NEED HELP! How do I add receivers??

Status
Please reply by conversation.

DeputyWife73

Original poster
Aug 21, 2008
I currently have 4 DirecTV receivers in four rooms in my house, my husband is building himself a "man cave" and wants to add two more receivers to the new rooms so his friends can watch football/hunting etc. What will we need to do this?

We have a round dish with one LNB and a multiplexer that is set up for the 4 receivers we have already.

I know we'll have to run more cable but will we need a different dish and multiplexer? :confused: We don't want to have to call DirecTV for them to install it, we feel it would be cheaper to do it ourselves. I already have the two additional receivers, now all we have to do is get them hooked up in the "man cave"

Thanks for all your help!!;)

I'll let one of the installers chime in on what can be done with the old RCA crapshooter but DTV generally installs the new dishes for free which come with a multiswitch (8-way here in Chicago). Keep in mind the man cave wont be getting Sunday Ticket this year with your current setup as you need newer equipment this year to tune into the channels. Aside from upgrading, should you wish to keep the status quo, I would simply install another single node dish (or get a dual node & skip the switch) as close to the man cave as possible & run your two cables into the room. I'm sure you can find a dual LNB dish for free if your willing to drive to get it. Where are you located?

edit: Thought you mentioned NFL Sunday Ticket; your equipment can still get the Sd programming.

I'll let one of the installers chime in on what can be done with the old RCA crapshooter but DTV generally installs the new dishes for free which come with a multiswitch (8-way here in Chicago). Keep in mind the man cave wont be getting Sunday Ticket this year with your current setup as you need newer equipment this year to tune into the channels. Aside from upgrading, should you wish to keep the status quo, I would simply install another single node dish (or get a dual node & skip the switch) as close to the man cave as possible & run your two cables into the room. I'm sure you can find a dual LNB dish for free if your willing to drive to get it. Where are you located?

edit: Thought you mentioned NFL Sunday Ticket; your equipment can still get the Sd programming.

Legacy receivers should still be able to receive the SD versions of Sunday Ticket, or are you referring to their single LNB dish?

To the OP, The easiest way to do what you want to do is to purchase a triple sat dish and a new multiswitch (either the Zinwell 4x8 powered, or the unpowered Zinwell 6x8). You will need to run 4 cables from the LNB on the dish to the input of the multiswitch, and then run cables from the switch to your receivers.

Legacy receivers should still be able to receive the SD versions of Sunday Ticket, or are you referring to their single LNB dish?

I hope your right about this as DTV hounded me day/night about replacing two receivers (SIRTS360-HD & D11-100) that supposedly couldn't tune in those channels even though I could see the channels in the guide. No matter as they sent the new DVR free of charge though I was bummed about my own man cave limitations.

If the ST stays on SD broadcast then they would still be able to see the ST & whatever hunting is going on in Babe Winkelmans world. By the way, if you ever get to see Winkelman intertube fishing for muskies on some northern river it is priceless entertainment.

The addition of a new dish & switch is by far the best option (& should be free through DTV) though some people like those old ovals.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)