Need advice on switching to Genie

Status
Please reply by conversation.

willagerGA

Original poster
Jun 10, 2015
Georgia
I currently have a whole house system with two HR24s and one H24. I was one of the first whole house systems in my area, and had to turn to Satellite Guys for help in getting it working properly as the installer and supervisor were both clueless.

One of the things that I have not liked about the system is that although I can watch any recorded show on any tv, each DVR has its own set of season passes, and you have to go to that particular DVR to make changes. it is sometimes challenging to be sure that a particular show is set to record.

I was going to go with a Genie and some minis, but I have seen a lot of advice here about keeping the HR24s. If I do keep the HR24s, can I do all of my scheduling on the Genie and none on the HR24s? My other concern is that I have a 300 ft run of RG 7 from my dish to the house. Is one run of coax enough for a Genie and two Hr24's? If I wanted to add a 3rd client can I with the single run?

Thanks for your help

Pete

Just go ahead and add the Genie and keep your HR24’s

Stay away from the minis unless you need 4K

A single cable with a reverse band LNB can support 13 tuners. you would need 7 tuners for an HR54 plus 4 more if you keep both HR24’s

Reactions: dfergie
With Genie and HR24's, the box you set the recording up on is the harddrive you will record on. It is also the device you manage the recordings from, with the exception of deleting the recording. Same as you have now.

A followup please. I just had a DirecTV tech here as my SWM went out. I told him i was thinking of switching to a Genie. He was quite concerned with my 300 ft run of RG7. He recommended against the Genie as he said it was slower and would not do well with the long run. Anyone have any thoughts or experience on this?

i did ask him about putting in a new dish closer to the house, which was not possible until we recently took down some trees. He seemed to think that was possible, but thought it would probably cost me $100 to $150 out of pocket as DirecTV wouldn't pay to put in a pole and run 50 ft of cable.

Just a note on the Genie. If you go for the Genie 2 (HS17) you will have to give up the 24s. The only thing allowed is the mini clients.

I will say that I've read a lot of complaints about the Genie 2 but my experience has been positive. I don't find the wired 4K clients slow at all (and the picture is absolutely stunning on 4K) and the wireless ones aren't horrible though I get an occasional hiccup now and again.

If you want to keep the 24s you'd have to get an HR44 or an HR54. I had a 44 and a HR24 before upgrading to the HS17 and prefer having the HS17 handle everything.

Finally, I just got the new GUI earlier this week, and I love the new look.

You'll get differing opinions everything I've said here. Nothing is right for everyone so do your research.

A followup please. I just had a DirecTV tech here as my SWM went out. I told him i was thinking of switching to a Genie. He was quite concerned with my 300 ft run of RG7. He recommended against the Genie as he said it was slower and would not do well with the long run. Anyone have any thoughts or experience on this?

i did ask him about putting in a new dish closer to the house, which was not possible until we recently took down some trees. He seemed to think that was possible, but thought it would probably cost me $100 to $150 out of pocket as DirecTV wouldn't pay to put in a pole and run 50 ft of cable.

That installer is an idiot.

Genies, especially an HR54 works just fine.

300 feet of Rg11 should be fine.

Even RG6 will work

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts