Need a reason to stay with directv

Status
Please reply by conversation.

abarsami

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Oct 19, 2004
I thinking of getting into HDTV and need a reason to stay with directv and not to go to dish network.

Dish is offering me hd receiver, 2 dvr receiver - free. 6 mo. hd programming free.

The only thing is I need OTA antenna to get local hdtv.

Directv is giving me only 150 credit to get new hdtv box.

For hd local cbs, nbc, fox, abc - you don't need a OTA antenna right?

DISH has no roadmap for HD. Directv is launching two new satellites in the next 2 years, with one this spring. They will begin to offer local HD channels starting this summer with the largest 12 DMA markets then adding more later on. Plus, they are planning to offer more national HD channels.

They provide all 4 networks HD channels if you qualify. You would have to call their HD dept to find out the qualifications for sure.

Where do you live?

You should be eligible for all 4 national networks. You'll actually get the LA stations since those with NY are what Directv uses for national networks.

Oh, and DISH network does not have FOX-HD ABC-HD or NBC-HD. The only one they have is CBS-HD and that requires a second dish.

But if I get a good OTA antenna I should be able to get all hd locals.

It's kind of funny, the same reason you are considering going to Dish is the exact reason I left them. They really have no vision for HD, IMO. Atleast D* has plans for HD locals, ESPN2HD and aren't afraid to talk about HD.

811 is pretty buggy but getting better. I had a 508 receiver with them that I really liked but I think I will like my TiVo just as well.

Since all of your local stations are owned and operated by their respective companies you'll get the ones provided by Directv for free.

I reiterate that DISH has no HD future as of now. Charlie has even said no more HD until MPEG-4 comes out which may not be until next year.

Directv's equipment is MUCH MORE stable than DISH's equipment.

Hmmm... maybe I should just stick with them. They have to give me some free dvr's though...

Why should they give you free DVRs????

I'm not being mean, I'm just curious.

Since dish network is giving them they should too.

At least I hope they will, but they prob. won't.

I might just stay with directv... since they uped my credit to 250 and gave me 6 mo of starz for $2 / mo

Well we have DirecTV and are strongly considering switching back to Dish. We now hate DirecTV and are waiting until our stupid one year contract is over. As for the Tivo being stable. Don't beleive it. It has one major bug (b&w) that will annoy you. Also other things I am not going to get into like crappy 30 minute buffer and other things. Also we hate the way DirecTV organizes their channels. Really unorganized. PPV's in the front. Shopping channels all spread out. News channels all spead out. Dish was better organized and we actually known the channels. DirecTV with their disorganized mess we still don't know where half the channels are. As for HD. I don't care one bit for it and it is stupid to cancel a good thing to go with DirecTV. Like I am going to pay over $2000 for a overpriced HDTV. They can keep them.

reddice said:
. Like I am going to pay over $2000 for a overpriced HDTV. They can keep them.
you just proved to us how uneducated you are, please do not make any comments unless you have facts to back it up :no , and please please do not troll in other forums when a person asks for a EDUCATED reason, thank you

Not to sure how big into NFL you are, but you can't go anywhere else for Sunday Ticket....

The Sunday Ticket offers "mostly" HD. There are a few games you won't get in HD but it is because the networks don't record them in HD. That also why when watching ESPN you see a few game highlights in non-HD.

That is another reason to consider sticking with D*

As another former Dish subscriber, there is no way I would go back. I wanted an 811 but Dish could not provide me with one or a date when it ould become available. Friends who were lucky enough to get one said it was buggy, esp. with the dark s-video out problem. Say what you will, but I have found the D* hardware many times more reliable than the Dish equipment. My Directivo and HDTivo record without incident and I have not experienced any bugs with my setup.

And as asousa points out, only D* has NFL Sunday ticket, which spared me from having to watch our pathetic local teams (49ers and Raiders). And in HD no less.

TV pricing has nothing to do with DirecTV which is what this thread is about.

Not following your logic for posting that here.

Also, did you not do any research before getting DirecTV?? Channel lists are all over the place to look at.

Tonedeaf said:
TV pricing has nothing to do with DirecTV which is what this thread is about.

Not following your logic for posting that here.

Also, did you not do any research before getting DirecTV?? Channel lists are all over the place to look at.

nicely done.

and go steeler nation! I cant wait till this sunday at 6:30, its going to be a great game!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts