Need a little wiring help

Status
Please reply by conversation.

cartdan

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Apr 18, 2004
First of all, let me say that I know that Directv is going mpeg4 for all the new HD, and I also know that I could probably just call Directv and have them install this upgrade, but...

I just received a free used Samsung HD receiver, powered multiswitch, and three LNB dish and called Directv and they sent me a new access card for it. Now, I would like to swap out my old dish with this three lnb dish and hook up the HD receiver. The only problem is that I've never hooked up this multiswitch before, and I don't want to blow anything up.

The triple LNB has four outputs, are these all the same? I know that I need to run 2 cables from the LNB to the multiswitch.

The multiswitch (35-TRDTV48 4x8) has four inputs labelled:
18V/0 KHz
13V/0 KHz
18V/22 KHz
12V/22K Hz

Which 2 of these 4 inputs should I use?

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

- Dan

First of all, let me say that I know that Directv is going mpeg4 for all the new HD, and I also know that I could probably just call Directv and have them install this upgrade, but...

I just received a free used Samsung HD receiver, powered multiswitch, and three LNB dish and called Directv and they sent me a new access card for it. Now, I would like to swap out my old dish with this three lnb dish and hook up the HD receiver. The only problem is that I've never hooked up this multiswitch before, and I don't want to blow anything up.

The triple LNB has four outputs, are these all the same? I know that I need to run 2 cables from the LNB to the multiswitch.

The multiswitch (35-TRDTV48 4x8) has four inputs labelled:
18V/0 KHz
13V/0 KHz
18V/22 KHz
12V/22K Hz

Which 2 of these 4 inputs should I use?

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

- Dan

You need to run all 4 lines from the dish to the MS and then your appropriate rec's come off of the other side.

Jimbo

Thanks Jimbo - I thought I only needed 2 of them for some reason!?

So, it doesn't matter what order they are connected from the LNB to the multiswitch?

You do know you won't get any mpeg4 with the 3 lnb dish, right? You'll need the new 5 lnb dish for mpeg4, and D* will probably install it for free. And you'll also need a H20 or HR20 receiver for mpeg4.

Thanks again Jimbo, I'll be hooking it up tonight.

And yes Frogg, I know - thanks for the head up though. Just hoping to get Sunday ticket this year in HD, after that I'll have to upgrade.

- Dan

Are you certain that the 3LNB assembly doesn't have an internal multiswitch, in which case you would't use the external multiswitch at all.

What version of the "3-LNB dish" do you have?

1. A PhaseII w/ added Sat C kit?

2. PhaseIII w/ built-in multi-switch?

Seeing he didn't say what other rec's he was going to use, if any,I don't know if he needs a multiswitch or not.

cartdan,
If your only using this Samsung rec. you do not need the multiswitch.
It will handle up to 4 lines, (4 reg. rec's, or if using a dvr you'll need 2 runs to the DVR to take advantage of the different features of the DVR.

Anyways, you can have up to 4 lines run to rec's without needing the M/S.

Jimbo

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts