Need Help deciding if a inserter is needed or amplifier

Djohnson521

Original poster
Jul 8, 2011
Minnesota

I am upgrading a receiver from I'm not sure to a 625 duo dvr. In researchinghere I found out that different LNB would more than likely be needed sincecables are buried in the ground and in the walls. I was hoping that a quickswitch out would be ease but it turned in to being many switch outs. Afterputting the new LNB (DPP Twin) in placeI ran check switch and got nothing. I took the receiver and hooked it up downby the satellite and everything worked fine. After talking with a neighbor hetold me to check for bad wires until he learned of a 4 way splitter. Moving thereceiver back to where the splitter was (taking the splitter out of the equation)everything worked great. This tells me I must have another splitter in thatline somewhere (buried in the wall). The neighbor told me to install aamplified splitter, and upon reading today and searching on where to by one Isee inserters? can anyone tell me which would be the right way?

with that said, I am wondering what dish used when they installed it at my house in town? Looked like a splitter? I know it didn't go straight to my receiver because I had multiple receivers back then.

Sounds to me like there may be an old legacy switch in the walls.Because if you had multiple receivers there would have had to have been a switch for them to work.I'm also guessing that the lnb you replaced was a legacy.If thats the case then all you would need is a legacy lnb not the dpp.

Sounds to me like there may be an old legacy switch in the walls.Because if you had multiple receivers there would have had to have been a switch for them to work.I'm also guessing that the lnb you replaced was a legacy.If thats the case then all you would need is a legacy lnb not the dpp.

Not entirely. If the old system was legacy. The old receiver would have been a single tuner unit. That being said if there was only one coax run to the location he would not be able to run a duo receiver with one coax off the legacy equipment. I see three options here. Use a single tuner receiver, find and remove the legacy switchs, or recable the outlet.

Thank you all for your responses! I found out I was mistaken it was not asplitter it was a diplexer with a splitter in the mix.
The issue I was having was there was a splitter in the wall that I could not get to and for some reason even though I'm told it should not work with our old system it did. With the new DPP it still partially worked (119 on the odd but nothing else) leading me to think a amp would help as well as I am thinking any barrell connections would also be hurting.:rolleyes:
After racking mybrain on how to do this without having to trench another line in or bustingapart fairly new walls it came to me that it really doesn't matter where thereceiver is since it is only running 2 tv's why not put the receiver up in theloft where I know there is no split. Hurts to over think sometimes LOL
Thanks again for all over your help ;)

I think these receivers are supposed to be kept at room temperature, i.e. whatever is comfortable for people. If you go on vacation, turn off your A/C, and leave the 625 up there, I can imagine the temp might rise above 130 deg. What's the highest you've measured up there?

I don't think anything close to that high. We don't have AC unless you count the lake we use to jump in to cool down LOL... It might hit 90 degrees here this weekend (will be in the lake alot) but it sounds like the temp should be fine.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)