Need for NEW weather channel

I don't see how any nation weather station can give you the precise weather you're looking for. All the suggestions people posted here are the best options.

For severe weather nothing beats OTA TV and weather radio. However dish needs to have the "local on the 8's" thingies that they promised to have some 2 years ago.

I agree the Weather Channel sucks. It always seems to be running documentaries when I do want to view the weather. When Dish did not want to renew TWV due to higher rates they ran a temporary channel called Weathercast, which was excellent. They should dump TWC and bring back Weathercast.

Hopper has a weather app that comes in handy, but it's from the weather channel so not sure if that helps

Weather Channel most surely needs competition. I know it was a little amateurish, but I actually liked the short lived substitute Dish had for awhile.

As for impending disastrous weather a portable radio is what I grab first. But there is a place for specifically satellite weather. Yes, OTA local will be the best, but they can be knocked out too or be on low power. I get Distants because in a good day I barely get any signal. So, If you have a generator then you can continue to watch weather. During the weeks (yep weeks) we were without electricity in Eastern Ct last year I continued to watch TV. Cable users of course could not.

I'm with the OP, but not for local weather, but because NBC is ruining the Weather Channel brand with documentaries and "Today" type of bits (clothing, cooking, etc.). Weathercast would be wonderful competition. The local weather over the phone line is fine, local stations are best for true emergency info. If I want anything else I go to a news station. NBC/Roker is a disease. Don't try to be everything for everybody. It never works.

I hate it when I watch something I recorded previously and the program is interupted for up to 9 minutes of a rain update, not even severe weather. I have noticed that they never interupt during commercial time. A seperate local weather channel is what is needed for those that need it. I get my weather from the internet.

I have heard they are on fta but don't know if they're scrambled also whether they are on c band or ku. Also does anybody know the cheapest way to get into c band tv ?

I think everyone should request weathernation tv be put on both dish and directv at WeatherNation | Facebook

no thanks. We have that crap here in Minneapolis since the guy who runs it...aka the goof on the roof use to work for KARE 11 (the NBC affiliate that carries it)
So yesterday when we had torrential storms, hail and high winds they never cut in. All they do is go around the US and talk about that area. They have "local forecast" but its just a taped segment from the local station. So at 7:30 when it was hailing out the "local forecast" said "hot and humid this afternoon and some rain tonight"...it was the same broadcast from earlier in the day :eek:

They finally added a radar locally in the right corner but its so tiny you cant see where the storms are

Nowhere near solved unfortunately, depending on having an internet connection is a mistake. It's what makes Satellite stand out, just need power, something that can be in your control.

In my experience, at least in our neck of the woods, you are far more likely to have DSL or dial up telephone than satellite service...and I use backup power very frequently. But there is always weather band radio, which can be set to sound an alarm in severe weather....and you can use cellular telephone as a wireless modem. All in all, using TV for weather alerts...is one of the least efficient ways to get real time NOAA data

Midland Radio - Midland Radio | Home

Last edited:
No need for the weather channel anymore since you can get everything on your phones without having to wait.

Sent from my C64 w/Epyx FastLoad Cartridge

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)