usc?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)