NCAA Football 2009-10 Season

Can't wait - heading to my first game in South Bend this weekend.

Hoping I can witness a historic UConn win, and possibly knock the Irish out of the Big East bowl picture in the process!!!

Having seen UConn & ND play this season, I would put my $$$ on UConn. :D

As to ND getting a Big East bowl bid, they don't play football in the BE, so that is not likely. ND may be able to get a bowl this year, but even in one like the Harmonica Bowl in Nashville or the Motor City Bowl in Detroit, its highly unlikely they will win it. Nobody packed the schedule with turkeys more than Charlie.

Having seen UConn & ND play this season, I would put my $$$ on UConn. :D

As to ND getting a Big East bowl bid, they don't play football in the BE, so that is not likely. ND may be able to get a bowl this year, but even in one like the Harmonica Bowl in Nashville or the Motor City Bowl in Detroit, its highly unlikely they will win it. Nobody packed the schedule with turkeys more than Charlie.

When it comes to Bowl bids, ND is lumped into the Big East and is eligible for one of their bowls every year.

Yep, and the fact is - if they're 7-5, they're very attractive to any of our bowls, even the Gator. This is why we need to knock them to 6-5, and hope Stanford beats them too. 6-6, and it's likely another Hawaii-esque bowl for them.

Yep, and the fact is - if they're 7-5, they're very attractive to any of our bowls, even the Gator. This is why we need to knock them to 6-5, and hope Stanford beats them too. 6-6, and it's likely another Hawaii-esque bowl for them.
I hope yall do. Then it puts them as a possibility for the GMAC bowl in Mobile. That would be a huge draw, even with a subpar season. Many would love to see them.

Hoping I can witness a historic UConn win, and possibly knock the Irish out of the Big East bowl picture in the process!!!

Enjoy it fully.

I've made numerous CFB "Road Trips" over the past 25 years.

A trek to South Bend rates toward the top.

Have fun buddy. Notre Dame Stadium and South Bend are sacred grounds as far as college football is concerned. Take it all in and take plenty of pictures.

When it comes to Bowl bids, ND is lumped into the Big East and is eligible for one of their bowls every year.

Dayum, had forgotten about that. Talking about making a deal with the devil.

I am betting that UConn and Stanford both kick em to the curb. Both have played and beaten real teams this year while ND has not.

Yeah, they might get to play Kentucky. :D

That would make my neighbors happy as most of them are UK fans. Seeing UK play and beat ND would make them even happier, even if it is somewhere like the GMAC bowl.

Dayum, had forgotten about that. Talking about making a deal with the devil.

I am betting that UConn and Stanford both kick em to the curb. Both have played and beaten real teams this year while ND has not.

UConn's 4 Wins this season are over the following teams

Ohio University
Baylor
Rhode Island
Louisville

Let's not get carried away about beating "Real teams":)

Nothing against UConn or you either(hancock) UConn has had a load of adversity to overcome and have had some brutal late losses.

Will they beat Notre Dame? Possibly, my assessment would be that Notre Dame has far more talent but UConn is better coached and hard to say how the Irish will play out the final games of their season with the Coaching situation hanging overhead like Damocles sword.

Last edited by a moderator:
On the eve of the 'Big Game', here is a note of interest.

The crazy 'Band on the Field' game was John Elway's final game at Stanford. That play kept Elway out of a bowl that year, because it was back in the days when every team did not go to a bowl.

In fact, Elway never did play in a bowl game...

Sandra

Last edited:
Once upon a time the Big Ten didn't allow a team to play in the same bowl two years in a row as well.

Actually, they did, back in the day, the Rose was the only bowl they couild go to and the top team was the only one going.

What I think you are thinking of is a while back when the Big Ten had a rule that if two teams records were tied, the team that had gone most recent would be left home.
Another stupid rule from them.
I don't believe that is still in effect, but it could be I guess.

UConn's 4 Wins this season are over the following teams

Ohio University
Baylor
Rhode Island
Louisville

Let's not get carried away about beating "Real teams":)

Nothing against UConn or you either(hancock) UConn has had a load of adversity to overcome and have had some brutal late losses.

Will they beat Notre Dame? Possibly, my assessment would be that Notre Dame has far more talent but UConn is better coached and hard to say how the Irish will play out the final games of their season with the Coaching situation hanging overhead like Damocles sword.

And ND beat who?

Nevada from the almighty WAC
MI State from the bottom half of the BIG10
Purdue from the bottom half of the BIG10
Washington from the cellar of the PAC10
The ever reliable Boston College (who knows which team showed up that day?)
Washington State who has managed one win this season. (1-9)

ND also lost to Navy (big surprise after seeing Navy play tOSU, NOT) and Michigan (huh?). :D

UConn has lost 5 games, but look at the margins:
#19 North Carolina by 2 (12-10) *
#9 Pittsburgh by 3 (24-21) *
#23 WVU by 4 (28-24) *
Rutgers by 4 (28-24)
#5 Cincinnati by 2 (47-45) *

Not exactly blown out in any of those games and some against some top-notch schools (see *s above) four of which are in the top 25.

ND lost to a couple of top 25 teams:
#6 USC by 7 (34-27)
#9 Pittsburgh by 5 (27-22)
but they also lost to Michigan and Navy. :)

Even Dr Lou is saying that ND will go down in flames at the hands of UConn. :D OK, he did that only because he lost a wager with Mark May about the ND - Pitt game.

It will be an interesting game, that much is for sure.

And ND beat who?

Nevada from the almighty WAC
MI State from the bottom half of the BIG10
Purdue from the bottom half of the BIG10
Washington from the cellar of the PAC10
The ever reliable Boston College (who knows which team showed up that day?)
Washington State who has managed one win this season. (1-9)

ND also lost to Navy (big surprise after seeing Navy play tOSU, NOT) and Michigan (huh?). :D

UConn has lost 5 games, but look at the margins:
#19 North Carolina by 2 (12-10) *
#9 Pittsburgh by 3 (24-21) *
#23 WVU by 4 (28-24) *
Rutgers by 4 (28-24)
#5 Cincinnati by 2 (47-45) *

Not exactly blown out in any of those games and some against some top-notch schools (see *s above) four of which are in the top 25.

ND lost to a couple of top 25 teams:
#6 USC by 7 (34-27)
#9 Pittsburgh by 5 (27-22)
but they also lost to Michigan and Navy. :)

Even Dr Lou is saying that ND will go down in flames at the hands of UConn. :D OK, he did that only because he lost a wager with Mark May about the ND - Pitt game.

It will be an interesting game, that much is for sure.

I despise Mark May ........ Ugh, he's the new Trev Alberts, not so NEW anymore though.

I'm floored that he's picking OSU to win after him bashing them all year long.

btw, UCONN will win this game by 7 or more, probably a lot more.

I am a little curious about the FIU/Florida game. That program at FIU is getting better and Florida, has not impressed me in the least. I am not saying that FIU will win, but I would NOT be surprised if FIU gives them a difficult game.

I am a little curious about the FIU/Florida game. That program at FIU is getting better and Florida, has not impressed me in the least. I am not saying that FIU will win, but I would NOT be surprised if FIU gives them a difficult game.

Florida should win easily in the end. That said, I was at the Bama/FIU game and was really impressed with the team speed that they had. It was a close game until the third quarter.
I got to walk the sidelines and see these kids up close. There is some size, speed, and talent there.

Hancox, As others have said, enjoy the experience in South Bend and all it encompasses.Walk the quad,visit the Grotto,take in the game time atmosphere and pageantry. Even if you are a ND hater,it is one of the greatest sports experiences, you will ever have. Sadly, I don't think you are going to experience a UConn victory.

Florida should win easily in the end. That said, I was at the Bama/FIU game and was really impressed with the team speed that they had. It was a close game until the third quarter.
I got to walk the sidelines and see these kids up close. There is some size, speed, and talent there.

That is all that home-grown talent. The 3 states with the biggest pool of talent has always been Florida, Texas and California. And Coach Cristobal, former 'Cane during the 80s champnionship years as an offensive linemen, has done a very good job taking a couple of prized players from the Floridas, Miamis and FSUs of this world...they are on the verge of being another South Florida...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)