need advice: PQ and 522 stb

feralcat

Original poster
Dec 14, 2004
Hey folks -- I'm in a quandry here, where I'm getting more and more unhappy with what I think is a degredation in picture quality from a DISH 522 STB. I *hope* it's the 522, because otherwise it's DISH in general, I guess?

I have an HD monitor -- a Sony 32". My DISH packages is the most basic -- America60, or something. My HD feed is through OTA and a Zenith HD receiver (I can get about 6 or 7 dtv signals).

Ranking the PQ:

1) OTA HD -- awesome -- no suprise
2) OTA DTV -- very good, even "zoomed" to fill the screen
3) Same channel from Dish 522 -- "milky". Poor at < 10' away
4) content from DVR -- marginally worse. Frequent digital artifacts.

It's the difference between "2) and 3)" that bother me. I would expect a digital signal from DISH to be equivalent to a digital signal broadcast OTA, more or less, and they're clearly different -- this is why I'm blaming the 522.

I'd appreciate any suggestions, before I call support on Monday. I do like the DVR feature, but I'm not necessarily married to the 522 STB, per se.

Thx!

You also have to remember that Dish is at the mercy of what the local station sends them. If Dish gets a crap signal comming in there is nothing they can do about it.

Dave nye said:
You also have to remember that Dish is at the mercy of what the local station sends them. If Dish gets a crap signal comming in there is nothing they can do about it.
This is exactly right........how are your national stations on the 522 like USA, ESPN, etc......

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts