This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

Need help for Dish 500 plus with dish pro plus 500+ LNBF 163060

ybccusa

Original poster
Dec 15, 2012
East Coast
I am new to the forum. I installed a Dish 500 plus with dish pro plus 500+ LNBF. The 311k receiver detected the DPP when check switch. The message state there is connected to DPP 500+ but no signal. What is missing? please help. My location is northeast

Are you trying to pick up eastern or western signals? 72/77 require mpeg 4 recievers.

The receiver will detect the lnb/type installed whether you have signal or not. High likelihood that dish is out of alignment.

Yes. I just installed the 500 plus dish with the dish pro plus LNBF. I setup the dish azimuth, elevation, and skew according to dish recommended. The signal strength is 0.

Yes. I just installed the 500 plus dish with the dish pro plus LNBF. I setup the dish azimuth, elevation, and skew according to dish recommended. The signal strength is 0.

What kind of meter are you using? Is it showing any signal at the dish?

That's part of the problem. It can be difficult to tune a dish that way without having a good check switch in the matrix to begin with. If you can take your receiver to a known working setup/same & run a check switch. Then bring it back to your location, you will have much better luck finding signal with that method.

never installed a 500+, but the first thing you should do is clear the switch matrix by running check switch with nothing connected to the receiver.

once that is done connect the lnb to port 1 and set your receiver up to look at the 119 satellite location on transponder 11 or 12 (they seem to be the strongest) and SLOWLY move dish in the general azimuth range. if no signal raise elevation 2 degrees and move the dish again in the general azimuth range....

the 311 is pretty good at responding to the signal (as compared to the vip models). also make sure your mast is plumb, the most important step...

if you can, take a small tv to where your dish is or have someone communicate to you with cell phones who is watching screen....or turn tv up real loud so you can heat the beeps turn to a solid tone...

Double check your polar settings. If you are certain your rough azimuth setting is correct and you aren't getting even 1 Ird of signal on any of the orbitals, your reflector may be warped. Also, you should be sweeping azimuth ever so slowly from right to left.

Real advice: don't even try to peak that thing without any type of meter. There's a reason why there's fine tuning for azimuth and elevation on that backing structure.

Agreed. Your settings are a starting point. But you may have to change your elevation by a few degrees. Search Craigslist for a Dish installer who can come out for some extra side money. It might be worth it for him to spend a few minutes fixing it versus you spending several more hours trying to do it. The rcvr will pick up the signal before the software is downloaded. How else would the software download without the signal present. You just can't view the programming without the software. If you want to try the TV on the roof trick, that will work. Kind of cumbersome though. Or better yet, just call your cellphone from your home phone, place the home phone headset by the rcvr. Go up on the roof and put your cellphone on speaker, and listen for the tone to turn to the high pitch indicating you've got the signal.

The dish and LNBF are brand new. There is no damage on the box. I set the azimuth, elevation and skew as the area code suggested.
At what range the signal should be sensed? As soon it pick the signal, the remaining is fine tune. Am I right?