NCAA Football 2009-10 Season

Right - call me when Vandy, Ole Miss, Miss St, USuC, and Kentucky all don't suck.

Last year in bowl games:

Vandy beat Boston College
Ole Miss beat Texas Tech
South Carolina made it to a New Year's day bowl but lost to Iowa
Kentucky beat East Carolina

Can't argue with Miss St., but 4 of the 5 teams you mentioned went to bowl games last year and had a 3-1 record.

Aren't you the one that is always bringing up facts?

Last year in bowl games:

Ole Miss beat Texas Tech

Can't argue with Miss St., but 4 of the 5 teams you mentioned went to bowl games last year and had a 3-1 record.

Kentucky has won 3 bowls in a row. Doubt they will make it this year though.

Agree with the two postings above.

Ole Miss(even overrated this season) would be a Top Ten team this season with no more than one loss or possibly unbeaten if they played a Big East Conference schedule.(IMO)

One needs to look no further than Las Vegas to see how the Conferences are viewed by smart impartial football observers.

Danny Sheridan(USA Today oddsmaker) told Lee Corso this past week and was referenced on Gameday that Florida would be a 13 point favorite over Cincy on a neutral field, 16-17 points on their home field.

Alabama would be a 9-10 point favorite over Cincy on a neutral field 12-13 point favorite at home.

One can take it from there with various perception scenarios.

One could surmise from those numbers that the Florida, Alabama, LSU trioka would be solid favorites over any team from the Big East home or road.

Also just a couple more numbers On October 24th Alabama was a 14 point favorite over Tennessee. Basically the bookmakers have put a 5-4 unranked Tennesse team on par with the Big East Conference Leaders.

Now in closing does that mean that's how all the possible matchups would play out? No, absolutely not, but as far as the number crunching science of CFB goes, give me Vegas every time over the egg heads like Sagarin.

We can't(sadly) argue results unless they matchup but keep in mind all the buildings in Vegas are tall and those guys(Vegas) don't get where they are by being homers.

I have no problem with Cincy being ranked #5 as they've beaten everyone they've played. Just keep in mind though they are a product of their weak In Conference matchups. All the top 25 teams from the Big East are products of the Conference weakness. JMO

I don't expect the Big East supporters to agree with the perceptions but until they actually match up that all we have to go on.

I wish they could matchup ala basketball.

It would be great for both Conferences, if 8 SEC teams could matchup with the the 8 Big East teams all on one Saturday(4 home 4 away) then just flip around the next season.

I'd be far more interested in seeing these type matchups over some of the matchups with the Directional school dregs.

Last edited:
Lets look at the top teams in the Big East..

Cincy undefeated. Having played who? 1 Ranked team, a weak USF.

Pitt Lost to NC State.. (A weak ACC team)

W Virginia Lost to Auburn

USF Lost only to the top in the Big East, A great win against a weak FSU team (only great because of the instate status of the game) Will get its first big test against Miami.

Looking at the OOC games the ACC has destroyed the big east this year, The SEC also won its games, Auburn, Kentucky,

Lets look at the top teams in the Big East..

Cincy undefeated. Having played who? 1 Ranked team, a weak USF.
Give Cincy a little more credit. They beat Oregon St on the road, and the Beavers are now in the BCS Top 25. That counts as a quality win. In fact they have more wins over top 25 teams, 2, than Florida does, 1.

Give Cincy a little more credit. They beat Oregon St on the road, and the Beavers are now in the BCS Top 25. That counts as a quality win. In fact they have more wins over top 25 teams, 2, than Florida does, 1.

Ill give them credit for Oregon sure. But just FYI Oregon and USF are barely in the top 25. FLAS win was over A top 5 team, (Currently in the top 10), Also note Oregon will likely not finish the year in the rankings when Oregon beats them, Nor will USF be in the rankings when Miami beats them. This of course is looking into the future. Assuming all goes as planned..

Ill give them credit for Oregon sure. But just FYI Oregon and USF are barely in the top 25. FLAS win was over A top 5 team, (Currently in the top 10), Also note Oregon will likely not finish the year in the rankings when Oregon beats them, Nor will USF be in the rankings when Miami beats them. This of course is looking into the future. Assuming all goes as planned..
But Cincy also has chances to beat WV and Pitt so they may pick up a couple of more good wins. Point is besides Fla's win over LSU their schedule hasn't been much better than what BE teams face.

Kentucky, Tenn, Arkansas, and GA Are loads better then Cincys opponents, Louisville (beat by kentucky) Rutgers?, Syracuse?, Conn? USF?

Id Put Tenn against any of those teams mentioned and bet the house theyd win. GA would hold ground against must even though they are really really down this year. Arkansas offense would out score just about all of those teams mentioned as well. Kentucky would be the weaker of that bunch but they could still hold ground against all of those teams mentioned.

Remember FLA still has to also play the number 2 team in the nation.. Who does Cincy really have left besides a Pitt team that lost to a weak ACC opponent. and a W Virginia team that lost to an SEC team Auburn.

Heck FLAs next Opponent S Carolina beat the teams that beat W Virginia and Louisville.

Heck the top three in the MWC could match toe to toe with the top three in the Big East.. You cant say the same wtih the top three in SEC vs Big East.

Even according to Sagarin, Alabama and Florida have played tougher schedules than the rest of the undefeated teams. Here are his SOS ranks.

