Need detailed specific instructions to download software into CoolSat 8000hd

Status
Please reply by conversation.

sartityug

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 31, 2009
missouri
I have a CoolSat 8000hd receiver that I recently purchased off of ebay. I'm trying to use it to pick up the S2 RTN channels on AMC3/W3. It works with the regular QPSK channels but I'm getting freezing and no audio on the S2 channels. I want to try to run the "Clean_sw" file that I've heard about and then install different software such as the 2.02.1A, or the 1.19.2A that I've heard others have and do not experience the problems I've had. My unit says it has the11,16,9A software version in it. I have a null modem cable but I've not figured out how to use it. I have Windows XP for dummies and have searched through the computer books at Border Book store and I've searched the web looking for instruction on how to use this cable to download software from my PC to my receiver. No luck so far in finding out how to do it. I'm even confused now about other stuff I might need such as loaders, etc. from reading in forums. Can anybody please explain in a detailed step by step way (I'm a computer novice), what to do and what else I might need in terms of computer tools, programs, etc to do this? Thanks.

Attachments

• New Loader _CSUpgrade_v3.01.zip
    33.8 KB · Views: 206
1. unzip files
2. run loader
3. select MODE = Download, TYPE = Firmware, channels
4. open file
5. turn off and on receiver with switch on back and when you see LD flashing in screen of receiver – PRESS START

after the computer says downloading wait until receiver reboots

Thanks for the reply. I have downloader the loader to my destop. I still do not know what to do. I have never downloaded anything from the web into a receiver or used a null modem cable. I've tried looking for instructions on how to do it step by step in detailed instructions. Is there a book or some place where you learned how to do this or can you tell me how to do it?

Thanks once again for the instructions. I have a regular computer. I need instructions on how to do it still though. When you say, "unzip the files" exactly how do I do this. I have installed zip genius and ken wards zipper on my computer. But I don't know what to do. After I click on the link for the clean file then what?

If you know how to unzip the compressed file (ends in .zip) , its not hard to do this. doubleclick the zip file, if you have WinZip installed it should open and offer to unzip the file- do the same thing to the firmware file if its a zip file too. Unzip loader program, firmware file, put into a folder you can find, connect cable to the receiver from computer, then run loader program. Follow the rest of Icebergs directions, its not complicated. Just don't try to load a zipped file to your receiver!

Just don't try to load a zipped file to your receiver!
Second that!
When the file is un-zipped, it will not end with ".zip".

EDIT: Does the Coolsat Loader need to have the COM Port selected, or does it auto search?

Okay I think I see my problem. When I click on the clean file I get a box that says "invalid attachment" or something like that. And the top of the box says "zip genius". So I guess I need a different zip program. Any suggestions on which one to get and where to get it? Thanks for all the help.

Okay, I've have tried opening the file with Ken Ward's zipper and with 7 zip which I just downloaded from the web. I click on the clean file. I open it from its current location. I then get a box that says "open with" I have tried opening this with those two unzip programs and I get a message that says, "C:\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Content IE5\U1234N07\Clean [1] zip is not a valid Win32 application."
Any idea what I'm doing wrong.

Here's an idea=create a folder (you know how to do that , right?) put the 3 zip files in there. The loader prog, the cleaner prog, and your new firmware file. Then open 7zip, should be listed in your programs file if you didnt DL it to your desktop. Then just Open File under 7zip, one at a time, when it says UNZIP TO-select the same folder their ZIPPED originals are in. Once all 3 unzipped, then doubleclick the loader program, IT will prob ask you to pick a file also. You want to run the cleaner file first? Select it, download it to your receiver following earlier directions.

Okay if I understand correctly. I right clicked on my desktop and created a folder and named it loader program,cleaner file, new firmware file. I downloadd the three zipped files into this folder. So far so good. I then go to start menu, programs, z-zip, and click z-zip file manager. At that point a screen comes up and I can see the three files in it. But I can't figure out how to open the files. I click on the first file which is the cleaner file and it is highlighted in blue. I right click it again and it says open and says open by hitting the enter key. When I hit the enter key I then see only that one file. I click on it and it becomes blue. I right click on it and see the same thing as before. I hit the enter key and something flashes on and off my screen real fast and I don't know what it says. So I again click on it and it becomes blue. I right click and see the options and try to open it by hitting the enter key. I then see a message that says, "you are attempting to open a file of type"(.bin).....If you still want to open the file click Open With otherwise click cancel. When I press open with I am right back into the same folder as before where it says choose a program you wish to use to open "clean.bin" When I look at the properties of the files in the folder I created it says they are zip files. If I cllick the 7 -zip program I get the same message as before that the zip is not a valid win32 application.

1. unzip files
2. run loader
3. select MODE = Download, TYPE = Firmware, channels
4. open file
5. turn off and on receiver with switch on back and when you see LD flashing in screen of receiver – PRESS START

after the computer says downloading wait until receiver reboots

I'm curious about this.... ie the above is slightly different from what is done on my 8100, and yet I've always been under the impression that the 8000 and 8100 were the same except for the USB port.

