Need Direct TV advice

Status
Please reply by conversation.

EZFrag

Original poster
Nov 5, 2013
United States, Earth
Due to my local cable company being a Mickey Mouse operation, I am considering going to satellite. I don't know why, but I have always preferred DirectTV. I have price it and for what I need, it is more than I am willing to spend. I need to have 6 TV's hooked up on it. I was wondering if I bought the equipment myself, could I hook them up if I went with a 1 or 2 TV setup with them? Is this do-able?

First, unless you're willing to pay a MUCH higher upfront cost for the equipment itself, you do NOT actually "own" the equipment - whether you buy it or have D* bring it out. And even at that, you're going to end up paying more upfront just to get it in - plus still have to go through the hassle of installing it yourself.
Just because you have 6 TV's sitting in your house, does NOT mean you have to actually order the service FOR 6 TV's; just order it from D* for 2 TV's, then do the rest yourself. Keep in mind, most D* techs will NOT do "mirroring" of receivers to other sets. Also, none of the HD receivers D* uses has RF (ch 3-4) outputs to easily backfeed to other (SD) sets. And, even if you do, there IS an issue on all HD receivers, when you simultaneously try to use the HD & SD (composite) video outputs; if you are watching in HD on the HD outputs, you will not get any on-screen displays on the SD outputs.

BTW, it would really help us, help you, if you told us some basics - like if you're wanting things like HD, DVR or whole-house DVR service. Also, some markets REQUIRE all HD receivers & dish, so where you're located would sure help...

I don't know why, but I have always preferred DirectTV. I have price it and for what I need, it is more than I am willing to spend.

Not that I'm pushing either one, but maybe you SHOULD do some research on DISH. It may be cheaper for you, depending on the prog you're looking for. Also, it's easier on their non-hopper, HD receivers, to do backfeeds to secondary TV's - so you can save money on needing more receivers.

Last edited:
:welcome to Satelliteguys EZFrag!

Regardless how you get the equipment, you will pay $6/month for each receiver/dvr you have beyond the first one. You can use the additional outputs to mirror the programming on the extra tvs to save some money.

First, unless you're willing to pay a MUCH higher upfront cost for the equipment itself, you do NOT actually "own" the equipment - whether you buy it or have D* bring it out. And even at that, you're going to end up paying more upfront just to get it in - plus still have to go through the hassle of installing it yourself. Just because you have 6 TV's sitting in your house, does NOT mean you have to actually order the service FOR 6 TV's; just order it from D* for 2 TV's, then do the rest yourself. Keep in mind, most D* techs will NOT do "mirroring" of receivers to other sets. Also, none of the HD receivers D* uses has RF (ch 3-4) outputs to easily backfeed to other (SD) sets. And, even if you do, there IS an issue on all HD receivers, when you simultaneously try to use the HD & SD (composite) video outputs; if you are watching in HD on the HD outputs, you will not get any on-screen displays on the SD outputs. BTW, it would really help us, help you, if you told us some basics - like if you're wanting things like HD, DVR or whole-house DVR service. Also, some markets REQUIRE all HD receivers & dish, so where you're located would sure help... Not that I'm pushing either one, but maybe you SHOULD do some research on DISH. It may be cheaper for you, depending on the prog you're looking for. Also, it's easier on their non-hopper, HD receivers, to do backfeeds to secondary TV's - so you can save money on needing more receivers.

