Need help installing 7.5ft sami dish!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

xoibsurferx

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 31, 2014
Monroe, NC
I picked up a 7.5ft sami dish today. I need some help/advice on what wires to use and where to get the correct wires to hook up the acutator motor since the wire was cut but I have about two feet hanging from the motor where it was cut. It has a channel master feed horn with charpral servo motor and space vision lnb and the wires I need is this dual wire one coming from servo motor and one from the lnb itself.

Anyone know where I could get this dual wire and connectors for the servo motor and lnb? Also what wire do I need to use for the acutator motor?

Also I plan to place about three feet of the mounting pole into the ground and cement it in. Is this how you would recommend doing it?

Your pole/cement has to be below your frost level.
And the amount of cement depends on the soil type. Looser soil=more cement.
Also put some type of anti spin device on the pole in the cement. One example being a length of rebar through holes on opposite sides.
what wires to use
Sprinkler wire is often used. Doubled up for the motor.
Coax? RG-6 that's 3Ghz rated.
What receiver you plan to use with this? The only 'current generation' receiver that can operate the polarity servo feed is the Pansat 9500. All others require a LNBF. There are other 'options' available to run the servo. Moving the dish, any plans there???
???
dual wire one coming from servo motor
Should be 3 wires. (R/W/B)

Your pole/cement has to be below your frost level.
And the amount of cement depends on the soil type. Looser soil=more cement.
Also put some type of anti spin device on the pole in the cement. One example being a length of rebar through holes on opposite sides.
Sprinkler wire is often used. Doubled up for the motor.
Coax? RG-6 that's 3Ghz rated.
What receiver you plan to use with this? The only 'current generation' receiver that can operate the polarity servo feed is the Pansat 9500. All others require a LNBF. There are other 'options' available to run the servo. Moving the dish, any plans there???
???Should be 3 wires. (R/W/B)

We have clay soil here and its very hard especially during dry months but I'll still be sure to add some kind of rebar.

There are three wires from the servo and then the one rg6 from the lnb.

As for receivers I have a few to choose from but not sure how great they'll be but I'm hoping they'll at least get me started. Viewsat ultra lite (says on box it has polarity control), viewsat lite, viewsat pvr7000 (says it can change polarity on the box its in), and sonicview sv-360 premier. I'm not sure if these have any dish moving capability but I'm guessing they don't. if i have issues with these receivers I'll plan to get a MicroHD since I hear amazing reviews on them. I plan to purchase a vbox as a dish mover.

For the sprinkler wire what type of connector will I need to hook it up to the vbox?

What are the other options for the servo motor?

Several sellers on Ebay of quality ribbon cable with dual RG6, sensor and shielded servo wires for $1 foot. If you don't want to go with the ribbon cable, I would at least use shielded alarm type wire instead of unshielded sprinkler wire. You never know when you want to shield and drain off unwanted terrestrial RF and /or noise from the motor.

Motor wires should be 12-14 gauge min. Sensor and servo approx 18 gauge or better. I prefer copper and will try to source stranded if available.

Been installing and servicing motorized dishes for over 30 years and suggest that it is worth spending an extra 10 - 15 cents a foot for shielding. Some folks will disagree and get away with using a few twisted pairs of 22 gauge telephone wires, but many cannot. Just depends on the cable run route/distance, local interference sources, type of equipment, etc.

Brian Gohl
Titanium Satellite

I'm looking now trying to find the rg6 cable with the servo wire as well but can't find anything.

So the wire for the acutator motor just use 12 to 14 gauge wire? Like sprinkler system low voltage?

I still have a few more questions. Sorry for all the questions btw.

For the servo the receivers I have don't have the plug ins on them for it...Whats the other way to be able to use the servo?

And what if I just don't use it? Will I only get even or odd channels?

My other question is what connectors do I need for the servo wiring (even if I can't use it I still want it wired up correctly so when/if I can use it some how I will be able to), and what connector do I need for the acutator motor to use it with a vbox?

Some people on here use an old receiver to control just the servo and a newer receiver for tuning the channels on, modern receivers don't have the connections for the servo.

Or you could buy an ASC1, which would control the motor and servo both, or eliminate the servo by swapping out the current feed for an LNBF, [C1PLL looks to be the best choice for an LNBF] [or swap it to an ortho feed, can be kinda pricey - ortho feed and two LNB'S] and eliminate the servo altogether. If you don't use it or swap it, then you'll just get one polarity. Somewhere on here there's a few threads on how to build a ckt to control a servo too.

You need three wires for the servo connection, servo power, gnd and control.

The V-box would connect to the receiver via coax and be controlled by DISEqC commands and the motor wires, gnd,sensor and 36 V [four wires total] plug into a plug on the back of the V-box.

Here's a servo circuit that Primestar31 posted a while back that he'd said he actually used: http://www.aaroncake.net/circuits/servocon.asp

Last edited:
Some people on here use an old receiver to control just the servo and a newer receiver for tuning the channels on, modern receivers don't have the connections for the servo.

Or you could buy an ASC1, which would control the motor and servo both, or eliminate the servo by swapping out the current feed for an LNBF, [C1PLL looks to be the best choice for an LNBF] [or swap it to an ortho feed, can be kinda pricey - ortho feed and two LNB'S] and eliminate the servo altogether. If you don't use it or swap it, then you'll just get one polarity. Somewhere on here there's a few threads on how to build a ckt to control a servo too.

You need three wires for the servo connection, servo power, gnd and control.

The V-box would connect to the receiver via coax and be controlled by DISEqC commands and the motor wires, gnd,sensor and 36 V [four wires total] plug into a plug on the back of the V-box.

Here's a servo circuit that Primestar31 posted a while back that he'd said he actually used: http://www.aaroncake.net/circuits/servocon.asp

So I guess I'm at a road block on what to do. The C1-PLL is only $45 and it would take away the need for the polarity control wire and the need to buy an ASC1 (which does look impressive but for almost $200 I could get the C1-PLL and a vbox and still be cheaper). The currently feed horn is a channel master and the LNB is a space vision which I can't find anything about so I'm sure its pretty old. I wouldn't doubt if the servo motor is bad either so that's another $20 or so right there.

I guess the questions comes down to if the current LNB works? I guess I'll work on getting the pole up and the dish on the pole and start aiming it with the tv and receiver next to me and see if I get anything. If I don't get anything I'm guessing the LNB would be bad if I spend a day aiming at different c band satellites on the arc and have issues. Then the best option would be to get the C1-PLL, vbox, and I've been told my current receivers (sonicview 360-premier, viewsat lite, viewsat ultra lite, and viewsat pvr7000) are all outdated and I may have a lot of issues with them and going with a MicroHD or a currently receiver would be a better options. Any opinions on what you'd do?

Yes for sure go with a modern receiver. Those receivers are DVB-S only, most stuff is going to DVB-S2. MicroHD is a good receiver, Amiko has some nice options also. Good chance your current LNB is working, but don't spend to many hours pulling your hair out, trying to get a signal. You have a lot of unknowns going on, mixed with being new to the hobby. Other words don't discourage your self to early. :) I say get the dish up, ask questions, attempt to aline it, ask questions. No luck get a new LNB or LNBF early in the game, if you are getting no where with your current set-up. ;)

I replaced my LNB/Feed horn/Servo unit for a LNBF a few years ago. Kicked myself for at least a year for not doing it a lot sooner. I like the K.I.S.S. principle. Less moving parts = less (potential) headaches. One set of wires isn't needed (Servo) so it's now only actuator and Coa:mad:s*).
But, there are some advantages to be had with a polorotor. Not having them isn't a big handicap(IMHO)
C band, you need a S2 capable receiver, no question.
(s*)always run a spare, or two, for coax 'troubles' or future expansion.

So I guess I'm at a road block on what to do. The C1-PLL is only $45 and it would take away the need for the polarity control wire and the need to buy an ASC1 (which does look impressive but for almost $200 I could get the C1-PLL and a vbox and still be cheaper). The currently feed horn is a channel master and the LNB is a space vision which I can't find anything about so I'm sure its pretty old. I wouldn't doubt if the servo motor is bad either so that's another $20 or so right there.

I guess the questions comes down to if the current LNB works? I guess I'll work on getting the pole up and the dish on the pole and start aiming it with the tv and receiver next to me and see if I get anything. If I don't get anything I'm guessing the LNB would be bad if I spend a day aiming at different c band satellites on the arc and have issues. Then the best option would be to get the C1-PLL, vbox, and I've been told my current receivers (sonicview 360-premier, viewsat lite, viewsat ultra lite, and viewsat pvr7000) are all outdated and I may have a lot of issues with them and going with a MicroHD or a currently receiver would be a better options. Any opinions on what you'd do?

This sounds like a good plan, that's exactly what I'd do.

Your current LNB probably is good, but with nothing to control the servo it'll only work for one polarity. So yeah, the best and cheapest option and what I would do would be to get a C1PLL LNBF to eliminate the servo issue, V-Box for the motor control and definitely a DVB-S2 compatible receiver so you can receive all the possible channels. Without a newer receiver, you'll miss out on a LOT of channels.

There are some cheaper LNBF'S, but the C1PLL has the best reviews by far out of them all and it's not much more than the others, so I'd go with the C1. I have a V-Box 7 here and it works great. The MicroHD is a nice receiver, out of the four receivers I have, {an X2 Premuim, M1, MicroHD and some cheap receiver I don't even remember the name of, it's been so long since I've used it} I like that one the best, the picture quality on the Micro is a lot nicer than all of the others.

If you do get a MicroHD, read through the threads on here about boot-loop issues before you start using it, I boot-looped mine about an hour after I got it, reading the thread on boot-looping might save you having your receiver down for a few days! :D

I would do like Fat-Air suggested too and put in a few extra runs of coax, in case one goes bad, or in case you decide to setup a Ku dish too, later on!

Last edited:
xoibsurferx,
The receivers you listed are not DVB-S2 (HD) capable except for the MicroHD. This will really limit what you can view.

Status
Please reply by conversation.