Need help identifying this dish and will it work as a fixed CBand dish

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

jmc98

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Jan 11, 2005
32.750N 97.488W Fort worth Tx
cc414c77082cf3a3ac5bc3e937c23f22.jpg

I am going next week to pick up this dish and need help identifying it so I can learn more about its capability and if I can use it for cband as a fixed dish

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys mobile app

Once you have photos of the back of the dish we can help you identify the manufacturer better.

Reactions: Titanium
that is a 4 foot dish designed for KU
will it get C-Band? Possibly...but it will take some work and you may only get some signals
I'm not sure it's a 4 foot. It looks like a prodelin 1.8m (6 foot) to me. I agree with Michael about the back pics. Still small for some c-band signals.

Probably the way the picture is taken(maybe not), but looks like it is mounted on a piece of re-bar. That is one skinny pole whatever it is.

I'm not sure it's a 4 foot. It looks like a prodelin 1.8m (6 foot) to me. I agree with Michael about the back pics. Still small for some c-band signals.

The support arms don't look like my 1.8m Prodeline. But my 1.8m was a VSAT 1.8m, so the TX/RX supports may just be different.

Believe it or not I came across an 8 foot dish similar in design to that. It's by a car dealership and is mostly hidden behind trees so it's apparent they aren't using it, but up close this thing looks so heavy it looks like you'd need a crane to get it down and a fairly hefty trailer to haul it (it is high enough in the air that a person standing on the ground cannot touch any part of it, although a basketball player could jump high enough to touch it if they didn't mind jumping into trees). It sure doesn't look anywhere near that big from the adjacent highway, which is why I went back and snapped a pic with a crappy old phone I had with me.

8ft offset dish.jpg

Shoulda cleared out the cache before looking at it.
No bids, maybe get something really cheap (free to haul away?) as it's probably going to scrap now.

Shoulda cleared out the cache before looking at it.
No bids, maybe get something really cheap (free to haul away?) as it's probably going to scrap now.

Actually maybe not. Government agencies are required to make surplus available to all at auction. They have now fulfilled their responsibility. One may be able to contact them now and make a deal.

Prodelin/General Dynamics 112x Series RX (certified for receive only) 1.2 meter dish with fixed AZ/EL mount.

Excellent dish for KU and probably would do well for a mini-BUD if the feed support arms could be moved away from the feedhorn clamp to allow room to mount a conical scalar.

Reactions: KE4EST and Mr Tony
Hoping to get this one " http://www.satelliteguys.us/xen/posts/3701550/ " up really soon!

Can't beat the commercial dishes, but for C-band these days I wouldn't go less than 10' unless you have HOA limits etc. A few 16 and 32apsk signals showing up that require lots of S/N, if you want any hope of getting these you need to go BIG! Certainly a worth while dish, maybe a 1.2m would get some of the C-band DVBS signals on 99 and 107? I have a 1.2m just like it and it works great on Ku, but I have not tried it on C-band.

Last edited:
I put up and assembled my 1.8m Prodeline today. It has a fairly substantial EZ/EL mount. Here's some attached pics for detail comparison. I have a Eagle Aspen KU270 dual LNB with the feedhorn for the 84e attached. I have the original feedhorn, which may be able to be mounted fairly easily on the KU750 LNB. worked well on the LPBS feeds.

IMG_20160416_161631_980.jpg

IMG_20160416_161611_891.jpg

IMG_20160416_161554_316.jpg

IMG_20160416_161529_625.jpg

IMG_20160416_161503_158.jpg

I put up and assembled my 1.8m Prodeline today. It has a fairly substantial EZ/EL mount. Here's some attached pics for detail comparison. I have a Eagle Aspen KU270 dual LNB with the feedhorn for the 84e attached. I have the original feedhorn, which may be able to be mounted fairly easily on the KU750 LNB. worked well on the LPBS feeds.

View attachment 115894

View attachment 115895

View attachment 115896

View attachment 115897

View attachment 115898
Your dish looks like the one I should be getting next week how much does it weigh ?

Last edited:
Your dish looks like the one I should be getting next week how much does it weigh ?

Just guessing...

The reflector can easily be stood up and rolled by a single person. Estimate it weighs about 80-100 lbs. Lifting into place is not a one-person job.

The mount is substantial, all galvanized steel, major components are 4" square tube with a cast post clamp. Estimate the mount to weigh about 60-75lbs. I managed to lift it to the pipe, and I'm a relative weakling @ 6'-3" 230 lbs.

The NLB support arms are probably another 10-15 lbs.

Two guys could easily muscle the parts around to assemble it. I had forks on my little tractor that are a god-send. :)

With my Prodelin 1.8m, I put the mount on the pole FIRST by itself, and then lifted- cranked the reflector up to the mount with a gin-pole I made with a comealong and a 16' aluminum ladder. I had the ladder tied off every so often to a tree behind it, and leaning on a angle above the mount (like a crane). I had my wife stabilize the reflector once getting it on the mount, and then I bolted it down while standing on a stepladder.

Those BEASTS are heavy!

P. S I bent the ladder anyway!

Reactions: KE4EST
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)