Florida - 42
Alabama - 25
Texas - 52
TCU - 47
Cincy - 67
Boise - 82

Last year in bowl games:

Ole Miss beat Texas Tech

I think his point was, what are they doing THIS year.

Kentucky, Tenn, Arkansas, and GA Are loads better then Cincys opponents, Louisville (beat by kentucky) Rutgers?, Syracuse?, Conn? USF?

Cincy can keep up with Arkansas offensively.
Personally, I'd take Cincy in that one.

Cincy and Tennessee would be a good game.
Cincy would BEAT Georgia (this year).

Cincy would crush Kentucky.

Callaros to Start for Cincy against WVU

Good move IMO. This kid has impressed me while filling in for Tony Pike.

[ame="http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=4641137"]Zach Collaros of No. 5 Cincinnati Bearcats to start at quarterback vs. West Virginia Mountaineers - ESPN[/ame]

Hey SEC apologistas - explain this: The Big East is ranked #1 in the RPI, if it existed for football.

This actually makes sense to me, due to:

1) The Big East playing a larger slate of OOC away games, which most conferences (and especially the SEC) shy away from.

2) The relative lack of cupcakes OOC for the Big East, compared to most BCS conferences

3) The relative lack of really bad teams in the Big East (Louisville and Cuse qualify this year)

RealTimeRPI.com College Football Power Ratings - A leading sports ratings and resources community on the Internet

1 Big East 8 46-24 (66%) 29-7 (81%) 50.38 41.99 1
2 Southeastern 12 70-41 (63%) 35-6 (85%) 48.10 39.85 2
3 Atlantic Coast 12 62-48 (56%) 29-15 (66%) 44.59 38.33 3
4 Big Ten 11 64-44 (59%) 30-10 (75%) 44.31 36.29 5
5 Pacific-10 10 50-39 (56%) 20-9 (69%) 44.09 37.47 4
6 Big 12 12 66-44 (60%) 35-13 (73%) 43.68 34.85 6
7 Mountain West 9 45-39 (54%) 21-15 (58%) 41.16 34.28 7
8 Independents 3 16-12 (57%) 15-11 (58%) 40.14 31.23 8
9 Western Athletic 9 40-41 (49%) 17-18 (49%) 35.56 28.51 9
10 Conference USA 12 49-59 (45%) 19-29 (40%) 32.80 26.03 10

and no, before you ask, I'm not saying the RPI is perfect, or even that good.

Only reason I bring it up is because, with the way most of you speak about that conference, you would think ANY ranking would reflect that. Even a middle-of-the-road ranking would concur with what most yap on about here. But, how do you explain both a top ranking, and a top-ranked SOS?

Hey SEC apologistas - explain this: The Big East is ranked #1 in the RPI, if it existed for football.

This actually makes sense to me, due to:

1) The Big East playing a larger slate of OOC away games, which most conferences (and especially the SEC) shy away from.

2) The relative lack of cupcakes OOC for the Big East, compared to most BCS conferences

3) The relative lack of really bad teams in the Big East (Louisville and Cuse qualify this year)

RealTimeRPI.com College Football Power Ratings - A leading sports ratings and resources community on the Internet

1 Big East 8 46-24 (66%) 29-7 (81%) 50.38 41.99 1
2 Southeastern 12 70-41 (63%) 35-6 (85%) 48.10 39.85 2
3 Atlantic Coast 12 62-48 (56%) 29-15 (66%) 44.59 38.33 3
4 Big Ten 11 64-44 (59%) 30-10 (75%) 44.31 36.29 5
5 Pacific-10 10 50-39 (56%) 20-9 (69%) 44.09 37.47 4
6 Big 12 12 66-44 (60%) 35-13 (73%) 43.68 34.85 6
7 Mountain West 9 45-39 (54%) 21-15 (58%) 41.16 34.28 7
8 Independents 3 16-12 (57%) 15-11 (58%) 40.14 31.23 8
9 Western Athletic 9 40-41 (49%) 17-18 (49%) 35.56 28.51 9
10 Conference USA 12 49-59 (45%) 19-29 (40%) 32.80 26.03 10

The only conference this year that I think can be put up there with the SEC is the PAC-10 and this basketball ranking system has them behind the Big 10.:smug

Well, it's fair, in the fact that the PAC 10 has struggled in its OOC slate.

Boise St over Oregon
LSU over UW
Wake over Stanford
Hawaii over Wazzu
Iowa over Arizona
Cincy over Oregon St
Georgia over ASU
ND over UW
ND over Wazzu

ND can drive this nail even further down, and claim the PAC10 lead, with a win over Stanford. :)

Goes the show the Big East only has a few good teams, while the other conference like the SEC have so many good teams they beat each other up and knock each other out of the rankings.. GA even as bad as they are this year would be in that top 4 group in the Big East teams... Tennesee would be at least in the top 2.

Sure they would, sure they would. :D If that makes you feel better at night, keep telling yourself that.

Is it ME, or does it seems like the SECs referees are going out of their way to make sure EITHER Alabama or Florida gets a chance at the NCG?

If they aren't, they sure look like they are. Maybe, just maybe, the SEC officials got instruction over the summer on officiating from the BE officials. I have seen calls there that if they weren't paid to make, I am honestly surprised.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)