Need an Antenna Reccommendation

jfoerch

Original poster
Mar 11, 2008
I know little to nothing about antennas, so I need help in choosing the right one for my house. Now I know that the best place is on the roof, but right now it's really cold in Michigan and I need one up for March madness. So, I want to start in the attic and then maybe move it to the roof this summer. I checked antennaweb and here is what it said for my location (mainly I'll mention the stations that I want to get)...
Channel 13.1:
Antenna type: yellow UHF and VHF
Compass heading: 15 degrees
Frequency: 39 now, 13 after transition
Distance: 37 miles
Channel 17.1:
Antenna type: yellow UHF
Compass heading: 108 degrees
Frequency: 17 non-HD, 19 for HD
Distance: 26.8 miles
Channel 3.1:
Antenna type: green VHF
Compass heading: 116 degrees
Frequency: 3 non-HD, 2 for HD
Distance: 27.7 miles
Channel 8.1:
Frequency: 8 non-HD, 7 for HD
Distance: 27.9 miles
Channel 41.1:
Compass heading: 121 degrees
Frequency: 41 non-HD, 20 for HD
Distance: 32.7 miles

Sorry for the long post, but I'm really new to this. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks!

I need an antenna for March madness. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks!

Start with this. It will get WWMT-DT right now.

AntennaCraft Y5-2-6 Lowband-Broadband VHF Yagi Channels 2-6 (Y5-2-6) | Y5-2-6 [AntennaCraft] | YAGI LOWBAND BROADBAND 2-6 VHF LOW LOW BAND 5-2-6 Y2-6 Antenna craft

After February 2009 you can use it for WGVK-DT on channel 5.

Many of the other stations can be received with this:

OPEN BOX ITEM – Winegard HD 7697P High Definition VHF/UHF HDHD769 Series Antenna (HD7697P) | HD7697P [Winegard] | HD769 Series 769 7-69 high band hi band hi-band HD7697 HD 7697P HD7697P OBO OPEN BOX ITEM

Aim it at 115 degrees for WOTV-DT, WXMI-DT, WOOD-DT, and WWMT-DT after February 2009.

This gives you five major networks without a rotator.

Adding that combination together is a bit tricky.
Get one of these: Pico Macom HLSJ VHF Band High-Low Antenna Separator-Combiner (HLSJ) | HLSJ [Pico Macom] | Combiner joiner splitter jointenna vhf hi vhf lo 2-6 7-13 High band lo band
And two of these:
Pico Macom UVSJ UHF VHF Band Separator/Combiner for Antenna (UVSJ) | UVSJ [Pico Macom] | UVSJ

Split the 7-69 antenna into VHF and UHF with a UVSJ, add the low band (2-6) antenna to the high band (7-13) with the HLSJ, and then recombine the VHF/UHF with the second UVSJ.

There are other possible combinations that will also do the job.

Wow Tower Guy! Thanks for all the great information. Like I said, I'm quite new to this so I'm going to try what you are saying. But just some quick clarifications. The 2 antenna pieces, those are to be combined on tha same mast, right? Also, for the 1st one you mention, where do I aim that? Last thing, is there anything else I can do to get channel 13.1? Thanks again.

Last thing, is there anything else I can do to get channel 13.1?

For now, aim the Y5-2-6 at WWMT. In 2009, move it to WGVK.

WZZM is on channel 39 and will move to channel 13 on February 2009. For reception between now and '09 a UHF only antenna and a Jointenna tuned to channel 39 is the best way to do it. (Google Jointenna & Warren)

After '09 a small VHF high band only (perhaps an Antennacraft Y5-7-13) antenna with a channel 13 Jointenna is the best approach.

If you would like to experiment, you could try aiming the VHF only aerial between WZZM and WGVU and see if you happen to be lucky enough for a channel 12 Jointenna to add both 11 and 13.

The antennas can be on the same mast or can be mounted on more than one mast. A few feet of separation will be needed.

Someone else suggested that I use a Winegard HD 7082P TV Antenna and aim it to the East and maybe a little South. Then use an amplifier to help feed the multiple jacks in my house. What do you think of that suggestion?

For about $12 - $15 I would invest in a heading compass to have in the household toolbox; everyone shoud have one anyway. This way you can aim or find directions much more precise than "aim it to the East and maybe a little South". To me doing things like that is what makes them way harder than they should be and ultimately many just give up rather than deal with the headaches.

Someone else suggested that I use a Winegard HD 7082P TV Antenna and aim it to the East and maybe a little South. Then use an amplifier to help feed the multiple jacks in my house. What do you think of that suggestion?

It's a nice antenna. Mounted temporarily, it will work for NCAAs just fine. If you want a rotator, that's a good choice. But if you want to avoid a rotator and desire all that you can receive, you need multiple antennas. The 7082 can be repurposed for PBS on channel 5, or if you don't care about that channel, aim the 7082 at 115 degrees and see how bad the limitations are.

I know little to nothing about antennas, so I need help in choosing the right one for my house. Now I know that the best place is on the roof, but right now it's really cold in Michigan and I need one up for March madness. So, I want to start in the attic and then maybe move it to the roof this summer. I checked antennaweb and here is what it said for my location (mainly I'll mention the stations that I want to get)...
Channel 13.1:
Antenna type: yellow UHF and VHF
Compass heading: 15 degrees
Frequency: 39 now, 13 after transition
Distance: 37 miles
Channel 17.1:
Frequency: 17 non-HD, 19 for HD
Distance: 26.8 miles
Channel 3.1:
Compass heading: 116 degrees
Frequency: 3 non-HD, 2 for HD
Distance: 27.7 miles
Channel 8.1:
Frequency: 8 non-HD, 7 for HD
Distance: 27.9 miles
Channel 41.1:
Compass heading: 121 degrees
Frequency: 41 non-HD, 20 for HD
Distance: 32.7 miles

Sorry for the long post, but I'm really new to this. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks!

Greetings from a fellow West Michigander. Just curious on how things have worked out for you at this point. Didn't see an update, so I figured I would jot a quick note to ask.

As for the channels, we are able to get most of the channels you mentioned plus several others. Only notable issues you may have is getting 13.1 (WZZM because it is located so far away from the others) and 3.1 (WWMT because they have a VERY weak signal). We live about 10 miles from WWMT and get a signal of approximately 65 from WWMT. The others are 80 or above.

Let us know how things worked out,
Geoff

I ended up going with the Winegard 7082P antenna and mounting it in my attic. My house is kinda on a bluff and the ground slopes down straight East of me, so there's really nothing blocking the signal. My attic is very tight so I don't have the option to rotate and I was really only concerned with 17, 17.1, 3, 3.1, 8, 8.1, 41, 41.1, and 13, 13.1. So, I pointed the antenna a little South of East and my reception is great on all those channels except for 13 and 13.1 which only comes in on occasion. But, 95% of the time 41 is the same as 13 so that's not the biggest deal. I'm still looking for a easy way to get 13 too... Let me know if you have any suggestions.

Otherwise, I am getting a great picture for March Madness!!!

Thanks for all the help!
Joel

If you would like to experiment, you could try aiming the VHF only aerial between WZZM and WGVU and see if you happen to be lucky enough for a channel 12 Jointenna to add both 11 and 13.
My channel 12 Jointenna is on its way and I plan on trying this experiment right after the transition. WZZM and WGVU are 18-degrees apart for me.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)