Need advice on computer purchase.

btharner

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 2, 2007
My wife and I are shopping around for a new desktop as we have had our current one for five years and we want to just strip it down and use it as a word processing computer in the library. We would like to stay with XP but it is becoming very difficult to find computers that still have it, we would like to avoid Vista because of all the negative comments we have read about its performance. Another concern is that we have a laptop that runs XP and I am concerned about it functioning with a Vista computer via the wireless router. The laptop is just used for the internet, we don't use the file and printer sharing features or anything like that. I do not know if that would be an issue. If you haven't figured it out by now, I'm not well-versed on many computer-related issues so any help would be greatly appreciated.

XP is not an option for an off-the-shelf computer.

If the two computers don't use the network to talk to each other, there's no real need to be concerned about them having different operating systems.

Your best option short of building a PC on your own, would be to buy a prebuilt one with Vista on it, buy the XP separate, then install XP over the top of Vista. It would delete Vista during the install process. You would still need to download the drivers for each piece of hardware in the machine though such as motherboard drivers, USB, w/e you needed.

You won't find too many prebuilt retail desktops configured with XP anymore, Microsoft is pushing Vista extremely hard.

I use XP on mine, so I understand where you're coming from. Vista is a resource hog in my opinion, and not very user friendly.

I would check out NewEgg.com, TigerDirect.com and Geeks.com, they may even have a few desktops preconfigured with XP. Worth checking out, hope this helps.

DITTO THAT.

I build all my own and for family and friends.

If you are nervous about the ground-up build you can go with a bones kit and get parts pre-assembled that you may be the most nervous on and add-on those you can do and then pick up a copy of XP PRO to load onto it. On top of being forced to have Vista; retail units also have TONS of space hogging software and trial crap you will likely never use and many background services that load with the Windows boot that steal resources; another huge pain; when trying to determine what to kill and what not to; this can lead the inexperienced to a dead PC.

if it is actually just a word processing computer as you say, and no need to network... I would buy a cheap computer at your local store, give Vista a shot, and if for whatever reason you have problems... then downgrade it to XP.

I have been using Vista on my laptop since Vista originally shipped, and while the first few months were a little rough, it is rock solid now. It shouldn't be installed on an old machine, but any new machine will run it just fine. Plus, in my experience, it is more secure than XP. I have YET (knock on wood) to have a virus on this machine... and I am an "at risk" user. I download and try a lot of freeware/shareware programs, and have yet to have a problem.

Just my opinion... but Vista is not the end of the world that the media has made it out to be

I still use 2000 Pro and XP Pro since it came out and nary a virus, worm, tojan, etc. So I think use has most to do with what you get and don't get.

ANYWAY!

If the only thing the OP needs is a word processor; small PC; go to a pawn shop or look online for a pre-built "knock-around" machine. If the user wants XP; just buy it; format the drives in the PC and load it on. GO TO GO!

CLICK BELOW

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2571830&CatId=672

Famous Brand 19" LCD Refurbished Monitor - SXGA 1280x1024, VGA, Black, (Off-Lease) RB-19T1-LCDBLK at TigerDirect.com

eMachines T3642 Refurbished AMD Desktop Computer - AMD Athlon 64 4000+ 2.6GHz, 1GB DDR2, 250GB SATA II, DVDRW-RAM, Flash Media Reader, Windows Vista Home Premium RB-T3642 at TigerDirect.com

just echoing the advice here - build your own and get xP or buy a prebuilt w/ Vista (trash that it is), and then pick up a copy of xp or even 2000Pro. Given your application, that might make sense - check out eBay for some deals.

I don't think you would run into any connectivity issues with xP to Vista thru your network.

Another possibility is Linux. Get the PC with whatever OS that comes with it. Then add Linux as a dual boot. There is office-like tools which should work for word processing unless you are looking for microsoft word specifically. I have heard rumors someone was coming out with a tool that would allow MS Office to run on Linux. But I haven't seen that one myself.

I believe some of the HP Business PCs are still available to order with XP. Not sure if you have to jump thru any hoops to order a business PC vs. the Home/Home Office stuff or not, though. They are generally good machines...we have a bunch of them in our offices.

Vista is fine.. I have it on 3 computers and it plays nice with XP machines also.

All the negative press is a bunch of garbage.. Unfounded nonsense...

Interesting. I thought MS shut off XP licenses for new computers about three weeks ago. Apparently not.
I think all the computer makers can offer this. Microsoft's Ballmer Touts Vista-To-XP Downgrade Program -- Microsoft -- InformationWeek

A number of PC makers, including Dell (Dell), are offering business systems that have been "pre-downgraded" from Vista to XP.
Ballmer's comments indicate that Microsoft does not view the downgrade program as a mere licensing loophole through which a few disgruntled customers can retain access to Windows XP. Rather, it appears that the company is now formally endorsing the program and may in fact be counting on it to spur sales of Vista, which many businesses have rejected due to its hefty hardware requirements and incompatibilities with older applications.

I purchased a new laptop in May, and it came with Vista, and after a few months, I actually hate XP. The biggest thing people are scared of is that it is different, and change is bad, but I don't even notice the changes, and this machine does run really dang well. Vista is somewhat of a resource hog, I will admit that, but when you have plenty of RAM, which any new computer should have, you won't notice it.

Two cents:
If you buy a new one vista will be there. There are deal online but remember the shipping issue; however, if wordprocessing is the deal there is nothing to worry about, specially with service patch 1 out for vista. If you are unfamiliar, change the theme in vista to a more old fashion, just as fashion as win2000. most of the tools will be there. the start button for only a windows logo is not a big deal, isn't it? just get the requirements straight 1gb RAM for vista only, and add whatever RAM (memory) is to run your application. happy shopping!

I've always had my home office computers built by someone and usually when I replace them I pass the old ones on to various family members. I currently have 2 systems in my office and 5 others throughout the house. Of those five, two were not custom built but rather given to us my relatives. One's a Dell and the other an E-Machine from BestBuy. Those two have also been the most trouble prone.

It's worth a few extra bucks to have someone who knows what they're doing put a system together - especially if your business depends on it.

Regarding all of those negative comments that you have heard about Vista, keep in mind that there are a lot of Microsoft haters out there who don't want to see Vista succeed. Vista, running on modern hardware, runs very well. There are some differences, but once you get used to Vista, XP feels old and stale. Vista does network well with XP, but requires a password, which many XP users foolishly kept blank. This is perhaps why some have said that Vista won't network with XP. Set up identical user accounts on both computers with passwords, and you should have no problems.

Remember, just a few years ago people were complaining about XP and saying they would stay with Win98 forever!

I, too, need some advice on a computer purchase - I have been shopping an HP with AMD & blue ray player/HD dvd player. Would it be better to buy a separate bluray component or okay with the bluray player in the HP? Any one else out there have experience with an HP with a bluray/hd dvd player?

1st there is nothing wrong with Vista... It new just like XP was and overall to me its a better OS.. If your going to just being using Office and surfing the net you might look at a pre built machine from Dell or other manufactures so forth. I would get at least 2 gig of ram and good sized HD like 200GB-400Gb Core 2 Duo CPU 2.0 so forth.

I used Vista for a month and suffered poor performance in gaming, video editing and graphic design. I'm also not a Microsoft hater: I prefer Server 2003.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts