Need help choosing equipment

M-2 Hydra

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 18, 2019
Louisiana
I want to buy a GTMEDIA V8 satellite finder or satlink finder and a GeoSat pro 90cm dish. I want to use the satellite finder as a reciver so if the power went out i could watch using the satellite finder that would be its main purpose or am i wrong here

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Straight Talk or ViaSat

Last edited:
i would either like the GT or the SATLINK but i may need a cheaper dish (under 100 dollars) free shipping. but compared to the GTMEDIA i perfer the look of the satlink and the user replaceable battery but is it more than looks here?

and ideas and would they be compatible together?

any suggestion is appreciated

Last edited:
I want to buy a GTMEDIA V8 satellite finder or satlink finder and a GeoSat pro 90cm dish. I want to use the satellite finder as a reciver so if the power went out i could watch using the satellite finder that would be its main purpose or am i wrong here

i would either like the GT or the SATLINK but i may need a cheaper dish (under 100 dollars) free shipping. but compared to the GTMEDIA i perfer the look of the satlink and the user replaceable battery but is it more than looks here?
and ideas and would they be compatible together?
any suggestion is appreciated

If you are definite about choosing between the Satlink or the V8 I would go with the V8 because it does DVB-S2. The Satlink will miss all the DVB-S2 channels. I would not go smaller than a 90cm dish or you may be limiting your viewing choices. Another option if you want to view during power outages would be a UPS backup system although you would need a rather powerful one to view for any length of time. :rolleyes:

Reactions: M-2 Hydra
If you are definite about choosing between the Satlink or the V8 I would go with the V8 because it does DVB-S2. The Satlink will miss all the DVB-S2 channels. I would not go smaller than a 90cm dish or you may be limiting your viewing choices. Another option if you want to view during power outages would be a UPS backup system although you would need a rather powerful one to view for any length of time. :rolleyes:
i actually have a backup power solution called (SPPO) Somewhat Portable Power Outlet. a 500 watt and 200 watt i built me self. anyway im not saying i want a smaller dish i just want something a little cheaper if possible because the dish was 99 dollars free shipping but now it is just over my budget the price changed to 119 dollars free shipping i believe. i might can get the dish but i need to know if it will work with the V8 or not.

i have another question i on the V8 could i possibly connect an OTA antenna like the ONN 8 dollars antenna and watch OTA tv? or would this be stretching it. i just want to get things straight.

i actually have a backup power solution called (SPPO) Somewhat Portable Power Outlet. a 500 watt and 200 watt i built me self. anyway im not saying i want a smaller dish i just want something a little cheaper if possible because the dish was 99 dollars free shipping but now it is just over my budget the price changed to 119 dollars free shipping i believe. i might can get the dish but i need to know if it will work with the V8 or not.
Good to hear that you have some backup solutions available. I do see that they have raised the price. :( Even so it's still a good deal since it also includes a pll lnbf and ships free. You may be able to get by with something smaller but most will regret going smaller. Yes, that dish will work fine with most if not all sat receivers and including the V8 finder. You just need to make sure your settings (finder or receiver) match your lnbf specs and make sure you enter a valid tp when looking for a signal. :)

Reactions: M-2 Hydra
Is there a certain type of coaxial cable i will need or can i just use any cable

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Straight Talk or ViaSat
You should try to get high quality RG6 quad shield. It is available at Home Depot. They often sell it by the foot but you can also buy it in 50, 100, 500 and 1000 foot spools depending on your needs. You can also find spools of various lengths on eBay. Look for a solid copper conductor as opposed to copper clad steel if you can get it. If you buy it by the foot you will also need good quality compression fittings, a coax stripper and a compression tool to attach them. I use these and have had no issues. I also wrap all my connections with 3M Temflex rubber splicing tape to keep out moisture. If any of the four links don't show let me know and I will PM the info to you. :)

Amazon product ASIN B004D9WXCMAmazon product ASIN B002KWZCR2Amazon product ASIN B000HRWOTQ
https://www.lowes.com/pd/3M-Temflex-2155-Rubber-Splicing-22-ft-Electrical-Tape/3129711

Last edited:
Reactions: primestar31

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 4)