need component video switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

RocketRay

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Oct 28, 2004
SoCal
Here's my situation: I've got a Hitachi HDTV which has one component video input. I've got an Onkyo receiver which handles component video from my DVD player and my VOOM tv. Problem is, I need another component input for the PC DVR I'm building, and the receiver can't handle any more.

Who makes a component video switch, and where's a good place to get one?

To my knowledge there are no component true HD capture cards. It is not possible unless you go from component to SDI and then use an SDI capture card which are tons of money. Please post some more details about your PC DRV, I'm interested to see what your plan is.

A PC HDTV capture card isn't what I'm after. (BTW, there is one, PCHDTV, for Linux only). I have three component inputs to my TV: VOOM TV box, DVD player, and the PC DVR. My Onkyo receiver will handle two of them. So I need a component video switch, which I'll use to switch between the DVR and VOOM TV.

I could get a better receiver which handles more than two component inputs, but my current receiver is just fine and I don't want to spend $350+ for a new receiver just to handle this one problem.

Help! :eek: :confused:

BTW, hardware for the DVR:
AMD XP 1900+ CPU
2 80GB HDs, RAIDed together.
DVD burner
Avermedia video capture card
Grandtech HiVision 2 VGA to component converter
MythTV on Fedora Core 3 (linux)

Actually, if/when VOOM raises their rates, I'll dump them and then I'll get the PCHDTV card, then I'll get OTA HDTV that way. Then this whole problem will be moot. :)

RocketRay said:
Here's my situation: I've got a Hitachi HDTV which has one component video input. I've got an Onkyo receiver which handles component video from my DVD player and my VOOM tv. Problem is, I need another component input for the PC DVR I'm building, and the receiver can't handle any more.

Who makes a component video switch, and where's a good place to get one?
You can buy a composit video switch for 30 to 50 dollars and they will work fine.

ok here is what you need to do that will save you alot of money!!!!!I have four things hooked up to two component videos on my tv. I went to Walmart and bought six Y-adapters and hooked up a Y-adapter to the red(male end) one to the green(male end) and one to the blue(male end). When you do this it allows you to hook up two reds,two greens and two blues to each component video input on the tv. The Y-adapters cost about $3.23 each so for about $20.00 you can hook up four things to two inputs on your tv. I have had mine hooked up this way for over a year and have had no problems, also it will pass the hd siginal and does not degrade the quality at all. The only problem you may have is " Make sure that the two video sources that you have hooked up to the same component input are not turned on at the same time this will cause interference" Well hope this works for you like it did for me....................................DIGITAL~DAN

You can buy a composit video switch for 30 to 50 dollars and they will work fine.

Buy them where? The Pelican Pro seems to have dropped off the face of the earth.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)