Need backlight bulbs for Toshiba TRX-2220.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

hamilton101

Original poster
Jun 4, 2007
Oregon
The display on my Toshiba TRX-2220 is very faint. I pulled the cover to check the backlight bulbs and found all three had broken filaments (just bought the receiver - probably damaged in shipping). These are small bulbs that twist into a circuit board. Does anyone know where to get these small bulbs.

Thanks.
hamilton101
Corvallis, Oregon

I found some of them at Radio Shack. You will need to keep the small white plastic piece to mount the bulbs in. Just take the bulbs out and insert new ones.

Thanks for the tips. They stimulated me to hunt around in the shed for some small bulbs I had used to fix an indicator light in a Mazda cruise control master switch.

Turns out dash indicator lights from an old Mazda fit right into the circuit board of the receiver display. Voltage was about right - 14V marked on the base of the receiver bulbs is close enough to what we all know autos run on. And since both the receiver and the car were made in Japan, they both are going to be metric. So, presto! Didn't cost me any more than twisting the handle of the screwdriver. I did have to free up the front display to get room between a heat sink and a capacitor to screw the bulbs in. Even better, the dash bulb bases use a bayonet socket so in the future, I can just buy replacement bulbs at Autozone.

Also a good idea to meter the bulbs to make sure they have continuity. Seating and unseating them a couple of times took the oxidation off the contacts and took the resistance down to about 13-ohms.

Receiver is as good as new, now!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)