Need a Receiver Recommendation

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Lone Cloud

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 23, 2008
I have a Sonicview HD which is currently in for warranty service. Overall it's a decent performer for C-Band, except that I don't have enough experience with c-band to know that for a fact.

I have a Viewsat HD also, and, expecially for blind scanning, the unit needs improvement.

I'm looking to tap the veteran c-banders here. What is a solid HD performer for C-band? Can I go FTA boxes? Is the "coming soon" Fortec Passion likely to be any good?

I want solid scanning functions. I do want to change satellite and channel names.

I'd appreciate your thoughts.

I'm considering waiting for the Fortec, if only because they seem to be a big company with receivers not often used for hacking and with good reports about their motor control and scanning.

I don't want to do the Quali-TV that you reviewed because I really like to organize satellites according to longitude and to change channel names to something that tells me what they are.

Thanks

I hate to say it but the passion is probably vapourware. Heard from too many good sources that it wont be available

The Pansat 9200 is one of the better ones for HD and the blind scan is really good :)

If you want blind scan AND HD, the Pansat 9200 is your only choice, IMO. Its also the only HD receiver that does blind scan AND DVB-S2 (with the 175.00 add on card, make sure you get the right one), albeit it won't blind scan DVB-S2, no receiver can as of now.

A LOT of us use a good regular receiver with blindscan ( I use a Coolsat 5000, right now they are very cheap on ebay) and a Diamond 9000 HD to display HD and DVB-S2. The channel/satellite lists are edit-able with ChannelMaster, and they work on both receivers. The only caveat is that DVB-S2 has to be entered with the Diamond channel editor, then the list loaded onto the Diamond with the USB port.

The Pansat/DVB-S2 card combo will cost you 500.00 retail, the Coolsat 5000/Diamond HD combo can be had for 300.00, given careful shopping. :D

Good luck. :up

And, the Pansat 9200 HD receiver also has an ATSC tuner in it for OTA reception.... as well as being a PVR, although the PVR has some major bug issues...

I want solid scanning functions. I do want to change satellite and channel names.

I'd appreciate your thoughts.

Like every one says here the Pan-9200 is the best HD receiver with its smart search, but will not scan in DVBS-2, an does a great job, also need to get the DVBS-2 board from Panerax. now their latest soft-ware is buggie right now but you need it with their latest soft-ware to get S-2 signals. but all in all it is a very good receiver.

Now my receiver of choice is a Pan-9000, 1 great receiver an it live's on c-band, it has its own dish 10-footer Channel master that it runs by itself. but I did like a lot better the Coolsat-8000 for its motor functions better (SV-8000 best motor funtions going), but no smart search with the Cool-8000 or Pan-9000.

Good luck hope all helps.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)