I don't believe there is an issue with the mirroring. I think directv has set it up this way so the home brew systems of old are gone and they can make a higher profit forcing you to add receivers vs going SD and mirroring them. Just my thoughts

I don't believe there is an issue with the mirroring. I think directv has set it up this way so the home brew systems of old are gone and they can make a higher profit forcing you to add receivers vs going SD and mirroring them. Just my thoughts

OK, well if you (really) understand the problem I posted with attempting to mirror HD receivers...then I guess I don't understand how you "don't think there is an issue" then. :confused: :confused:

The bottom line is...BEFORE D* did their "glorious" HD-GUI upgrade, I could simply plug in a simple (agile) RF mod into any HD receiver's video output, then combine &/or run to other SDTV's, with NO problems with those users being able to remote control those receivers - while the HD output worked normally to the HDTV. I had dozens of customers that I had done this before for years, & I should add, NO other TV provider has this stupid-a$$ limitation on their HD boxes! (including the E* Hopper/Joey's, of which I've done SD mirrors on as well)

So, the only ways to mirror an HD receiver now are:
- live w/out OSD's on the SDTV's while the HDTV works normally (not really feasible)
- switch the receiver output to SD only, which then (also) forces the HDTV to display only in SD (it's also an extra step that most customers don't understand & don't like doing)
- invest in a component-to-composite converter, before the RF modulator, so that the user doesn't have to switch resolutions &/or loose OSD's on the SDTV

Either solution is a PITA...but yea, of COURSE D* set it up this way on purpose - gee let me put on my "BIG SURPRISE" face... :p

Part of the problem is my wife. She believes that all 6 tv's need service, when we really only watch about 3 of them. As far as doing my "research", that's what I'm trying to do now. I don't really know where to start. Is there a guide somewhere to installing in your house things like this? Where you put together your own network of stuff. Right now, I'm paying for HD channels that only work half the time and it's driving me nuts. I purchased a TIVO that would be great if my cable worked right. The cable company does not seem interested in making it work.

So, Here I am and don't know which way to go. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Also, I do not mind upfront cost as long as I know what I am buying and why. What I don't want is my bill significantly increasing after 12 months.

You're monthly bill will be that same whether you own the units or not. If they install it's free, if you do it it's going to cost and it's not an easy job.
If some of your TVs are not HD you could use one SD receiver to serve several of the SD TVs without the hassles mentioned earlier as long as you don't need to watch different channels on the TVs.

Part of the problem is my wife. She believes that all 6 tv's need service, when we really only watch about 3 of them. As far as doing my "research", that's what I'm trying to do now. I don't really know where to start. Is there a guide somewhere to installing in your house things like this? Where you put together your own network of stuff. Right now, I'm paying for HD channels that only work half the time and it's driving me nuts. I purchased a TIVO that would be great if my cable worked right. The cable company does not seem interested in making it work.

So, Here I am and don't know which way to go. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Also, I do not mind upfront cost as long as I know what I am buying and why. What I don't want is my bill significantly increasing after 12 months.
I don't think you realize what kind of money is involved when you buy the equipment outright. Plus there is no benefit since the monthly cost is the same whether you lease or own besides having no contract. For a mix of 6 DVRs and receivers, a dish and all the odds and ends, you're looking at somewhere in the neighborhood of $2,000-$3,000 if you buy, versus a couple of hundred if you lease.

Your bill is going to jump after the promo period no matter who you get. If you want to keep costs down, you'll have to switch providers again after 2 years.

Ask your wife if she'd rather pay DirecTV an extra $20/month for 3 idle TVs or keep that money for herself. I'm sure DirecTV would be glad to have it, but it seems like a huge waste to me.

Don't do a self install, and don't buy your own equipment. A pro will do it correctly and quickly for free. Also when you buy your own equipment, you're on the hook for repairs and replacement, plus you get almost nothing back when you go to sell because most of it will be worn out and obsolete.

What you need to do is go through the package pricing wizards on Dish's and DirecTV's websites, look at each one's channel lineup and make a decision. Once you decide, sign up online or give them a call and let them provide all the equipment and do all the work. The service and equipment are functionally the same, so price and programming should drive your decision. Apples to apples, Dish usually comes out cheaper but lacks the sports packages available only on DirecTV (Sunday Ticket, etc.).

