Need assistance on Directv HD in NY market

Status
Please reply by conversation.

sgtpet

Original poster
Apr 3, 2006
Ok,

I have Directv for two plus years now. I have recently purchased a hd tv. So now I understand to call to get a deal on the hd dvr receiver. My concern or confusion is say they give me the 9 dish and the soon to be extinct receiver. Can I get NY local channels with the current technology from Directv or not? Please explain.

Thanks,

Novice

NY networks are available to the NY DMA (amongst other people) via a 3LNB dish in MPEG2.

I assume you're getting a HD Tivo when you talk about a "soon to be extict receiver." This should be replaced by the HR20 (an MPEG4 non-Tivo DVR) sometime later this year.

The 5LNB dish you're getting is merely a stopgap for you while you await getting the MPEG4 DVR.

They are now adding channels that will only be available to us in the NY market with the AT9 dish AND H20 (and later) MPEG4 receivers.

For example, starting the 18th the YES network HD MLB games will be in MPEG4, and next month they are also going to start showing the Mets on SNY in MPEG4. In October they will be adding MSG and FSNY in MPEG4.

I have also been told that PBS13-HD in MPEG4 will be launched in the fall. Why get a phase3 dish and then have to go through the expense AND the bother of installing another dish in just a few months.

I don't see any downside in getting the 5lnb dish and MPEG4 receivers now.

ScoBuck, any word on when Channels 9 and 11 might be available in HD? I'm also interested in knowing how you would compare the quality of the NY MPEG4 feeds with the NY MPEG2 feeds.

Last edited:
gpg said:
ScoBuck, any word on when Channels 9 and 11 might be available in HD? I'm also interested in knowing how you would compare the quality of the NY MPEG4 feeds with the NY MPEG2 feeds.

I would say that early on (January) there were some issues with CBS2 in MPEG4, but to be honest, I don't think we have had any probs in quite a while. I see NO noticeable difference in the MPEG2 and MPEG4 offerings.

As for channels 9 and 11 - I wouldn't count on 9 anytime soon - that was the UPN channel and is now going to be the my9 - but I would think that WB11 will be lit in the fall (I believe they have lit a similar station in the Atlanta market 2 weeks ago) - but I have NO hard news, only a hunch. But they will be adding additional MPEG4 locals soon, so I wouldn't get anything but a 5lnb dish - I wouldn't want to have to go through the installation process again so soon.

So basically the satellite dish is ready for MPEG 4 but the receiver is still in the old MPEG2 format. I guess with the expense of the current receiver most are hoping for a free upgrade when all is broadcast on MPEG 4.

sgtpet said:
So basically the satellite dish is ready for MPEG 4 but the receiver is still in the old MPEG2 format. I guess with the expense of the current receiver most are hoping for a free upgrade when all is broadcast on MPEG 4.

Bingo. Either free or subsidized.

sgtpet said:

Actually - partially correct. The AT9 dish receives signals from ALL 5 orbital positions.

The H20 receiver is ALREADY MPEG4 & MPEG2 capable, it receives signals from ALL 5 orbital positions. It is the HD-DVR that is NOT able to get MPEG4 if that is what you are referring to.

To get the H20, it is really only a 'nominal' cost of $99. Geez, when I purchased my two previous HD boxes, one was over $700, the other was over $500. And that was only 2 years ago.

gpg said:
any word on when Channels 9 and 11 might be available in HD?
WPIX is owned by Tribune, an evil company. They are prolific for being one of the toughest station ownership groups to negotiate with. They try to use a provider's desire to offer one channel as a way to force other channels on that provider, which the provider has very little interest in. They do this to every cable company in CT, and some companies have even given up on negotiations with them and gone with New York feeds instead.

But, DirecTV is a very large company which covers the entire country, and Tribune probably needs DirecTV for channel distribution. I guess we'll just sit back and wait. I hope DirecTV gets friendly with Tribune before the start of football season so I get my local FOX channel in HD.

PaulieORF said:
WPIX is owned by Tribune, an evil company. They are prolific for being one of the toughest station ownership groups to negotiate with. They try to use a provider's desire to offer one channel as a way to force other channels on that provider, which the provider has very little interest in. They do this to every cable company in CT, and some companies have even given up on negotiations with them and gone with New York feeds instead.

But, DirecTV is a very large company which covers the entire country, and Tribune probably needs DirecTV for channel distribution. I guess we'll just sit back and wait. I hope DirecTV gets friendly with Tribune before the start of football season so I get my local FOX channel in HD.

From where you are you can't pick up WTIC in hd ota? :confused: :D You are right about Tribune, but I don't think they are as bad as LIN.

PaulieORF said:

Related to this, Tribune publishes the NY Daily News the arch-enemy of Murdochs NY Post. They have an almost day-to-day 'I'm better than you' in the newspapers.

Status
Please reply by conversation.