Need help finding a signal before committing to Dish network.

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

dan1520

Original poster
Jun 14, 2011
Florida
I live in a mountain area @ 4500 ft with lots of trees. I'd like to have Dish or Direct TV but not sure if I can get a good signal. Before calling the providers to check, I noticed on ebay some signal finding equipment. The price is reasonable ($ 9 - $15) but it need a receiver which I don't have.

Question: Is there a model, reasonably priced, that can find a signal without having a receiver? Or, is there another way?

This is my first attempt to investigate satellite TV so consider me a newbie.

Thanks

Dan

Got an Android or iPhone?

If yes then get a copy of the DishPointer app and you will be able to see if you can get a signal or not. :)

Got an Android or iPhone?

If yes then get a copy of the DishPointer app and you will be able to see if you can get a signal or not. :)

I have it on my iphone.. It actually works pretty good.. At least it puts you in the general area..
I didn't know that Florida had any mountains.. LOL

Decide which provider is most appealing to you then call them. Their installer will make the determination if you can get a signal or not. If you can't he/she leaves. You're not "committed" to anything this way.

You are going about this wrong, take the advice of Hall, just call Dish and they will determine if you can get a signal. Oh, and the highest point in Florida is 3500 FT. I'm not aware of any recent volcanic activity, but I'll check the evening news.......

To further claify. I spend the summer in the mountains of North Carolina & winters in Fl. . I don't have a smart phone only a laptop. Can it be used to find a signal? If not, what commercially available equipment can be used. Or, should I just call Direct TV or Dish to have them come over. All I want now is to see if it can be done. If so, I will probably do it next summer because I'm already committed to cable tv for now. If I call Dish, etc., I'm concerned they want to sell me their service right away if the sugnal can be accessed.

the website i linked can be used on your pc

pic your location, and the sat, and see if its possible

From his first post, the OP mentioned trees. If they are tall enough they would block the LOS and no computer program can take that into the calculations.

true, but the thingy gives you a distance and height to obstacles for a reference
take a look

To further claify. I spend the summer in the mountains of North Carolina & winters in Fl. . I don't have a smart phone only a laptop. Can it be used to find a signal? If not, what commercially available equipment can be used. Or, should I just call Direct TV or Dish to have them come over. All I want now is to see if it can be done. If so, I will probably do it next summer because I'm already committed to cable tv for now. If I call Dish, etc., I'm concerned they want to sell me their service right away if the sugnal can be accessed.

I had a feeling you were spending time up here in the Mtns.Unless your property is absolutely covered with large trees to the southwest you should have no problem getting a decent signal from either company.My personal opinion is to call and get a site survey.

If I call Dish, etc., I'm concerned they want to sell me their service right away if the sugnal can be accessed.
Neither company will come out and do a "pre-check". A reseller for the company might though.... The only way DirecTV or Dish (directly) will come out is when you place an order and schedule the installation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)