Need detailed specific instructions to download software into CoolSat 8000hd

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
Change file type to ".SNG"

Attachments

• untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    31.6 KB · Views: 138
Last edited:
Change file type to ".SNG"
I don't know how to do that, can you tell me how? I tried right clicking on the clean file that is not zipped and scrolled down to the 7-zip and a box to the right opened. I clicked open archive. But from there I could not see how to change the file.

Last edited:
See new Pic above.
I've yet to see a window that looks like the one above. I may have done something wrong but I don't know what. I created the folder on my desktop and opened all the attachments into that folder. I right clicked on them and hit extract here with the 7 zip program. But when I double click on the extracted files I do not see the window that you show in the picture above. Instead I see a windown that says "choose the program you want to open the loader file with " and the options are things like adobe, 7-zip, internet explorer, etc. Where did I go wrong?

Which 3 files did you download?
One of them should be called "CSUpgrade.exe"
Double click that
I downloaded the loader and cleaner file from the links Iceberg gave in post number two. I opened them to the folder I created on my desktop. the loader file is labelled "newLoader_CSUpgrade_v3[2}.01 I don't see a file extension that ends in .exe

Maybe somebody who has unzipped the files can email them to him already. I wonder if he has some kind of security software that restricts him from opening/installing program files, or clicking on exe files in Windows.

Maybe somebody who has unzipped the files can email them to him already. I wonder if he has some kind of security software that restricts him from opening/installing program files, or clicking on exe files in Windows.
Okay I tried something else. I right clicked on the Loader file and then opened the archive. I hit the copy tab and the full name of the file was "New Loader_CSUpgrade_V3[2].01\CSUpgrade.V3.01.exe. Next I copied this file to the same folder. When I double clicked it this time I got the following warning, "Failed to load control Common Dialog from COMDLG32.OCX. Your version of COMDLG32.OCX may be outdated. Make sure you are using the version of the control that was provided with your application. On another forum where I was researching how to do this I copied some instructions. The instructions went like this: Open the loader; New loader CSUpgrade_v3.01.exe; NOTE: Depending on your operating system (Windows 98, 2000, XP and Vista) you may need the following three OCX files in the same directory where the CSUpgrade_v3.01 is located and ALSO under C:\Windows\System32. 1)COMCTL32.OCX 2)COMDLG32.OCX 3)MSCOMM32.OCX How to apply the OCX file: Copy and paste the following command into command window (by typing 'cmd' on run Copy the command line below (one at a time) and paste in command windown by clicking the "right mouse button" and press enter REGSVR32 C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\COMCTL32.OCX REGSVR32 C"\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\COMDLG32.OCX REGSVR32 C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\MSCOMM32.OCX So maybe I need to get those three files from the same directory where the loader is located. I am on a Windows 2000 computer. Can someone post the attachment?

Last edited:
Sounds like you are getting in over your head with that. Has your Windows2000 been kept updated? I would suggest finding somebody close by who is computer-clever and ask for their help. That 'command line' stuff can get complicated for a newbie. It can be done, but with windows, soon as you install those files, something else may complain that 9more files are outdated and need replacing.

Sounds like you are getting in over your head with that. Has your Windows2000 been kept updated? I would suggest finding somebody close by who is computer-clever and ask for their help. That 'command line' stuff can get complicated for a newbie. It can be done, but with windows, soon as you install those files, something else may complain that 9more files are outdated and need replacing.
Yes, I am already way over my head. But that is how you learn. Expecially when you find someone who can teach well. This site is great. Such good information here by people who know what they are doing. If anybody can give me step by step detailed instructions on how to download those three OCX files I'd like to try to do it. I do have another computer that is Windows XP but I've had so much trouble with it that I've been trying to use the older computer instead. The older one is much better and faster. I'd like to use it cause I'd have less problems with it believe it or not. But I will try to use the XP computer again.

I'd say connect with Microsoft Update and I think then you look for Windows Family, pick your OS and let it download the upgrades available for Win2000 if it is still supported by Windows update. I haven't used windows in months, I have Win2000Pro but I stick with linux for the most part.

I'd say connect with Microsoft Update and I think then you look for Windows Family, pick your OS and let it download the upgrades available for Win2000 if it is still supported by Windows update. I haven't used windows in months, I have Win2000Pro but I stick with linux for the most part.
Even if they don't have any updates for Windows 2000 they should have them still for Windows XP. What would I be looking for when searching for updates. I think I need to have three OCX files placed inside the Windows\System32

Should be easy enough to copy the files into the system (if you got 'em and you trust 'em)
Windows update should be bookmarked on your startup program list, I think. If not, go to microsoft.com and look for Windows Update, their site usually searches to see what your operating system is and offer to install security and other updates. Look forward to hours of loading, rebooting, etc etc.depending on how far behind your system is.....

