Need advice on aiming my dish, and settings too!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

SarahBorealis

Original poster
Sep 17, 2014
I haven't aimed in a long time and I'm frustrated. I have a Manhatten receiver and a motor on my Ku band dish. Everytime I think I have a signal it says "moving dish". I don't understand transponders. I don't know if I should use USAL or Diseque in my motor choices, although the second choice lets me move the dish from the box. I am getting one satellite, 103 K ses. The others are not having much quality but when I scan I almost always get a women's sports channel. Is this on all of them or am I picking up the same channel?
My pole is not leaning, I used a level, something is off. Any suggestions? I use an EZ sat meter, I just went out again and tried to make the elevation better. I use the linear output on my LNB. Why is this so hard?

I don't know if all motors are the same, but the Stab HH90 has markings on one side to set your Latitude. Then set the satellite elevation as normal. Be sure the motor is in the ZERO position, if not make it so. You will have to dig out your manual to see how to do that. Hopefully, that is all working correctly.

Now in your receiver make sure you are set to your Southern Most satellite and on an active transponder and that you have the motor set to USAL (that is assuming you have an USAL motor). I am not familiar with that type of satellite meter, but if it uses transponders/frequency be sure it is set to an active transponder. Now, if you were real careful and a bit lucky, and had the dish and motor, when set to zero, pointing DUE TRUE SOUTH, you should have at least some hint of signal. If not, move the entire assembly on the pole, left or right hoping to find some signal. If you don't get any signal, adjust the dish either up or down, about 1 degree and repeat the left/right procedure. If you still strike out, then try another degree in the same direction and repeat the left to right. If you don't get anything in about three degrees of up/down adjustment, it is time to try the other direction. If you were going up with the dish, go back to your start point and go down by one degree and repeat the above.

Once you find a signal, peak it out and then MAKE SURE YOU ARE ON THE SATELLITE YOU THINK YOU ARE ON. If not, then you have to back up and redo.

Remember, that it takes very fine adjustments. A little bit here on earth, is a LOT at the satellite. Be patient, slow and pay attention to detail and you will get it.

Good luck.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Sources of Interference with FTA Reception

Listen to your wife...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)