Need help deciding on a HD DVR

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

THE5RIVERS

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Sep 8, 2009
California
Hey guys, just signed up for the site, been a lurker for years. I had some questions regarding upgrading to a HD DVR. First post so please bear with me.

I currently have two vip211's, one for hdtv upstairs, and one for hdtv downstairs. I was deciding between a 612 or a 722. The hddvr is going to replace the vip211 on the downstairs hdtv.

Questions:

If I get the 722, could I just use it for single mode instead of dual mode? Wouldn't mind the extra HDD space and PIP function.

Also, if I did decide to use the 722 for dual mode, I was thinking of using a RF transmitter/receiver to output to the second hdtv upstairs.
I understand that the TV2 output is 480i, etc, but here is where i was confused (might be a dumb question so please no flaming lol), would I still keep the vip211 i have upstairs and use the tv2 output from the 722 on another input on my hdtv? How exactly does that work because I still want to be able to view HD programming upstairs.

Finally, would there be any additional installation that would be needed to run a 722? I currently have classic 200 hd with locals, intl programming, and am running a DP44 switch.

Ideally, this is what I would like:
1. If I get 612, then self-explanatory. One hddvr functionality downstairs.
2. If I get 722, either single mode downstairs and hd programming upstairs via vip211, or dual mode with wireless output to upstairs tv and still having hd programming on upstairs tv. Of course this second scenario is contingent on still being able to receive hd programming upstairs.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! I am a noob, so I apologize in advance if I asked any asinine questions. Thanks in advance to all those who reply!

EDIT: Ok so I called up Dish and the CSR I spoke to said that if I wanted dualmode output, I could get a 622 instead of the 722, only difference being recording time capabilities. I dont even see the 622 on dishnetwork.com. Any pros/cons on the 622 vs the 722? Thoughts or comments please?

Last edited:
Hey guys, just signed up for the site, been a lurker for years. I had some questions regarding upgrading to a HD DVR. First post so please bear with me.

I currently have two vip211's, one for hdtv upstairs, and one for hdtv downstairs. I was deciding between a 612 or a 722. The hddvr is going to replace the vip211 on the downstairs hdtv.

Questions:

If I get the 722, could I just use it for single mode instead of dual mode? Wouldn't mind the extra HDD space and PIP function.

Yes

Also, if I did decide to use the 722 for dual mode, I was thinking of using a RF transmitter/receiver to output to the second hdtv upstairs.
I understand that the TV2 output is 480i, etc, but here is where i was confused (might be a dumb question so please no flaming lol), would I still keep the vip211 i have upstairs and use the tv2 output from the 722 on another input on my hdtv? How exactly does that work because I still want to be able to view HD programming upstairs.
You could run component or HDMI from the 722 to your HDTV upstairs and get HD that way if you want. Both the composite and HDMI ports are simultaneously active. The drawback is that both TVs will have identical programming. If you want independent HD programming, you'll need to keep the 211.

Yes the TV2 SD output goes to your coax input on your upstairs TV.

Finally, would there be any additional installation that would be needed to run a 722? I currently have classic 200 hd with locals, intl programming, and am running a DP44 switch.
No you should have everything you need based on what info you've provided.

Ideally, this is what I would like:
1. If I get 612, then self-explanatory. One hddvr functionality downstairs.
2. If I get 722, either single mode downstairs and hd programming upstairs via vip211, or dual mode with wireless output to upstairs tv and still having hd programming on upstairs tv. Of course this second scenario is contingent on still being able to receive hd programming upstairs.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! I am a noob, so I apologize in advance if I asked any asinine questions. Thanks in advance to all those who reply!

Yes

You could run component or HDMI from the 722 to your HDTV upstairs and get HD that way if you want. Both the composite and HDMI ports are simultaneously active. The drawback is that both TVs will have identical programming. If you want independent HD programming, you'll need to keep the 211.

Yes the TV2 SD output goes to your coax input on your upstairs TV.

No you should have everything you need based on what info you've provided.

Thanks for the answers, I really appreciate it.
I do want separate programming on both TV's. So I am thinking to get a 722, keep the 211 upstairs, and use the RF wireless transmitter/receiver to get the 722 tv2 content upstairs. That way I can keep HD programming upstairs, and also receive any recorded material from the 722 as well.

Take care and thanks again!

Why not just get External hard drives for both of your 211's. Pay a one time fee of $40.00 for each and have an HD DVR on both TV's with no DVR fee's.

Wouldn't I need an HDDVR to be able to record to an external HDD? I cannot record using the 211.

Could you clarify what you were saying? I know that I could record to an external HDD and then use that on my 211 upstairs, but I would still need to get a hddvr, probably the 612 instead of the 722.

Thanks for the response! take care!

EDIT: wait i re-read your response. are you saying that if i paid the 40 dollar fee and got an external HDD, i could record programming from my 211? I didnt know that the 211 could do that.

Yes that is correct. You will be able to record with the single tuner on the 211 (ie you won't be able to record one thing and watch another or record two things at once.

Yes that is correct. You will be able to record with the single tuner on the 211 (ie you won't be able to record one thing and watch another or record two things at once.

You can record one sat and one OTA channel at the same time. You can watch something prerecorded off the EHD while recording a sat and/or OTA. You can watch OTA while recording a sat and vice-versa. you just can't watch another sat channel while recording a sat channel or OTA while recording an OTA.

S~

Wouldn't I need an HDDVR to be able to record to an external HDD? I cannot record using the 211.

Could you clarify what you were saying? I know that I could record to an external HDD and then use that on my 211 upstairs, but I would still need to get a hddvr, probably the 612 instead of the 722.

Thanks for the response! take care!

EDIT: wait i re-read your response. are you saying that if i paid the 40 dollar fee and got an external HDD, i could record programming from my 211? I didnt know that the 211 could do that.

Yes the 211 can be activated for an EHD for $40. The EHD will be able to be taken from one 211 to the other or you could get an EHD for each. One time charge. You will not be able to use an EHD from the 612/622/722 with the 211. They are not compatible.

S~

You can record one sat and one OTA channel at the same time. You can watch something prerecorded off the EHD while recording a sat and/or OTA. You can watch OTA while recording a sat and vice-versa. you just can't watch another sat channel while recording a sat channel or OTA while recording an OTA.

S~

I appreciate the responses guys. I think I am going to be getting either the 622 or 722. I am trying to figure out how this RF transmitter/receiver (RF Link AVS-5811) works, because I am going to be keeping my 211 upstairs so that I can still watch HD programming upstairs, and just receive the tv2 output from the hddvr wirelessly so that I have the option of watching any recorded material. Going to search to see if anyone has used a RF transmitter/receiver to output TV2 to another tv. Thanks again guys!!

Yes the 211 can be activated for an EHD for $40. The EHD will be able to be taken from one 211 to the other or you could get an EHD for each. One time charge. You will not be able to use an EHD from the 612/622/722 with the 211. They are not compatible.

S~

Thanks for this clarification!

S~

This is also basically true for the 622 and 722 if you don't want to watch or record anything in SD. If you want all of your watching and recording in HD, then you have the same limitation with the 622 and the 722 as stated in the quote.

No Carl. That is not correct at all. All 3 tuners on the 622 and 722 are HD (2 satellite and 1 OTA). You are confusing tuners and outputs.

I am trying to figure out how this RF transmitter/receiver (RF Link AVS-5811) works, because I am going to be keeping my 211 upstairs so that I can still watch HD programming upstairs, and just receive the tv2 output from the hddvr wirelessly so that I have the option of watching any recorded material. Going to search to see if anyone has used a RF transmitter/receiver to output TV2 to another tv. Thanks again guys!!
Looks like it will work with your setup, as others have commented. Read some reviews on the product:

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/RF-Link-AVS-5811-5-8GHz-Transmission-Repeater/dp/B0002EXJ8Y"]Amazon.com: RF-Link AVS-5811 5.8GHz Audio and Video Transmission System with IR?@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/410VBtVGP2L.@@AMEPARAM@@410VBtVGP2L[/ame]

Transmits from your sat-box to wherever you put the receiver. Just make sure your TV has the RCA inputs for analog audio/video. You ought to be able to use the TV#2 remote for the sat-box with no issues.

Just go with the ViP722, it's the same as the 622 but black and with a larger HD. I doubt you really get to choose - you probably just get what they give you.

Looks like it will work with your setup, as others have commented. Read some reviews on the product:

Amazon.com: RF-Link AVS-5811 5.8GHz Audio and Video Transmission System with IR Repeater: Electronics

Transmits from your sat-box to wherever you put the receiver. Just make sure your TV has the RCA inputs for analog audio/video. You ought to be able to use the TV#2 remote for the sat-box with no issues.

Just go with the ViP722, it's the same as the 622 but black and with a larger HD. I doubt you really get to choose - you probably just get what they give you.

Yea i was reading those reviews too. Looked like it would work from what I read. And yea I have some A/V in on my tv so it should be good to go.

I called Dish back and asked for the 722 and they said $125.00, or I could get the 622 for free. I figured that I dont want to pay 125 to get the 722 when I could just pay 40 dollars and use an EHD which could be any capacity I want.

Thank you all for the responses!

sure about dat?

S~

I've not heard that a HDD used on a 211 isn't compatible with the other VIP units before. Are you sure about that & why would that be they are all VIP units that encryt the output to the EHDD.

I've not heard that a HDD used on a 211 isn't compatible with the other VIP units before. Are you sure about that & why would that be they are all VIP units that encryt the output to the EHDD.
It's for sure and because of two different software bases. The 211 needs to become a DVR, whereas the others already are.

Yeap. As KAB said. They use a different software platform.

S~

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)