Yes, I am already way over my head. But that is how you learn. Expecially when you find someone who can teach well. This site is great. Such good information here by people who know what they are doing. If anybody can give me step by step detailed instructions on how to download those three OCX files I'd like to try to do it. I do have another computer that is Windows XP but I've had so much trouble with it that I've been trying to use the older computer instead. The older one is much better and faster. I'd like to use it cause I'd have less problems with it believe it or not. But I will try to use the XP computer again.

Sartityug,

If you feel you are in over your head, just take a short break for now and please allow me to discuss some basic information with you.

I assume that you do not understand what a *.zip or a *.rar file is at this point, or at least not completely or perfectly.

You don't need to be a technical wizard to understand these files as you do not need to get into the technical aspects of these files in order to be able to use them.

The basic purpose of a zip or a rar file is to compress the data contained within that file so that it can be transported over the internet or saved to a media like a disc without losing information. It compacts the file into a small container and makes it simple and fast to transmit over the internet.

Once you receive this package, you must unpack it (unzip or unrar it) to reveal the original files.

You will need WinZip or WinRar programs to do the "unpacking" for you. The proper term is "extract".

WinZip should be a common program contained within your PC. It usually comes with most MS packages. WinRar is something that you have to go to the internet to locate and load to your PC yourself as it is a third party saftware that is not widely accepted just yet.

RAR, or Roschall ARchive files are named after a Russian engineer who created the system. These files or compression techniques are better than zip files, but not everyone uses this system. No problem, WinZip will do the job for you in most cases.

Either way, the most you need to do is right click on a ZIP file and a menu will open that allows you choices to perform. One of the choices will be to unzip or extract the file from the "zipped" structure.

If you click on that option, you will be prompted as to WHERE to save or locate the extracted file.

It would be recommended that you create a new file folder somewhere within your PC that you will always be familiar with it's location so that you can find it readily.

If you allow it to extract the file to a default location, you may not remember where it was sent and would have to search for it. It might store it in the "My Documents" folder , or in the Program folder or who knows where. Better to set up a folder ahead of time and tell it to extract the file to that location.

Once the file is extracted, if it is an *.exe file or an executable file, then you can simply go to the location where it was extracted to, double click on the file and it should RUN automatically and install or set up the program that you wanted.

Be cautious about what files you allow to be loaded onto your PC, though. Ensure that you have a very excellent anti-virus software installed on your PC. I use AVG personally. You can get FREE WARE versions of AVG, but I recommend the purchased versions if you are going to be experiementing with file downloads that you might be uneasy about.

I don't want to get too lengthy in this discussion. I don't want to lose your attention on this subject. I just wanted to help explain the zip and rar files so that you understood why they are used and what to do with them.

AcWxRadar

Communication Cables

Sartityug,

New subject... Cables. You mentioned that you need to learn what to do with a Null Modem Cable.

First of all, you need to understand what a null modem cable is and what a straight RS232 cable is.

They are both pretty much the same. They both have the same connector ends, 9 pin D-shell style. They both use only three pins or wires. Transmit, Receive and Ground - pins 2, 3 and 5.

In the NULL MODEM CABLE, pins two and 3 are recversed from one end of the cable to the other (pin 2 on the computer end connects to pin 3 on the receiver end and pin 3 on the computer end connects to pin 2 on the receiver end. Pin 5 always connects to pin 5.)

In a STRAIGHT RS232 cable, pin 2 connects to pin 2 and pin 3 connects to pin 3 and pin 5 connects to pin 5.

You can confirm which cable you have by checking the continuity between these pins with an Ohmeter.

At least now you can visualize how simple these cables truly are and you know the difference between the two.

Also, do not worry if you use the wrong cable, you will not damage any part of your system. It will simply just not allow you to communicate between the PC and your receiver.

If you have an older tower PC or a desktop PC, you probably still have an RS232 port. However, newer PCs and especially laptops rarely have a true RS232 port anymore. They will all have several USB ports.

If your receiver uses an RS232 com port, and your newer PC only has USB output ports, then you will be required to use a USB to RS232 adapter. If you have to go this route, there are many adapters that you may purchase. Personally, I chose a Belkin F5U409 adapter. Make sure you get the driver software that goes with the cable regardless of what you choose.

AcWxRadar

Sartityug,

New subject... Cables. You mentioned that you need to learn what to do with a Null Modem Cable.

First of all, you need to understand what a null modem cable is and what a straight RS232 cable is.

They are both pretty much the same. They both have the same connector ends, 9 pin D-shell style. They both use only three pins or wires. Transmit, Receive and Ground - pins 2, 3 and 5.

In the NULL MODEM CABLE, pins two and 3 are recversed from one end of the cable to the other (pin 2 on the computer end connects to pin 3 on the receiver end and pin 3 on the computer end connects to pin 2 on the receiver end. Pin 5 always connects to pin 5.)

I agree re the 2,3,5<---->3,2,5 thing, however a slight clarification of the above relative to terminology.
A NULL MODEM CABLE uses 8 pins, not just 3, and in addition it has some pins tied together inside the connections. Ie:
2 -------- 3
3 -------- 2

7----------8

8----------7

5----------5

6----|
1----|

4----|

For the Coolsat, and every other fta receiver I've used, you do not need a null modem cable, you just need the 3 pin cable that you described. I don't know what the proper name for the 3 pin cable is, I've always just called it a reversing cable. Unfortunately, you can't buy a simple reversing cable, and a NULL cable works fine, so that is what most people seem to use. I use only 3 pin cables, because I make them myself out of modular phone wire, which is thin and easy to route along baseboards, etc.

I agree re the 2,3,5<---->3,2,5 thing, however a slight clarification of the above relative to terminology.

A NULL MODEM CABLE uses 8 pins, not just 3, and in addition it has some pins tied together inside the connections.

For the Coolsat, and every other fta receiver I've used, you do not need a null modem cable, you just need the 3 pin cable that you described.

I don't know what the proper name for the 3 pin cable is, I've always just called it a reversing cable.

Unfortunately, you can't buy a simple reversing cable, and a NULL cable works fine, so that is what most people seem to use. I use only 3 pin cables, because I make them myself out of modular phone wire, which is thin and easy to route along baseboards, etc.

B.J.

Yes, I agree with your clarification.

Terminology-wise, a NULL MODEM cable explains the situation regarding the wiring, but is not completely necessary as only the three pins are used. Rx, Tx and Common. The same as a standard RS232 cable using only these three pins, except pins 2 and 3 "crossover" from one end to the other.

I guess, for satellite STB purposes, we could simply identify the cables as "straight" RS2322 and "crossover" RS232 serial cables.

I fabricate my own cables for this purpose as well. I use cables that are purposely manufactured for industrial 3 and 4 wire sensors, (inductive and capacitive proximity sensors and photo-detector sensors). These cables are extremely flexible, small diameter and lightweight.

The actual conductors are very small guage multi-strand, I am not sure what gauge they are, but at least no larger than 26 gauge. I am using one cable now that is roughly 60 feet in length and I do not experience any problems with signal loss or corruption during data transfers. I think a person could use up to 100 feet of length if desired, but I would feel skeptical with this small gauge at over 80 feet.

AcWxRadar

Which 3 files did you download?
One of them should be called "CSUpgrade.exe"
Double click that
Okay I'm back to try again. I got my computer reloaded with Windows XP and hopefully I got all the files I need now so I can do this. But I'm having a problem. When I try to download the latest software for the Coolsat 8000 from coolsatusa it is only downloading about 18 percent or 363 KB of the 1.8 megabites and then it says download complete. When I try to extract the file it gives me a message saying, "no files to extract". It seems it is not downloading the the newsoftware from coolsat. Does anybody else have this problem when they go to coolsatusa and try to download the latest software for the coolsat 8000? Any suggestions on what to do or some other place to get the software? Thanks.

Just tried it here, works ok. Go to the page with the file on coolsatusa, right-click on it Save Link As........ pick that and it worked for me. 1.9MB

Okay I'm back to try again. I got my computer reloaded with Windows XP and hopefully I got all the files I need now so I can do this. But I'm having a problem. When I try to download the latest software for the Coolsat 8000 from coolsatusa it is only downloading about 18 percent or 363 KB of the 1.8 megabites and then it says download complete. When I try to extract the file it gives me a message saying, "no files to extract". It seems it is not downloading the the newsoftware from coolsat. Does anybody else have this problem when they go to coolsatusa and try to download the latest software for the coolsat 8000? Any suggestions on what to do or some other place to get the software? Thanks.

That is unusual. Doe it seem like it is taking a long time to download? Maybe your internet connection is losing data or too slow.

Try downloading the file using someone else's PC and save the file to a memory stick. See if that makes any difference. If it does, then maybe you have some firewall parameter that is prohibiting it or your connection is lousy.

I am just guessing, but it is worth an attempt.

Radar

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts