Status
Please reply by conversation.

kevinn

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jun 30, 2006
New Orleans
Hurricane Katrina Dish going back up

My friend gave me his Katrina dish, the pole was bent at the ground but the dish didn't lose any panels or slam to the ground - till the demolition guys knocked it down. I am happy and pleased to know he just bought all new C and Ku goodies before the storm, lifting up the cover revealed a nice setup.

Being completely broke with the exception of the stuff I am auctioning on ebay, I have managed to scoop up a couple old receivers, a positioner, and a new FTA receiver with blind scan and all the good stuff. I am EXTREMELY new to this, big time into electronics but a complete noob to this stuff.

I cememted the pole about 4 feet deep this time and put a huge mass of cement down there with it, its good and plumb. Now tell me, how do I get the dish onto the pole? Its above my roof top.

I am extremely inteested in receiving live feeds and interested in other stuff up there, just scanning the skies for the most part would keep me happy. By the way, the dish is one of those 8 foot mesh dishes.

I am down here in the greater New Orleans area, nobody is open and I can't find cable for my bud to finish installing it - not to mention I still cant figure out how to get the dish up on the new pole way up there.

Help.. Consider I am broke too, Katrina took a lot from us including my job, money is critical.. Here is a picture of the LNB I have on my bud, note the cut cables.

PS: Katrina left dishes everywhere down here, I ride through areas of the City that are still uninhabited and there was dishes everywhere. You can find DSS dishes in the trash piles everywhere. I noticed a lot of standing buds with houses blown apart, what's up with this? I am interested in finding some more big buds, I have a whole area of the back yard to myself and can fit about 3 buds on the ground level, one is waiting now to be raised on my roof.

Attachments

• lnb.jpg
    lnb.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 187
Last edited by a moderator:
PLEASE remove picture and replace with a thumbnail for our dial up members.

THANKS!

Pictures?

Out of all the forums I belong to including administrating, this is a first..
How do you do thumbnails on this DF, I didn't see any link to create a thumbnail image.

I can create a web page with the picture and thumbs like I did for all my Katrina pics if that would be ok, I can just make links?

I saw them already

rainmaker said:
www.skyvision.com still sell's the ribbon cable for bud's.:)

They sell it for an outrageous price too, I have to worry more about putting food on the table down here for my kids and wife right now, i was hoping to find a place selling a 50 foot run rather a whole spool. I have a full box of RG6 QS but the other cabling for the mover and the servo are questionable, is there any way I can run some other type of cable such as cat5? I know the mover needs 16 g. but will cat5 work for the servos?

kevinn said:
Out of all the forums I belong to including administrating, this is a first..
How do you do thumbnails on this DF, I didn't see any link to create a thumbnail image.

I can create a web page with the picture and thumbs like I did for all my Katrina pics if that would be ok, I can just make links?
When you post, click the 'manage attachemnts' and it'll auto host / thumbnail the pic.

I got my Ribbon cable on Ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/100-feet-C-BAND...oryZ4693QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Looks like 100' is as short as they sell. It isn't 'high end' cable by any means but it seems to work just fine. It's a little cheaper than Skyvision. On the other hand, Skyvision will sell you 50' for .65/ft.

Last edited:
Hi Kevin
You may want to check into the new c/ku band lnb that runs off one rg6 cable if you want to go after just one sat. ( hey PSB or Iceberg double check me on this info please) Bsc621 is the model number. You can do a search on any search engine and their not a bad price . I know what you mean about the dishes, I'll be heading over to pick one up this weekend in BR. I'm in slidell. I'm new to c-band myself.

http://www.daveswebshop.com/bsc621.shtml

Last edited:
kevinn said:
They sell it for an outrageous price too, I have to worry more about putting food on the table down here for my kids and wife right now, i was hoping to find a place selling a 50 foot run rather a whole spool. I have a full box of RG6 QS but the other cabling for the mover and the servo are questionable, is there any way I can run some other type of cable such as cat5? I know the mover needs 16 g. but will cat5 work for the servos?
I have used telephone wire temporarily for servo wire so cat 5 should work even better...

kevinn said:

I use cat-5 for both the servo and motor position sensor placed in a pipe in the ground. So far it has survived one Canadian winter and endless fiddling by me (I'm always trying to optimize things :D ). <Good> Professional installers would likely cringe if they saw it. I used it because I had a bunch left over from installing a network for a friend.

Great a local

rdel said:
Hi Kevin
You may want to check into the new c/ku band lnb that runs off one rg6 cable if you want to go after just one sat. ( hey PSB or Iceberg double check me on this info please) Bsc621 is the model number. You can do a search on any search engine and their not a bad price . I know what you mean about the dishes, I'll be heading over to pick one up this weekend in BR. I'm in slidell. I'm new to c-band myself.

We worked search and rescue during the storm here, a bit distracted with everything till recently. I am in Metairie by the way. If you want, let me know when you are coming down this way, you need to be careful where you dig, theres a lot of military out there that is arresting people for just driving through areas, they do not follow any law or care about your civil liberties. I know, I have been meeting with some of them out in Lakeview. I have an expedition decked out with emergency lights so they don't mess with me but average vehicles - you have to be careful.

I am interested in going to the landfill and seeing what is out there, I have not yet been out there yet. I know theres tons of DirectTV dishes that are in trash piles everywhere. I would imagine the landfill has tons of them in it.

Current ?

mark_calgary said:
I use cat-5 for both the servo and motor position sensor placed in a pipe in the ground. So far it has survived one Canadian winter and endless fiddling by me (I'm always trying to optimize things :D ). <Good> Professional installers would likely cringe if they saw it. I used it because I had a bunch left over from installing a network for a friend.

How much current is going to the mover motor? It is important because cat5 will burn up if its too much.

rdel said:
Hi Kevin

What's wrong with the setup he has? You can accomplish the same thing as the BSC with a diseqc or 22khz switch, but it sounds like his best bet is to slave the DVB receiver off of an analog receiver that will "drive" the dish.

I found ribbon cable on fleabay, it was around $50.00 for 100', shipped to my door.

Got it

drhydro said:
I found ribbon cable on fleabay, it was around $50.00 for 100', shipped to my door.

We ordered 100 foot last night on ebay and are splitting it with someone in my neighborhood. It was like 50 bucks to the door, a very good deal for C&Ku Band Ribbon Cable. RG6 too. Not bad..

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts