Need advice on upgrading to DVR

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

naveeds786

Original poster
Jun 9, 2009
Nassau County
My home currently has 4 TVs on Dish (2 receivers, one of them is a non HD-DVR and the other is a non-DVR non-HD receiver AND both of them are being leased). I am out of contract and have the silver package with the south asian megapack.

With the purchase of a new TV, we are ready to make the jump to HD. I called DISH yesterday and asked them how I could upgrade. They said there were two options:

(a) Re-sign a two year agreement and DISH will come and install an HD DVR duo receiver.

(b) don't sign an agreement. I would have to by the HD DVR for about $500.

Either one doesn't sound too great to me. I was hoping that they would be able to just swap the DVR Duo for an HD DVR Duo without any changes to my account since I'm already leasing/renting the settop. Is it not that easy?

Also, I don't see (b) as an option, so if I go with (a) and sign a contract I'd like to get some other incentives (they offered me $10 off for the first year of my contract which will negate the $10 increase for HD programming). Are there any other promotions that are running if you sign a 2 year contract?

Thanks!

My home currently has 4 TVs on Dish (2 receivers, one of them is a non HD-DVR and the other is a non-DVR non-HD receiver AND both of them are being leased). I am out of contract and have the silver package with the south asian megapack.

With the purchase of a new TV, we are ready to make the jump to HD. I called DISH yesterday and asked them how I could upgrade. They said there were two options:

(a) Re-sign a two year agreement and DISH will come and install an HD DVR duo receiver.

(b) don't sign an agreement. I would have to by the HD DVR for about $500.

Either one doesn't sound too great to me. I was hoping that they would be able to just swap the DVR Duo for an HD DVR Duo without any changes to my account since I'm already leasing/renting the settop. Is it not that easy?

Also, I don't see (b) as an option, so if I go with (a) and sign a contract I'd like to get some other incentives (they offered me $10 off for the first year of my contract which will negate the $10 increase for HD programming). Are there any other promotions that are running if you sign a 2 year contract?

Thanks!

3 months HBO/Showtime
1 cent Cinemax with autopayment

That with the $10 credit is about the best you're going to do. Getting a several hundred dollar piece of hardware for a 24-month commitment is a pretty good deal afaic.

I bought a new 722 w/embedded G3 for $300 off Ebay. So... You don't have to pay "full price" to own a new receiver and avoid a new commitment.

Thanks for the advice, just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything.

Getting a several hundred dollar piece of hardware for a 24-month commitment is a pretty good deal afaic.

I guess I was comparing my situation to a person who is shopping for cell phone service. Sign a 2 year committment and you get a phone at a heavily discounted price or for free. With Dish, you dont get to 'keep' the receivers at the end of the commitment. They still have to be returned. Still seems odd that I want to continue a lease with them, just with a different model DVR, but it cant be done.

Thanks again.

Thanks for the advice, just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything.

I guess I was comparing my situation to a person who is shopping for cell phone service. Sign a 2 year committment and you get a phone at a heavily discounted price or for free. With Dish, you dont get to 'keep' the receivers at the end of the commitment. They still have to be returned. Still seems odd that I want to continue a lease with them, just with a different model DVR, but it cant be done.

Thanks again.

Look at it this way, the $7 lease fee for 24 months is $168. That's not bad and maybe a little more than half the cost of the best deal for a 722 or 722K you could find on eBay or elsewhere. Plus if something goes wrong, it's replaced. If you own it, once the warranty expires in a year (if you bought a new one), you'll pay for the replacement unless you add the DHPP insurance to your account. You also don't have to worry about losing value with new receivers being introduced or having to sell it down the road to get a new receiver. I might add that you pay the equivalent of the lease fee, the additional receiver fee, even if you own the receiver. That's why many of us, who used to own our receivers, now lease. Also the upgrade will include any costs of upgrading your antenna to be able to receive HD. You'd be paying for that otherwise if you purchase.

One other thing to note, is that NONE of the international channels are in HD. If you watch most of your programs from the international package and not the standard channels, you may want to save yourself the extra expense.

I was hoping that they would be able to just swap the DVR Duo for an HD DVR Duo without any changes to my account since I'm already leasing/renting the settop. Is it not that easy?
Isn't this a little like hoping to be upgraded from a PT Cruiser to an Escalade for free because you replaced your canoe with a 17' ski boat?

Naveeds, you're not going to find much of a better deal as an existing customer. You're going to get a new receiver, new dish, and have it all installed for a subsidized price and renewed contract. I don't think it's a bad deal.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts