Need help connecting TWC Samsung HD cable box to Magnavox HDD/DVD recorder (MDR535H)

Merillumine

Original poster
Jun 4, 2013
NYC
I bought the DVD Recorder because I don't want to subscribe to Time Warner's DVR service. The DVDR instructions include connecting to a cable box, but the box pictured in the instructions has an Antenna Out connection on it, and my TWC box does not (or it might but it's covered up?). Someone suggested I try an RF Modulator. Will an RF Modulator replace the connection--from cable box to DVD Recorder? Or is there another way to get the cable signal to the recorder? I don't really know a lot about electronics, so please take that into consideration when formulating your response. Thanks!

I wasn't aware of a cable box without an RF out but considering more people have HDTV that is more of a possibility. If that is the case then how do you connect the cable box to your TV?

I wouldn't recommend using RF for a DVD recorder since that is the lowest quality . Assuming I am looking at the correct picture of the recorder then I see it should have an s-video input. This is a black round connector with four small pins. Highest quality will be achieved when using this connection method as opposed to rf or composite. Audio will be carried using the usual white and red rca cables.

Could you connect your cable box to the hdd/DVD recorder via component cable & either digital coaxial or digital optical cable? Better yet,does your HDD/DVD recorder have an hdmi pass through?

Could you connect your cable box to the hdd/DVD recorder via component cable & either digital coaxial or digital optical cable? Better yet,does your HDD/DVD recorder have an hdmi pass through?

I guess not. How ironic that the Magnavox has component cable & HDMI out,but not in. Here's a suggestion http://www.hauppauge.com/site/products/data_hdpvr2.html if you don't want to go the route of a TiVo Premier & video card from TWC.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)