Here's a good comparison of what HD channels are available on each: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1462894/o...lineups-cable-dbs-fiber-iptv-updated-10-26-13

OK, well if you (really) understand the problem I posted with attempting to mirror HD receivers...then I guess I don't understand how you "don't think there is an issue" then. :confused: :confused:

The bottom line is...BEFORE D* did their "glorious" HD-GUI upgrade, I could simply plug in a simple (agile) RF mod into any HD receiver's video output, then combine &/or run to other SDTV's, with NO problems with those users being able to remote control those receivers - while the HD output worked normally to the HDTV. I had dozens of customers that I had done this before for years, & I should add, NO other TV provider has this stupid-a$$ limitation on their HD boxes! (including the E* Hopper/Joey's, of which I've done SD mirrors on as well)

So, the only ways to mirror an HD receiver now are:
- live w/out OSD's on the SDTV's while the HDTV works normally (not really feasible)
- switch the receiver output to SD only, which then (also) forces the HDTV to display only in SD (it's also an extra step that most customers don't understand & don't like doing)
- invest in a component-to-composite converter, before the RF modulator, so that the user doesn't have to switch resolutions &/or loose OSD's on the SDTV

Either solution is a PITA...but yea, of COURSE D* set it up this way on purpose - gee let me put on my "BIG SURPRISE" face... :p

The "issue" is there for a reason. It's there to force people to subscribe to more receivers in a home and in turn bring in higher profits. So the "issue" is in place to run a better business model vs being able to mirror an HD box to several other tv's. I personally think its wrong but has paid for them

Posted Via The SatelliteGuys Reader App!

I'm a bit surprised that SD mirroring isn't working for some of you.

My receiver is an H24. I can watch tv via HDMI and record the same program on a VCR connected to the video out. The only problem I have is that if I try to pull up the guide I get a message saying that I need to change screen format. It goes away in a bit.

I'm too cheap to get a DVR.

The "issue" is there for a reason. It's there to force people to subscribe to more receivers in a home and in turn bring in higher profits.

Yea, as I DID say:

...but yea, of COURSE D* set it up this way on purpose - gee let me put on my "BIG SURPRISE" face... :p

I'm a bit surprised that SD mirroring isn't working for some of you.

My receiver is an H24. I can watch tv via HDMI and record the same program on a VCR connected to the video out. The only problem I have is that if I try to pull up the guide I get a message saying that I need to change screen format. It goes away in a bit.

Sending a (simultaneous) SD signal to a VCR f/recording, is NOT in the same boat, as trying to extend that same SD signal out to multiple, secondary SDTV's. When a person goes to the secondary set to pull up a guide, change channels, etc...they will NOT get ANY displays to see. (except for the stupid "your TV is NOT HD message") THAT'S why I keep saying "it doesn't work", as it's VERY impractical to have to switch the receiver back & forth from HD to SD, in order TO see those on-screen displays...see the diff???

And to beat a dead horse (again)...NO other provider's receivers has this stupid limitation...

Last edited:
We are glad to help, that's what we are here for! Feel free to come back with more questions.

I am attempting to backfeed from a Directv H20 receiver. The current setup I am using is as follows....composite cables from HR20 receiver to composite in on RF modulator, coax from rf modulator (TV out port) to TV2. With the TV set to channel 3 or channel 4 I get a distorted picture on the new LED TV (TV2). I would refer to the distorted picture as "ghosting". I was also getting a snowy picture at times before...until i repositioned the modulator.

Does anyone know what the reason is for the picture distortion and how to fix this?

:welcome to Satelliteguys newtobackfeed!

Check your private messages.

Another option for "mirroring" is an HDMI splitter that can send the HDMI signal from one DVR to multiple TVs simultaneously. I have picked up a few of these & some 30 foot HDMI cables off of eBay pretty cheap and they work amazingly well :)

Thanks Chip for all the help. I have checked the connections and everything is correct. I have also tried an old VCR as the mod and I get the same result (ghosting/blurred picture on TV2).

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts