Need advice for a Louisvillle, KY install.....

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Paul Disney IV

Original poster
Jan 17, 2005
Hello

I recently bought a Directv system from Best Buy as a X-mas present for myself. When the installer came out, there was a couple inches of snow on the ground and it was freezing. He took one look at my tall, slanted roof and told me that there were too many trees to do an install. Before I knew it he was gone, along with my dreams of fantastic television programming. However once the snow melted and I started paying more attention, I noticed that there are satelites in my complex (I live in a group of townhouses). I also noticed that while there are a number of trees around, the height of my roof should be sufficent to aim well above them. Here are my questions (keep in mind I AM a rookie): I will not be getting HD right now, just the basic $40 per month programming with locals. How many of the satellites do I need my dish pointed at? The install man did mention that in the old days of one satellite I would've been no problem. Secondly, should I call the installation company and ask for a second opinion (now that the snow is gone and it's a little warmer)? Finally, if they refuse to come back out, who do I complain to, Best Buy (where I bought the system), or Directv? Any help would be appreciated as I am getting desperate! One more note, I have no qualms with getting on the roof myself if I need to....

Paul E. Disney IV

Paul Disney IV said:
Hello

I recently bought a Directv system from Best Buy as a X-mas present for myself. When the installer came out, there was a couple inches of snow on the ground and it was freezing. He took one look at my tall, slanted roof and told me that there were too many trees to do an install. Before I knew it he was gone, along with my dreams of fantastic television programming. However once the snow melted and I started paying more attention, I noticed that there are satelites in my complex (I live in a group of townhouses). I also noticed that while there are a number of trees around, the height of my roof should be sufficent to aim well above them. Here are my questions (keep in mind I AM a rookie): I will not be getting HD right now, just the basic $40 per month programming with locals. How many of the satellites do I need my dish pointed at? The install man did mention that in the old days of one satellite I would've been no problem. Secondly, should I call the installation company and ask for a second opinion (now that the snow is gone and it's a little warmer)? Finally, if they refuse to come back out, who do I complain to, Best Buy (where I bought the system), or Directv? Any help would be appreciated as I am getting desperate! One more note, I have no qualms with getting on the roof myself if I need to....

Paul E. Disney IV

I can't speak for your installer and/or his company, but I can say that the company I install for will not do roof mounts (especially at apartment complexes) except in extremely rare instances. They will mount the dish on the eave or edge of the roof if a gutter is not mounted there. There are ways to get a dish high enough without it being a roof mount (for example you can use a wall mount for an antenna mast with a 6 foot fence post to get past the gutter and above the edge of the roof) but you have to be sure your landlord isn't going to pitch a fit when he sees it. That part you'd have to do yourself as most installer just don't have that equipment or the time to do that kind of mount.
As for how many satellites your dish would need to point at for basic $40 service? One, unless your locals are coming in on another sat, which may mean you actually need a multisat dish (aimed at three satellites) or a second dish pointed in a different direction from the primary dish.
I would bypass BestBuy and call Directv at 1800directv to order the install. They will give the you the best promo they have at that time and will possibly go through a different installation company than BestBuy, which could be to your best advantage. Just be sure to get written permission & installation guidelines from your landlord before the installer arrives.
Good luck.

Just to clarify:

I actually live in a Condo, and have full permission to mount the satellite. Also I currently do have the multi-dish satellite as that was the only one Best Buy had available. The install man said that he couldn't point the dish at all three but suggested that hitting one would be "a piece of cake".

Should I just return my dish/receiver to Best Buy and start over going through Directv?

Paul Disney IV said:
Just to clarify:

I actually live in a Condo, and have full permission to mount the satellite. Also I currently do have the multi-dish satellite as that was the only one Best Buy had available. The install man said that he couldn't point the dish at all three but suggested that hitting one would be "a piece of cake".

Should I just return my dish/receiver to Best Buy and start over going through Directv?

Yes, it is possible to use a multisat dish and only aim it at one sat with no problem. Have you already got your receiver(s) as well? If so, just do the install yourself. If not, then return the stuff you have and call Directv, they will probably give you a better deal than BestBuy (like, FREE, as oppossed to whatever you paid BB). If you want to try the antenna mast wall mount method, just measure the roof overhang (including the gutter) from the wall and check at your local HomeDepot, Lowe's or Walmart to see if they have a mount that will work (HD or L* will also have the galvanized fence post).
If you let me know your zip I can tell you the exact direction your dish needs to point and you can use a compass to determint the best location for your dish to go.

Welcome to Satelliteguys!! :welcome

You need the multisatellite dish to receive Louisville locals.

