[Other Topic] Need a FM translator? There are some for sale

Ah, but until built, the CP for the new AND the old will be available....and after it's built, the history of the moves will be on the FCC site.
Also it should be noted, NON COMMERCIAL translators are not eligible for use by AM's.......they have to originate in the commercial band to be moved for AM's in any of these windows of opportunity.

Ah, but until built, the CP for the new AND the old will be available....and after it's built, the history of the moves will be on the FCC site.
But what I'm saying is those 2 translators that took a few years and hopped down Hwy 23 from Hinckley to St Cloud are still **technically** licensed to Hinckley. The newer ones seem to be now licensed to the new city (and not the city having the translator taken away from)

Also it should be noted, NON COMMERCIAL translators are not eligible for use by AM's.......they have to originate in the commercial band to be moved for AM's in any of these windows of opportunity.
I havent seen any here in the upper midwest on non-comm. Now the 2 above were used by a non comm (Minn Public Radio) but were in the commercial band

I'm still a bit dense on the question, Ice. don't know why. Our translator never left the city of license coverage area, so we didn't have the issue you mention for the other stations.... and, I should clarify my previous...FM translators in the traditionally owned and operated in the non commercial part of the FM I'm told are not eligible for this "drop in" window for AMs.

Reactions: Mr Tony
I'm still a bit dense on the question, Ice. don't know why. Our translator never left the city of license coverage area, so we didn't have the issue you mention for the other stations....
no worries. I was just confused how the FCC still considers those 2 translators as licensed to Hinckley yet they are 70 miles away in St Cloud now

and, I should clarify my previous...FM translators in the traditionally owned and operated in the non commercial part of the FM I'm told are not eligible for this "drop in" window for AMs.
That I can understand.

I'd almost bet its an FCC database issue, Ice. For awhile, our translator and many others were listed as "0.00 watts ERP." That was a fun one to see.....and awful when you're shopping for a translator.

seems odd though that its been over a year since those stations moved and its not updated yet the Hastings translator shows both the "old" location (Silver Bay) and the CP for the new spot in Hastings

Oh well no worries :)

I guess the reason I brought it up was I was looking at MRN (Motor Racing Network) affiliates and it showed
St Cloud (Sauk Rapids) WMIN-AM 1010
Hinckley WMIN-FX 106.5

(not accusing here) but do you suppose they built them but didn't report the build and the move? I didn't look 'em up, either..is there an STA filed on any of them? (special temporary authority) Maybe something slipped through the cracks. The FCC is so loaded with things these days....

(not accusing here) but do you suppose they built them but didn't report the build and the move? I didn't look 'em up, either..is there an STA filed on any of them? (special temporary authority) Maybe something slipped through the cracks. The FCC is so loaded with things these days....
when I ran the callsign on the FCC page I see the application (Minor change in licensed facilities,), approvals and licensed to covers.
https://www.fcc.gov/search/#q=W293CS&o=new

I honestly dont know.

I can't speak for FM translators, but I know TV translators and LPTV stations don't actually have anything in the rules requiring coverage of the community of license. The logic behind this is that a translator may be in a sparsely populated unorganized area that doesn't have a named community, or an LPTV may cover just a portion of a community where a specific population lives. But it's how you end up with things like WASA-LD in New York, which is licensed to Port Jervis but doesn't even come close to covering Port Jervis anymore.

LPTV and TV translator stations can update their communities of license without any FCC permission, as a result. I think it just takes a license modification filing. But if the licensee hasn't bothered to update it, then it wouldn't change, of course.

- Trip

Interesting that a station bought an allocation.....but technically cant close (or move it) until July when they are allowed to buy it due to their class

from northpine

The Nebraska Rural Radio Association is buying K288GL/105.5 (Lead, SD) from Horizon Christian Fellowship for $15,000. The application states the NRRA will seek to move the translator to Scottsbluff, NE, to relay its KNEB/960 under the current AM revitalization window. The NRRA has signed on three other AM-on-FM translators in recent months. However, the application to move K288GL will have to wait until later this year because KNEB is a class B license, and the filing window for 250-mile moves is limited to class C and D AM stations until July 29. K288GL is not yet on the air and faced an April 22 deadline to sign on, but the asset purchase agreement states that NRRA will seek an extension due to the sale.

the FCC will list the new city. KDWA Hastings, MN AM1460 signed on 97.9 a couple weeks ago and the FCC site shows the CP for Hastings
https://transition.fcc.gov/fcc-bin/fmq?call=W280AA
and already they are asking to move the frequency

About a month after beginning test broadcasts, K&M Broadcasting has applied to move K250BO/97.9 (Hastings) to 97.7, where it would remain 250 Watts. The reason for the move is not specified in the application, but as noted here earlier, the existence of KEFE-LP/97.9 (Lakeville) limits the translator's fringe coverage to the south-central Twin Cities metro area. K250BO relays K&M's KDWA/1460 (Hastings).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts