Need help from windows 7 experts

TheForce

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Pub Member / Supporter
Oct 13, 2003
Jacksonville, FL, Earth
I'm trying to free up some C drive space on my limited SSD. In reviewing what is taking up space, I find a folder burried in:

c:/users/DonLandis/AppData/Local/Microsoft/windows/WER/Report Queue In the Report Queue are a number of folders with files totaling 15.9 Gb

What are these and can I delete them in windows explorer? Or, is there a safer way?

This computer is used mostly for video editing so there is very few files in the temp and cache folders for browser.

The other locations to delete unnecessary files are in my go back temp files for the video editor and I know what to do with those.

Don, click start, type in "Event" without quotation marks in the search bar, click on view event files. Dbl. click Windows Logs, Clear the logs circled in red shown in the image below. Let me know if this helps. ;)

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    168.3 KB · Views: 183
That's didn't do it but I found a similar type process in disk Explorer called Disk cleanup and was able to delete over 20 Gb of temp files. The above referenced ones were still there so I just deleted them since they hadn't been accessed in 2 years. Now I'm good to go.

Glad you got it fixed/done! Having all SSD in my MBP w/Retina sure makes me more cognizant of disk space useage!

Quite true. This is a 3D video editing system and has lots of storage. But for speed my C drive is an SSD 256Gb but I need half that for temp files. My clone backup is an SSD but only 128 Gb. So the OS and apps need to be below 110 for a comfortable cloning. There is also an 8Gb partition for the image.

My work drive is a 256 GB SSD and then my library for media storage is 12TB of SATA 3 hard drives.

StevenD- OK, will that prevent those files from accumulating on the drive? Hope so. I saw most of those were from earlier Vegas Pro beta versions ( I'm on the Sony beta team for Vegas Pro ) When that stuff first comes out it is extremely unstable and sometimes crashes windows.

StevenD- OK, will that prevent those files from accumulating on the drive? Hope so. I saw most of those were from earlier Vegas Pro beta versions ( I'm on the Sony beta team for Vegas Pro ) When that stuff first comes out it is extremely unstable and sometimes crashes windows.

It will stop logs generated by Windows. Individual programs might generate their own dumps, possibly elsewhere on the drive.

BTW... SSDs are coming down in price drastically! Im looking to pick up a couple of Crucial M500 960GB SSDs in the near future for ESXi storage. They should be less than $600 each.

I can save money by buying a slower SSD and will look into a 256Gb size so my current C drive won't be so critical to keep under 110Gb for the smaller backup. I'll wait until they are under $100 though. My most critical need for speed is the work drive for 3D editing. and the 256 Gb size works for 3 of my projects resident at a time. The OCZ Vertex 4 series was the fastest throughput on the market when I tested last summer.

Thanks again for your suggestion on the windows logs.

You can create a schedule for your computer to cleanup your hard drive automatically which would include temp files and emptying recycle bin.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts