NCAA ref on the take?

mccoyrj

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Aug 27, 2007
Southwest Ohio
I wonder if this ref owns a new boat down in bayou country?
laughing.gif

[youtube]VqfOCB21qwA&hl=en&fs=1[/youtube]

I watched the game live and both teams played a great very physical game. Carolina needs to improve their offensive line and running backs. LSU had one extra player on the field on the play inquestion.:D I have never seen anything like it before. Although Coach Spurrier and the SEC clear the ref of any intentional wrong doing it appears to me that the ref intentionally went after him. Not enough there to accuse him of being on the take though. ESPN has a better video. Take a look and give your opinion. Referee Tackles South Carolina QB - ESPN Video

Last edited:
I officiate high school football and IMO that umpire was out of position. As the QB rolled outside the umpire should have backed towards the middle of the field, or at least stayed where he was, not move in the direction of the run.

As for using his forearm to "defend himself", that's BS. Anytime I've had players too close to me I always use outstretched arms and my hands to either steer the player away or myself away from them.

I officiate high school football and IMO that umpire was out of position. As the QB rolled outside the umpire should have backed towards the middle of the field, or at least stayed where he was, not move in the direction of the run.

As for using his forearm to "defend himself", that's BS. Anytime I've had players too close to me I always use outstretched arms and my hands to either steer the player away or myself away from them.

I officiate also, high school and college Basketball and Football. I believe the Umpire had to step out of the way to get away from the fake dive down the middle. He wasn't out of position, he was in a bad position, and had to defend himself. He is in a dangerous position. There also is a big difference between HS and College, you're not going to use outstretched arms to control Big, fast, strong players. You'd be killed.

As for using his forearm to "defend himself", that's BS
. Anytime I've had players too close to me I always use outstretched arms and my hands to either steer the player away or myself away from them.

Defend himself? BS is the correct term. Look at that clip again, this ref raised his forearm and stepped into the kid. I understand he's a former LB in college, maybe his football instincts got the best of him.:D

Defend himself? BS is the correct term. Look at that clip again, this ref raised his forearm and stepped into the kid. I understand he's a former LB in college, maybe his football instincts got the best of him.:D
That's why I put it in quotes.

A spokesman said the umpire raised his arm to defend himself after a change of direction by the runner.

ESPN - Spurrier, SEC clear official in collision with South Carolina QB Garcia - College Football

I've spoken with fellow officials who work NCAA games so it doesn't matter which level you work, you never move towards the runner to put yourself that close to the action.

He went out of his way to hit the QB and should be suspended or fired. Is there an investigation?

That's why I put it in quotes.

ESPN - Spurrier, SEC clear official in collision with South Carolina QB Garcia - College Football

I've spoken with fellow officials who work NCAA games so it doesn't matter which level you work, you never move towards the runner to put yourself that close to the action.

I was agreeing with you my friend. I was telling everyone else to recheck that clip. Poor communication on my part. I can see how my post would be misunderstood. My bad.

He moved in like a linebacker and towards the runner then lowered his shoulder which is absolutely clear. I think that he had a little flashback and he was so in the zone that he thought he was back in the game. I have never been a referee but I play hockey in a no check league. Quite a few times I have absolutely laid out guys just because I was so in the zone and I was trained to really hit hard.

What he did was wrong but I think it was more a case of "temporary insanity" if you know what I mean.

I am a huge Carolina Fan. Some can give the ref the benefit of the doubt and I will not argue. Much.This time. If however QB Garcia somehow was to have been injured in this fiasco we would not be having this type of discussion. This Ref was very lucky this time...................

I am a huge Carolina Fan. Some can give the ref the benefit of the doubt and I will not argue. Much.This time. If however QB Garcia somehow was to have been injured in this fiasco we would not be having this type of discussion. This Ref was very lucky this time...................

I cannot give him the benefit of the doubt,
After looking atit a few times , it's pretty clear that he move towards the player and attacked (in a football way) the runner....

Never seen anything like that before and I doubt that I ever will.

Jimbo

I cannot give him the benefit of the doubt,
After looking atit a few times , it's pretty clear that he move towards the player and attacked (in a football way) the runner....

Never seen anything like that before and I doubt that I ever will.

Jimbo

I totally agree.

I've looked at it over and over, and the ref actually propelled himself into the player.........forearm first. :eek:

Watch the youtube video again, and pause it at the :12 mark (the pause button is in the lower left hand corner).

Guys, just a thought: Wilbur was between a rock and a hard place. The runner cut toward him; the defensive player was behind him. The thought that obviously ran through his head was: "If i stand here and act as a shield for the runner, the guy behind me is going to take me out--hamstring injury, busted knee, maybe back...I'm changing this situation..." And he did. I've seen refs get run over in some of these games, and none of them seem to like it, especially when they get sandwiched between a runner and a linebacker. Go Wilbur!

Guys, just a thought: Wilbur was between a rock and a hard place. The runner cut toward him; the defensive player was behind him. The thought that obviously ran through his head was: "If i stand here and act as a shield for the runner, the guy behind me is going to take me out--hamstring injury, busted knee, maybe back...I'm changing this situation..." And he did. I've seen refs get run over in some of these games, and none of them seem to like it, especially when they get sandwiched between a runner and a linebacker. Go Wilbur!

I think he just thought to himself "that bigass cajun mofo said he'd kill me if I don't help these sorry bengal bastards win this game." ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts