Need Help from a 721 Expert

slapshot12002

Original poster
May 4, 2006
Got myself a 721 from e-bay. Trying to install the receiver on my system. I have a Dish 1000 with a DPP44. I am using a DPP separator to feed 2 inputs on the back of the receiver from 1 feed. I am a total newbie with 721 and don't know much about it:confused: . Here is my problem. When i plug in the receiver, i get a small dishnet logo on the screen with the message "Testing System...System Installation Stage 1". In a couple of mins. it goes to Stage 2. While this is going on I get knight rider lights flashing. Then it gives me a message "Installing New Drive Image..... In about 5-7 minutes it says "Installation complete-please reset the receiver". and all the lights are flashing on and off at the same time now.

Dumb questions # 1 - How do you reset the receiver? Any special reset procedures or just unplugging the receiver will reset it?

Not knowing how to reset, I took the smartcard out and put it back in to reset the receiver and it went into an infinite "Testing system....Validating Hard drive..." loop. I get a screen with a message "Attention 703" (this is as close as I have gotten to seeing anything resembling any signal from the receiver) but it then goes to the validating HD loop.

Can an expert tell me what is happening with the receiver and what can I do to get the setup screen or am I SOL? Thanks

I've got one sitting around our shop that does exactly the same thing. Tech support is worthless. The only thing they say is to get the software updated, welll DUH I cant do that if it WONT BOOT..

1 thing I have found - try unplugging the sat connections and reset it, you might get further, but as soon as you plug in the sat connections it reboots.

nuts4scuba said:
Have you tried to run 2 lines the 721 until you get it up and going?

No, I have not tried doing that. I will do that tonight and report back. Thanks for the suggestion.

Looking at the Tech Portal on the 721 it says that 703 is the "starting receiver" display. How long do you wait until you try something different? I had my 721 hooked up with a legacy LNB's and switch. Last summer we had a big storm and my power was knocked out. When the power came on and my 721 booted up it seemed like it took forever to get off of the 703 screen.

nuts4scuba said:
Looking at the Tech Portal on the 721 it says that 703 is the "starting receiver" display. How long do you wait until you try something different? I had my 721 hooked up with a legacy LNB's and switch. Last summer we had a big storm and my power was knocked out. When the power came on and my 721 booted up it seemed like it took forever to get off of the 703 screen.

Actually I don't do anything to get off the 703 screen. It only lasts for about 5-10 seconds, then the screen goes blank and the "Testing system... Validating Hard Drive...." message appears again and it cycles between 703 and the message.

slapshot12002 said:
Dumb questions # 1 - How do you reset the receiver? Any special reset procedures or just unplugging the receiver will reset it?

Press and hold the power button for 10 sec.

I have a 721 that does the same thing, it just power cycles and reboots after the 703 message. I'ver tried power cord resets, holding the power button, having it plugged into two satellite feeds. Nothing. Of course the Dish CSR didn't have a clue.

Anyone get their 721 out of this cycle?

cclement said:
I have a 721 that does the same thing, it just power cycles and reboots after the 703 message. I'ver tried power cord resets, holding the power button, having it plugged into two satellite feeds. Nothing. Of course the Dish CSR didn't have a clue.

Anyone get their 721 out of this cycle?

RMA the box.

The 721 with not work with a separator; it's not a DPP receiver. You will need 2 lines from the switch

I have a 721 and a 622 connected to a Dish 1000 with a separator to each box and it works fine. The 721 software was updated some time ago to allow this.

Not sure if this is relavent but my 721 hard drive gave me a failure message and the Tech checked my SW version and wouldn't do anything until I downloaded the latest software. After I did, the 721 started working fine. I got the impression that something in the software was causing the problem and they fixed it. I would call Advanced Tech and get someone who is familiar with the problem. My SW version is L179HABD-N, Boot version 10GB, Flash version 10GL.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts