Need Advice on Receiver

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Pg22

Original poster
Jul 13, 2014
Alright first of all id like to apologize if i am not posting in the right section, but I am very new to FTA and would like to know if fta satellites are working at this time, and if yes, what is the best way to go about purchasing a receiver and which one. I used to have view sat a while back but havent used it for a few years. thank you

Welcome to SatelliteGuys Pg22!!!
Yes plenty of FTA up there. There are a few different vendors around, also you can search eBay. Just make sure you get a receiver that is DVB-S2.
One of my current favorites is the Amiko Mini HD SE. Very nice little box for a nice price.
What do you have up for a dish if any?

Last edited:
You will need a 1 meter dish (36-39 inches) to receive FTA reliably - there are no FTA satellites that use the Dish / DirecTV system - so a different FTA dish/LNB system is recommended.
Bob

I'd use the word 'necessary' instead of recommended in the above post.
Originally I wrote "required" but thought about the folks that would come back with how to modify a DBS dish from circular to linear -- so I changed it to recommended!
Bob

Reactions: FaT Air
Originally I wrote "required" but thought about the folks that would come back with how to modify a DBS dish from circular to linear -- so I changed it to recommended!
Bob

If you can find an old Primestar dish, and you do occasionally still see one out in the boonies, you don't need to modify anything, since the LNBs on those were Ku to begin with. You do have to be trying to receive a reasonably strong satellite though, and be aware that the smaller the dish the more likely you are to experience signal loss during heavy rain. But if you can accept that, then you can get by with a lot smaller than one meter, although the smallest Dish or Direct dishes probably won't cut it.

I know from experience that an old oval-shaped Primestar dish and LNB will receive the PBS signals on 125, and rarely is there any signal interruption.

Welcome to Satguys, Pg22!

Like Wescopc said above, For reliable Ku reception, the smallest dish that you'd want would be 36". Are you thinking of just Ku, or C Band too? What type/size dish do you have up now?

The MicroHD is a nice receiver, I have one and it works well.

Status
Please reply by conversation.