I would complain to Best Buy. If they don't do anything return the equipment and call up Value Electronics. They take care of everything. Since you're a Satelliteguys member you get a 10% discount.

Paul Disney IV said:
Hello

Paul E. Disney IV

i you talk to best buy they will help you out with this you can get a 2nd opinion on this do you know what the name of the company was that come out to your house was? Do you know if they worked for Install Inc? If so let me know and i can help you out on this>

Thanks everyone for your help!

I do have the receiver and satellite from Best Buy. I received a $75 giftcard when I purchased, Directv had a rebate for the equipment and I get the free install, so I believe I got a solid deal.....assuming I can get it all straightened out.

The name of the company that came out was something like Kentucky Satellite. I just looked for their name on the online yellowpages and couldn't find it.....

If I do attempt to install myself, how do I know which two satellites to angle at? Neutron says that my locals are on another satellite from the regular programming. What is the thrid satellite for?

Thanks again for all of your help.

Paul E. Disney IV

Paul Disney IV said:

I do have the receiver and satellite from Best Buy. I received a $75 giftcard when I purchased, Directv had a rebate for the equipment and I get the free install, so I believe I got a solid deal.....assuming I can get it all straightened out.

The name of the company that came out was something like Kentucky Satellite. I just looked for their name on the online yellowpages and couldn't find it.....

If I do attempt to install myself, how do I know which two satellites to angle at? Neutron says that my locals are on another satellite from the regular programming. What is the thrid satellite for?

Paul E. Disney IV

if you send me you name address and phone number via email i can have my boss give you a call on this matter and it would be good if you had a work-order number so i can let him know it. Tyork37@msn.com
i can bet you that he will take care of this.

Tyork

Paul Disney IV said:

Paul E. Disney IV

First of you will void all warranties on you equipment if you do a self install on it. But if you decided to do it you will have to hit 119,110,101 can be touch if you have never done it. It has to be right on the money you settings and everything. if you think it will go in i would request a 2 opioion on it.

TYORK said:
First of you will void all warranties on you equipment if you do a self install on it. But if you decided to do it you will have to hit 119,110,101 can be touch if you have never done it. It has to be right on the money you settings and everything. if you think it will go in i would request a 2 opioion on it.

I think you just void the warranty on the install itself if you do it yourself... I dont think the warranty on the box is void unless you crack the case if you know waht I mean. I recently bought from VE and did a self install and im pretty sure the warranty is still good...

ShadowEKU said:
I think you just void the warranty on the install itself if you do it yourself... I dont think the warranty on the box is void unless you crack the case if you know waht I mean. I recently bought from VE and did a self install and im pretty sure the warranty is still good...

you may be right but i don't think so. My understanding is that if it is not done by a certified installer than you void your warranty on installtion and receiver cause they will say that you hook it up wrong or didn't install it right.
that is what i have be told several times by D* .

TYORK said:
you may be right but i don't think so. My understanding is that if it is not done by a certified installer than you void your warranty on installtion and receiver cause they will say that you hook it up wrong or didn't install it right.
that is what i have be told several times by D* .

You may be right... I had called about my RCA HD receiver and they were going to send a replacement... I found out it was a bug in all the receivers though... Im assuming they would have still sent it.

Kentuckiana Satellite LLC was the company that came out for the install. I have a blank invoice that the installer left with me. He instructed me to give it to Best Buy and they would give me my money back. TYORK, is this your company, and if not do you think you can still help me? Anybody else have an experience with these guys?

Thanks again everyone.......this is the most helpful forum I've ever been involved with.

Paul Disney IV said:
Kentuckiana Satellite LLC was the company that came out for the install. I have a blank invoice that the installer left with me. He instructed me to give it to Best Buy and they would give me my money back. TYORK, is this your company, and if not do you think you can still help me? Anybody else have an experience with these guys?

Thanks again everyone.......this is the most helpful forum I've ever been involved with.

yes i can help you send me you name and phone number in to my email or private message and i will get with my boss and he will contact you this is one of his companies in ky. i have don't spoke to him about this and he need a you info and if you have a workorder number it would help.

Tyork
tyork37@msn.com

101 is used for the main programming. 119 has our locals. 110 is for HD programming.

Hopefully you'll get this straightened out!!

The locals I get are:

WAVE 3
WHAS 11
WLKY 32
WB 34
WDRB 41
Great 58
PBS 15

Paul,
Just to let you know i have sent you info to my boss he should be getting touch with you about your install.

tyork

i would call and see if u can get someone to make a site survey for u and if necessary pay a small fee for the piece of mind. i would like it should be under 30.00 for the piece of mind. good luck in getting it done :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)