Need a little help with my RV antenna

havok72

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jun 14, 2007
Indiana
Hello everyone, I have a new 2016 RV with the standard Winegard antenna. I am having issues with it locking on to a channel. According to the TV, it says the signal is good, but it will break up a lot. I had two tvs on the same antenna and still have problems. This past weekend, I switched coax wires around trying to see if something was loose or bad. I hooked up just the smaller tv in the bedroom and it seemed to work better. But my daughter wanted to watch a DVD on the big tv in living room. As soon as I turned on the big tv, the little tv lost signal completely. The big tv was not even hooked up to the antenna. I am guessing it is a power issue now. I have a new King antenna I am going to try next. Any other ideas? Thank you your time.

You would benefit from being more specific than "the standard Winegard antenna". Winegard has made quite a few mobile antennas over the years and they currently offer four or five roof-mount models.

That one TV interferes with another suggests that your DVD player may be whacking power to the antenna when it is playing. Is the DVD player hooked up via coax?

Thank you for the response. I thought all the winegard "bat wing" antennas were the same. I did add the wing man attachment to the antenna, but have not seen much of improvement. Not sure about the dvd player. The dvd player is RV all in one system (Radio, DVD, Blue tooth). That is next to pull out and check. I did find some loose coax connections on the back of the amplifier wallplate, but again, didn't seem to fix the intermittent drops in signal.

A tvfool report may be of value.
http://www.tvfool.com/index.php?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29
Put in your exact location

I could be that turning on the DVD removes the power to the antenna, if it's an amplified model. (Power goes into the coax, inside, to power the amp in antenna)
Power inserter should be the first thing the coax goes to from the antenna. then the splitter, to each TV (or the dvd player and continue to the TV)

I never had luck with the antenna on my R/V, so i purchased a cheap walmart tv, re ran the wireing bypassing the internal stuff and put my cheapy walmart antenna on the roof mount. I now get some stations when i go camping. I used to take a dish network dish with us when we had that, but we are now on direc tv and i hate having to dither the dish while camping so we use the antenna setup i modified and a roku box and my cellular hotspot (if it works where we are)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts