Need a BISS IRD!

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

14GHz

Original poster
Mar 11, 2010
Washington DC
Hi... I'm an SNG uplink engineer based in DC. Our teleport is trying to deploy a private channel for a client with 50 some downlink sites in Europe. Normally, when we do BISS, we use our professional IRDs, which cost several thousand dollars each. This is not practical for this particular job. We are going to be using Tandberg E5500 encoders with BISS for the uplink, but need to find a cheap IRD for the downlink sites that can support BISS-E. While I have ten years experience running portable uplinks all over the world (most recently 4 paths out of Haiti) I have no idea about the "comsumer" Linux IRD's. Will any of these cheap Linux-based IRD's here on this site accept my BISS key right out of the box, or is there any additional software I need to install? If so, I have not been able to find a tutorial on that here, if someone could point me in the right direction, that would be great.

Thanks!
Bob
http://www.tvuplink.net

Welcome to SatelliteGuys !

:welcome

Welcome to our site - - - I don't know the answer to your question - - - but many very smart folks here that I'm sure will help.

Best of Success with you endeavor!

That would be great. If anyone has a system they sell, I would like to hear about it. Chapelrun- I see you have a C130 on your Avitar. Do you fly them? They are LOUD! I had to listen to several of them 24/7 (and withstand the hurricane wind they generate) while uplinking at the airport in Port Au Prince for 5 days!
IMG_6101.JPG

Welcome to the forum!

We carry STBs (GEOSATpro DVR1100c, DSR200c) and rack mount (DSRR100 , DSRR100b) receivers which support BISS 1 type.

If you require BISS E, we can implement if the project is adequate quantity to cover the RD.

Please give us a call or drop an email to our sales department for additional information.

Briah Gohl is an Authority in Satellite signal uplink. Welcome to satelliteguys 14GHz, :welcome

That would be great. If anyone has a system they sell, I would like to hear about it. Chapelrun- I see you have a C130 on your Avitar. Do you fly them? They are LOUD! I had to listen to several of them 24/7 (and withstand the hurricane wind they generate) while uplinking at the airport in Port Au Prince for 5 days!
IMG_6101.JPG

I was a C-130 Navigator both in the U.S. Air Force and the Air National Guard for about 12 years. I really miss the flying and I love that airplane - - one of the best of all time!

I was a C-130 Navigator both in the U.S. Air Force and the Air National Guard for about 12 years. I really miss the flying and I love that airplane - - one of the best of all time!

I have flown in many C130's! Fun stuff! I myself am getting in to SNG (allthough at a bad time) Anything you can recommend on what to do other than reading sams manual? Right now im in the proceess of getting my CDL and am trying to get experiance as well as education on the production side. Hopefully that with my miltary experiance can launch things for someone. I was looking into michell tech, but I cant afford to move my family for their degree. I want to do the slingpath trainning, and most likely would have to pay out of pocket for that.

Awesome. I love flying. I have a Glasair RG, its a 2-seat, snub-wing racer. +6/-4G's, 140 deg/sec roll rate. Its no Pitts or Extra on aerobatics, but its a blast to fly.

Goalie- Sam's manual is good. Are you a member of the SNGForum?

Awesome. I love flying. I have a Glasair RG, its a 2-seat, snub-wing racer. +6/-4G's, 140 deg/sec roll rate. Its no Pitts or Extra on aerobatics, but its a blast to fly.

Goalie- Sam's manual is good. Are you a member of the SNGForum?

Yep.. I read there quite often, although I dont post as much as I would like to as I dont want to "offend" anyone. I was told the last time I posted there wanting to research equipment, and read the manuals of equipment, people got pissy and basically questioned who I was. I didn't see it as the forum crashed and was reverted back a year, by the time I did get around to reading it. Its very hard to get into this business and I absolutely want to get into it. But at the same time reputations are on the line and I don't want to be the new guy that screws things up for someone. I completely understand that its the big leagues out there, I just wish I knew of a triple AAA team I could go and play around with to learn and quickly become apart of the Big leagues. Nothing is cooler than covering the news or uplinking sports. People say it gets tiring, I don't see how. The only thing that would get tiring is the Corporate BS that goes on, but you have that with any job. :)

BISS-1 is fine, the Tandberg encoders support that mode. I'm going to give you a phone call...
I thought their price would make 'em attractive as-is, especially compared to the commercial box prices.
We're always glad to give Brian the business, too! - :D

:D Thank you!

Note: Anyone can see the BISS key input screen on the GEOSATpro DVR1100c / DSR100c or DSR200c receivers by pressing the channel list button then pressing the Blue button

:D Thank you!

Note: Anyone can see the BISS key input screen on the GEOSATpro DVR1100c / DSR100c or DSR200c receivers by pressing the channel list button then pressing the Blue button

We bought one of the dSR200's for evaluation, and if it works, we're going to buy 60 of them for deployment in the field. How hard is it to change the BISS key? From what I was told, the client will want to change BISS keys depending on who is supposed to watch each broadcast. They will distribute the key over email to the authorized sites. They will then (hopefully) enter the key and watch the program.

Goaliebob- Sorry to hear people there were snippy, that's not the case I found when getting into the biz. Probably the easiest way to get into it is to work at a small market local station, although they are so short on money they expect the truck op to also be a shooter/editor/whatever else they happen to need. But I can understand maybe why they were that way, there is precious little work to be had, and a lot of vendor truck owners don't want to see more competition... even though a lot of these companies have trouble finding a good operator.

How hard is it to change the BISS key?

BISS 1 is very simple to implement.

Broadcaster:
Set the key in the encoder
Provide key to authorized viewers

Viewer:
Press List/OK button
Press Blue Button
Enter 18 digit key provided by broadcaster

Next broadcast - Change the key in the encoder
Provide new key to authorized viewers

Viewer:
Press List/OK button
Press Blue Button
Enter 18 digit key provided by broadcaster

Etc......

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)