The difference is that in your (5), with my 8100, I turn off the receiver, THEN, I press start before turning the receiver on. The loader program waits for the receiver to come on, and I don't have to hurry at all. I've read a set of directions for the 8000 that agrees with what you've said, and I think it said that you had to be quick with respect to going back and pressing START, or else it wouldn't take, and you'd have to try again.
Anyway, I'm just curious whether the method used with the 8100 might also work with the 8000, since it makes it a bit more leasurely not to have to do things in a hurry.

Also, to add to the wait until the receiver reboots thing, on my 8100, if you are watching the progress via the % done indicator on the receiver, it's a bit confusing because it gets up to 100%, but then it keeps going, and the progress bar on the loader changes color and it says please wait, and you start to think something has gone wrong. Anyway, that's normal.... just wait.

One other note, some of the instructions I've read suggest that you disconnect the coax to the LNB before doing the upgrade. While I don't think this is generally necessary, I did run into one instance when I had trouble and it didn't work, so I tried that, and it worked. Probably just a coincidence.

Oh yeah, one other thing.....I think this CLEAN thing isn't necessary if you're going to a newer firmware version, as long as the version on the receiver is working OK, but if going backwards or if there are problems, I think it best to use the Clean first.
Also, when using the CLEAN file, with the intent of putting on NEW firmware, some people seem to always first put on an old version of firmware first, before loading the NEW version. I don't think this is necessary, I think it's something that people do before putting on a hacker version or something, however just for safety, I usually do that anyway, even though I'm putting on the new factory firmware. Probably not necessary at all.
Anyway... on several of the different instructions I've seen for the process, it tells you that if you are loading that "CLEAN" file to clear out the old software , it tells you that this step could take several minutes. At least on my 8100, it does NOT, it only takes about 2 seconds. I was expecting a long wait, and as soon as I turned on the receiver and it lit up the LOADER display on the front panel, BLINK, and it said something like MEMORY CLEARED or something like that in about 2 seconds. I thought for sure something was wrong since it didn't take minutes as I expected.
But anyway as mentioned, I've seen different instructions for this process on the 8100 vs 8000, and I wonder if it is really different on the 2 receivers, or if people have just developed different techniques that work or something. I get the impression that there are different ways of doing the firmware transfer and some of the methods have steps that aren't necessary, but people have included them since they found a procedure that works. I think this is partly due to the fact that there are no instructions or loader programs or clean files on the Coolsat site, as those generally come from the hacker sites. The actual factory firmware is available on the Coolsat site, but even that seems to actually come from the hackers, as they usually put it on the net sooner than Coolsat does.
Coolsat seems to rely on the hackers to upgrade the firmware, and when I had problems with one of my 8100s, the Coolsat authorized dealer told me to go to a now defunct hacker site to get the most up to date firmware. I had sent my receiver back for repair, but they couldn't fix it, but finally got it working thanks to firmware and help found on the hacker site. So like it or not, FTA'ers are to a large extent dependent upon the pirate community not only for creating the demand necessary to provide us with affordable receivers, but also for doing the troubleshooting and firmware upgrades necessary to work the bugs out of these receivers.

sartityug-
If you Right Click the Zipped file, in the Pop-Up menu you should see "7Zip" put the Pointer on that - should have a Fly-Out, look for "Extract Here" file will decompress to the folder you have the Zipped file in.

Thanks again Lak7 I did that and another file appears in the folder that looks the same. What do I do next?

Here's an idea=create a folder (you know how to do that , right?) put the 3 zip files in there. The loader prog, the cleaner prog, and your new firmware file. Then open 7zip, should be listed in your programs file if you didnt DL it to your desktop. Then just Open File under 7zip, one at a time, when it says UNZIP TO-select the same folder their ZIPPED originals are in. Once all 3 unzipped, then doubleclick the loader program, IT will prob ask you to pick a file also. You want to run the cleaner file first? Select it, download it to your receiver following earlier directions.

I opened all three zip files using "extract here" and put them in the same folder. I then double clicked the loader program. A pop up came up and says choose the program you want to use to open loader program with.

A pop up came up and says choose the program you want to use to open loader program with.
"Program" is the firmware(file) you are trying to load.
Navigate to the folder where you un-zipped the files to, select the appropriate file(program)
then continue with loading instructions.

"Program" is the firmware(file) you are trying to load.
Navigate to the folder where you un-zipped the files to, select the appropriate file(program)
then continue with loading instructions.

In the little window that says choose the program you want to use to open loader program with I press the other button and choose desktop and click on the folder that has the three files in it and it is empty. I hit open and nothing happens. The I clicked the box below that says programs and drop down and change to files and click and I see the six files. Two are cleaner files and one is zipped. I click on the one that is not a zip file and press open and I get the same warning that it isn't a valid windows 32 operation.

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts