KE4EST

SatelliteGuys Is My Second Home
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 9, 2004
EM75xb
Just got the wife a iPhone 4s. I have never had an iPhone. My question is this: Is the otter boxes worth the extra money? I have been reading reviews and not seeing a lot of good ones and this is at the otterbox site. So should I go with an otterbox or does someone else have a good recommendation?

I can't speak for an otterbox but I've had an Incase two piece hard case in my iPhone 4 for two years. It did the job well. Of course I may have only dropped it once or twice that I recall.

I got a bodyglove snapon case for my new iPhone because it was the only one instock at the local phone stores here. I'm looking for a better one right now. I just don't like the look and the back is kinda slick. Kinda feels like it will slip out of my hands at any time. You might check out imore.com for case reviews. They have a lot of info on there.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Thanks Seth I will look.

I have an Otterbox Defender on my iPhone 5 and I like it and I don't... I like it because it offers great protection, but dont like it because its so big and bulky its like not having an light slim iPhone 5 anymore.

I have an Otterbox Defender on my iPhone 5 and I like it and I don't... I like it because it offers great protection, but dont like it because its so big and bulky its like not having an light slim iPhone 5 anymore.
I feel the same exact way, but hunting season starts sat. so I will keep my otterbox on my phone as I love the protection it affords!

Scott Greczkowski said:

I used an otterbox commuter series for my 4S. I'm waiting for a back ordered commuter for my 5 from amazon as well. I dropped it several times and it protected it very well. I like the commuter because its much less bulky than the defender but still offers some decent protection.

I dont have an iPhone, but I have used Otterbox Commuters on my last three phones.

Yeah I think I am going to go with an otterbox defender series, in Pink of course. ;)

I tried to tell her black would be just fine, she said no I want pink camouflage..:rolleyes:, if they make it.

I also have an O D for my 3GS and belt carry it. I'll be getting another one for my iPhone 5.

If i'm reading it right your looking for a case for the 4S. If so, and I'm not speaking for everyone, but the Otterbox Defender for the 4/4S sucked in my opinion. The outer skin stretched to the point of not staying secure.

If i'm reading it right your looking for a case for the 4S. If so, and I'm not speaking for everyone, but the Otterbox Defender for the 4/4S sucked in my opinion. The outer skin stretched to the point of not staying secure.

Yeah I read a few other reviews that said that, and yes the 4S.

I tried on my 4 when I got it and hated it. Ended up giving it away. Made the phone far too big for my pocket.

Anything better than Nothing!

Before I got an iPhone, people told me horror stories of big cases turning their pockets inside out, and generally bulking up their cute little toy.
Needless to say, I thought they were crazy.
Then, I fixed this iPhone 4 and got it on line about 6 months ago.
Have to admit I now see their point. :)

If you use yours on construction sites, or hunting & fishing, by all means spend the $40 for the top Otterrbox.
A buddy has one on his (larger) Android phone, and hands it to his little kids when he gets home.

Someone here on the forum so elequoently called the iPhones, a "slippery glass brick".
I couldn't agree more. Never leave home without *some* sort of case!

Ive seen 4's with chips along the edges oh their screens.
(the metal frame doesn't show much wear)
On iPhone 5, the paint easily chips, and wear shows quickly.

If you don't go for the Otterbox, at least put on a TPU or bumper.
Both available on Amazon under $2 shipped!
Screen protectors are 2 or 3 for a dollar (shipped).
And for bumper users, clear back protectors are just as cheap.

So, for $5 or $6, you can try both and decide if you need more.
In either case, they won't slip out of your hand.
Both keep the screen off the table if laid face down.
(same can't be said of many "clip-on" cases)

iphone 4

I can't see putting it in my pocket- with keys, change, etc?

I've always carried my cell phones, from day one, on some sort of belt clip. My 3GS is in an Otterbox Defender, inside a horizontal case on my belt. I'll probably use the belt clip that comes with the OD for my iPhone 5. My OD will be delivered next week. My iPhone 5.... next month?

I can't see putting it in my pocket- with keys, change, etc?

I've always carried my cell phones, from day one, on some sort of belt clip. My 3GS is in an Otterbox Defender, inside a horizontal case on my belt. I'll probably use the belt clip that comes with the OD for my iPhone 5. My OD will be delivered next week. My iPhone 5.... next month?

With cases and screen protectors they are fine in your pocket. In fact may owners of phones with gorilla glass claim no screen protector is necessary. Personally I don't like the belt clips. I never liked the Batman look.

I've used a cheep rubber $0.99 cover from Monoprice the entire 3 years I have had my 3GS, dropped it several times and nothing has happened.

Two different times I had the phone go flying out of the holder with no protective case on the phone on my mountain bike survived fine. The first time I was doing about 45 mph down a dirt trail, the phone popped out of the case, went flying about 15 feet in front of me, and bounced/rolled down the hill another 100 ft. The second time I was hit by the car, the impact of the car caused the phone to fly out of its case, fly about 20 feet, hit the asphalt, and bounce another 5 feet. The phone is still working to this day with no cracks.

IMO, those cases are simply a waist of money.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)