Need better alternative packages.

andyin137

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 23, 2008
Lompoc,California
Money is very tight for alot of people now especially with the 4 dollar gas situation.in my case I am being forced into cutting back on alot of extras to make ends meet .well top of the list on cutting back is of course my package choices.I recently cut back to AT 120 from AT 250 and really miss a couple of the higher tier Channels.I really like BIo,ID,Tru TV and Nick and TV land .However unless you buy the 250 package (that in my opinion has alot of channels I dont watch) you cant get these channels.
How can we get Dish to allow people to buy these type channels alacarte ot have a better package for those who chose to.Any thoughts or suggestions ?for now My NEtflix is a better deal if you dont mind waiting on some shows.
Honestly if I lived in an area where I could get all my locals in HD OTA ,I would drop Dish,but out here on Central Coast of california we dont have that option.

no matter how many posts people make and how they word it...it all comes back to something that really is a pipe dream for Dish/Directv/cable

ala-carte

But may I add, a pipe dream because it isn't Dish\Direct etc who decides (usually) these things. It's the channel itself that in many cases insists it be in this package or another, and often they won't sell a particular channel without Dish taking another less popular one. So in some ways it ties Direct or Dish or Cable's hands. And my thought is, when it is a choice for Dish, they have to market some channels in such a way to make money, not break even or lose.
Add to that the cost of an A La Carte channel is not usually cheap.

I know none of this helps when money is tight.

Last edited:
BUY what you can afford and forget about the other channels, when you can afford more then you can buy the higher priced package. That is the facts of todays economy.

But may I add, a pipe dream because it isn't Dish\Direct etc who decides (usually) these things. It's the channel itself that in many cases insists it be in this package or another, and often they won't sell a particular channel without Dish taking another less popular one. So in some ways it ties Direct or Dish or Cable's hands. And my thought is, when it is a choice for Dish, they have to market some channels in such a way to make money, not break even or lose.
Add to that the cost of an A La Carte channel is not usually cheap.

I know none of this helps when money is tight.

too bad Charlie won't play hardball with these channels. oh, my mistake, we're not talking sports are we.

Uh,,,, ever hear of a little company called Disney? Linn? FX and National Geographic?

Last edited:
most of the channels are in English. Its a bilingual type package where you get some English stations and more Spanish stations than what a AT package is

Money is very tight for alot of people now especially with the 4 dollar gas situation.in my case I am being forced into cutting back on alot of extras to make ends meet .well top of the list on cutting back is of course my package choices.I recently cut back to AT 120 from AT 250 and really miss a couple of the higher tier Channels.I really like BIo,ID,Tru TV and Nick and TV land .However unless you buy the 250 package (that in my opinion has alot of channels I dont watch) you cant get these channels.
How can we get Dish to allow people to buy these type channels alacarte ot have a better package for those who chose to.Any thoughts or suggestions ?for now My NEtflix is a better deal if you dont mind waiting on some shows.
Honestly if I lived in an area where I could get all my locals in HD OTA ,I would drop Dish,but out here on Central Coast of california we dont have that option.

The Family package with Dish would cover four of the five channels you listed as favorites such as: Bio, ID, Nick, and TV Land. However, this package is not an HD package. I think that maybe Dish should consider making this package one that is eligible for HD for Life. Here is an attachment that someone posted for a DIRT member: View attachment formattedDish Family Channels.xls You could also add other a la carte options such as Encore Movies for $5.00/month (with channels such as Encore Action, Encore Drama, Encore Love, Encore Mystery, Encore West, Encore Westerns, and MoviePlex).
Good luck; let us know how it goes. :)