Need a little help on the HD setup

CWS_kahuna

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Jul 21, 2004
California
This afternoon I was helping a friend install a new plasma HDTV in his new house, while we were working on the TV install the his Dish Network install guy showed up to put up his new dish on the roof because my buddy had moved. I talked my buddy into getting an HD box and they gave him the new vip211. I don't have Dish Network but I knew that was the new mpeg 4 box to get. The install guy put up a Dish 500 on the roof and set up his new HD box as well as his old (I believe) 625DVR. He gets the HD channels I expected TNT, Discovery, ESPN, HDnet, HDnet Movies, HBO & Showtime. I thought people in the LA market also could get CBS in HD at this time, if so what channel is that on, is it simply just channel 2? Will my friend need a 2nd dish installed to get the new HD channels coming Feb 1st or is that only if he wants the Voom package that he will need the additional Dish? The install guy did not seem to know which is why I am asking the pros on this forum. After the install was done my buddy was receiving a signal at the 110 & 119 slots, his receiver had 3 places to show a sat signal and the 3rd was just blank, is the 3rd slot for the Voom location or should he also be recieving another signal. Basically I want to be able to tell my buddy what all he will need in order to get the new HD channels in feburary, what he will need to get the 4 major locals in HD and what exactly he needs to get Voom if he decides he wants it.

Anyway I must say that while we were checking out some of his new HD channels that Master & Commander looked great on HBOHD and Rides looked great on Discovery. There was also a concert on HDnet that was looking very nice as well. I am sort of wishing I was not tied into my D* contract.

You can a second dish installed if you ask DISH for this channel KHIZ-TV - 64. You can get a second dish installed for free, however since this channel is at the 148 sat you still won't get VOOM, but if you move it to point to the 129 sat you will be able to get VOOM. Too bad they just didn't install the new dish 1000 then you would be all set.

Strikeldr said:
The LA CBS HD channel is 9484. You need to have a dish pointed at 148 to get it.

Wow that stinks, so does anyone know if the HD LIL that will be launched also be on 148 or is that gonna get moved?

That stinks that the installer did not give him the Dish 1000, I wonder if he can complain to Dish that the installer did not set him up correctly and have them fix it. From what I am gathering though he will need a Dish 1000 plus another dish pointed at 148 unless the locals move to another slot. Will 2 Dish 500s work, 1 pointed at 110 & 119 and the other at 129 & 148? He still has his old Dish 500 from what he was telling me.

Thanks for the replies.

Yeah he needs to get a Dish 1000 that way he can get all the new HD plus the HD Locals when they go live in his aera.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts