Need 8ft C Band Mesh Dish

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Brian's too smart to get involved in making c-band dishes. There simply isn't any market for them in the US that's lucrative enough to manufacture them for people like us.

Besides, we've hardly even come close to exhausting the old 'available for the taking' old ones...

I'm more interested in replacing my panels than buying a new dish. But I can't find Ku band capable mesh at a reasonable price. Skyvision charges $65 just for a single panel. Since I need to replace 8 sections on my 12' Paraclipse I'd rather go buy a new dish than replace the panels at $65 per panel. I haven't seen any unused 12 footers around here so there's not a lot for the taking.

Anyway, I'm gonna try to get my Paraclipse to work on C-band again using galvanized metallic "cloth" with 1/4" grids.

Last edited:
I completely disagree with this statement. Most people just aren't aware of the kind and quality of free programming available on C-band. Also, if FTA receiver manufactures improved their boxes and targeted the North American market, more people would turn to C-band for tv viewing.

I've been telling my friends that they don't know what they're missing. Still, it would help bolster the C-band market if there were decent subscription programming available. HITS simply isn't good enough.

I think the main thing keeping c band from becoming popular again is convenience. If you moved a 4:2:0 CBS hd channel, the Luken mux on 87w and Ion mux on 103w all to 99w then added epg info and made them all receivable with a 6ft dish you would add a lot of new c banders.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys...spring is almost here and I am really looking forward to installing my first C Band Dish!

Hmm. I thought 10 footers were the minimum for reliably receiving DVD-S2 signals so how can they say that those 8 footers will receive 100% of NA programming? Anyway, if it truly can reliably receive everything then $460 would be worth it.

P.S. I hate having to convert from metric.......:p

Go to Craig's list the going price for a 10 ft dish is about $150 bucks.see on in some ones yard,stop in and ask them if it 's for sale . Absolutely no need to buy a new one,there is plenty of them out there.lots of people just want them out of their yard,and will give you free.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Go to Craig's list the going price for a 10 ft dish is about $150 bucks.see on in some ones yard,stop in and ask them if it 's for sale . Absolutely no need to buy a new one,there is plenty of them out there.lots of people just want them out of their yard,and will give you free.

That's not bad advise but some folks would pay more to have one delivered to there door rather than having to rent a truck. And dishes are not plentiful in all parts of the country. I've only seen 1 other c band dish within 100 miles of my location and none within 100 miles on craigslist. And I do check daily.

Guess it's time for me to chime in and update.
The news that Scott pulled from my website was written on January 25, three days after my wife passed away,
so I feel it necessary to re-visit the subject and provide a more detailed explanation. And thank you again to the many folks that responded to Scott's call to help me at that time. The financial boost was much needed and appreciated, and I am now closer to getting refocused and back into business.

Some comments about mesh antennas have been made by a few that may not fully understand the logistics and economics of running a manufacturing operation. SAMI did NOT go out of business because of the high cost of American labor. They're in rural Arkansas, and had a small but well trained staff that they pulled together whenever they needed to make a production run. The failure of the general public to support the C-band business made it next to impossible for them to keep the antenna production a full time concern. Only when a large order (by large, I mean maybe 50 to 100 antennas from one customer) was secured, they quickly mobilized, ordered steel and aluminum materials, and geared up for that production run, and added a few antennas to put into general inventory. Towards the end, this happened maybe 3 or 4 times a year. It became more trouble that it was worth to make a decent profit, even with multiple price increases during their final years of operation.

Words of advice to anyone considering importing mesh antennas from China. Watch out! If you think back to how American manufacturers of C-band antennas went out of business one by one, you will find that the companies that were making only four piece sectional antennas closed their doors first. Orbitron survived well until KTI bought them, and discontinued the Orbitron line of knock-down type antennas that had to be assembled like an erector set and then the mesh installed afterwards, on site. KTI had their own lighter-weight version, which they ended up having SAMI manufacture on their behalf, in addition to the normal SAMI line of sectional antennas. Once KTI closed their doors, SAMI was on its own, and they found that economics dictated that the knockdown type of antenna was much more profitable, especially if you had to ship them one at a time to individual customers. UPS, FedEx and the Post Office will generally NOT transport sectional antennas because they are too large in the packaging department. Anyone contemplating sectional antennas from China will find this out in a hurry. You can get about three times as many knockdown antennas into a shipping container as you can sectional types (based upon Orbitron experience shipping 8.5, 10 and 12 footers to the Middle East in the 1990s). Therefore, you would be foolish to import an often poorly made Chinese sectional antenna that may seem cheap---freight costs will kill you once you need to re-ship to a customer.

Orbitron and KTI spent a lot of time in researching the proper way to build a knockdown type antenna. Individual ribs must be produced with an accurate curve, with tight specifications for drilling holes. The tooling to make these types of antennas is very expensive. Aluminum extrusions must be bent perfectly to match the curve required for an accurate parabola. This is something that we had perfected when such antennas were made in North America.
Even with slightly higher labor costs here, a Chinese company will struggle to get this done correctly, and then there is the cost of shipping all of this material across the ocean. Quality control is a real issue, as is environmentally sound practices of painting the mesh. All are of great concern when choosing whether to manufacture here or there.

As explained about 7 weeks ago, the person that purchased all of the manufacturing tooling that was from SAMI did not store it properly, and a critical machine that made expanded aluminum mesh from solid coils of aluminum stock was left outdoors for 2 years without any weather protection. Independent inspection tells us that even if that machine could be repaired, it may never operate with the reliability necessary to trust it for commercial use.

Since this discussion, we have thought about alternative ways to make mesh antennas. Aluminum mesh can be purchased (at a higher cost) domestically. It has to be cut into accurate segments and also has to be painted.
These two factors will add costs to the process, and do not help make an economic case to do this. We are also trying to see what we can do by putting together the other parts from independent sources. Certain pieces of a knockdown antenna have previously used expensive tooling (such as the punched "finger" plate to keep ribs aligned between the front and back center plates). How to duplicate that without breaking the bank. All of this needs to get to the painting booth.

Suppose that you want galvanizing done on a mount. I found out that there is one remaining facility near Chicago. It's a nasty toxic process that is getting regulated out of business as facilities close, and they are getting a lot more for their work now.

In a nutshell, we are still considering the idea of mesh antennas, but have to fight an uphill battle to do it right, in addition to financing. It is not a get rich quick business, and has an uncertain future, given new competition from Internet delivery, which is starting to replace satellite in most new startup applications.

Mike I still hope it can be done.

If there is anyone who can figure out a way it will be you.

Thanks for the update Mike.

Very well said Mike Kohl..Being a Tool and Die Maker I understand from the ground level how all this works and I can say it is very hard to justify the cost of tooling up for production when the market is so small...That is just the beginning!!..In all reality I do not see a decent Cband dish going into production again..Sad to say but it is what it is!!

Back to the op lenny500..Do not believe the claims about the 2.4 on ebay...You are better off finding a 10 footer or larger.KTI,Unimesh..etc..Have you found a BUD?
Good luck..HN..

Mike,

Thank you for taking the time to explain all of the background details. We hobbyists tend to look through rose colored glasses when it comes to C band...

Mike has had my 100% support on a "Made in America" dish. Hope that this will be a reality as the import options are very expensive to build and transport. Unfortunately, in the unknowns of planning and production, time is not on our side....

My fear is that as the used inventory continues to decline in the absence of new quality dishes, this will accelerate the downward spiral of the C-band hobby and encourage the cheap junk to be distributed. The resulting dissatisfaction by hobbyist who find rusting flimsy crap in their yards and their bank accounts $500+ lighter certainly won't increase interest in the hobby.

Quality stuff can be imported, but we certainly don't want this inventory investment to jeopardize a "Made in America" project! Any concrete timelines for this dish project?

Brian Gohl
Titanium Satellite

I sent Tek2000 an email asking them where they get their mesh dishes from. Here is their reply:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thank you for your continued interest in our products.

All our prime focus mesh satellite antennas are designed, engineered and manufactured in Ontario, Canada. We work closely with the manufacturer and are the main distributor of these antennas in Canada and the USA.

Our current product line includes:

1. 210cm 4-panel Mesh Antenna (in production)
2. 240cm 4-panel Mesh Antenna (in production)
3. 300cm 6-panel Mesh Antenna (available April/2014)
4. 350cm 6-panel Mesh Antenna (available April/2014)

We look forward to supplying our customers with quality mesh antennas at affordable prices.

If you have any further questions about our products or wish to place an order, please don't hesitate to contact us.

Sincerely,

-Tek2000
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks roonysat...Nothing I would like more than to be wrong in my previous post....Has anyone purchased and set up 1 of these dish`s built in Canada?..That 350cm when hits the market has sparked my curiosity!...Is slightly under 11.5 feet.

I sent Tek2000 an email asking them where they get their mesh dishes from. Here is their reply:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thank you for your continued interest in our products.

All our prime focus mesh satellite antennas are designed, engineered and manufactured in Ontario, Canada. We work closely with the manufacturer and are the main distributor of these antennas in Canada and the USA.

Our current product line includes:

1. 210cm 4-panel Mesh Antenna (in production)
2. 240cm 4-panel Mesh Antenna (in production)
3. 300cm 6-panel Mesh Antenna (available April/2014)
4. 350cm 6-panel Mesh Antenna (available April/2014)

We look forward to supplying our customers with quality mesh antennas at affordable prices.

If you have any further questions about our products or wish to place an order, please don't hesitate to contact us.

Sincerely,

-Tek2000
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It'll be interesting to see what their definition of affordable is.......

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)