Need help - Parents won't share

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

ncted

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Jul 4, 2004
Durham, NC
So, my parents are sick of TWC where they live, and they probably can't Dish due to EA LOS issues, so DirecTV is the only other alternative (too far away from OTA signals). I am trying to help them with this, but one problem I am running into is they don't want to share a whole home DVR, like the Genie or Hopper. They each watch their own thing, and don't want the other's progams clogging up their DVR. Is it still possible to get individual DVRs instead of the Genie? If so, how would the cost differ?

Thanks,
Ted

So, my parents are sick of TWC where they live, and they probably can't Dish due to EA LOS issues, so DirecTV is the only other alternative (too far away from OTA signals). I am trying to help them with this, but one problem I am running into is they don't want to share a whole home DVR, like the Genie or Hopper. They each watch their own thing, and don't want the other's progams clogging up their DVR. Is it still possible to get individual DVRs instead of the Genie? If so, how would the cost differ?

Thanks,
Ted

Yes, they could order two DVRs, but I am not sure what the cost would be since it's not the normal new customer deal. Or they could get the Genie free as a new customer, and just pay for an additional DVR, if they can't get two DVRs free. They don't need to take the Genie clients, so they would just be using the Genie as a deluxe DVR - more tuners, more disk space.

2nd hd dvr is a 1 time upgrade fee of $199 when built at time of order.

Isn't $199 the usual lease price for an HD DVR?

What about the monthly charges. Would they be different?

Here is a blasphemous answer(to Genie fans) on what to do,if they each want a DVR without whole home DVR option,you can always get the THR-22 Directv TiVo HD DVR http://www.directv.com/technology/tivo_receiver .
The Whole Home thing you can set up to work or set up to Not be active.

If they don't want a HR34/44 (not sure why anyone would Not want one, but) the HR24's would be the way to go.

The Tivo unit is really old technology and really doesn't do what a Tivo is known for.

Yes, it's not a blasphemous suggestion, it's just pointless. The DirecTiVo is based on old technology, and only a TiVo enthusiast could want one...
The HR34/44 plus another DVR is the way to go.

Reactions: glen4cindy
I considered the THR22 for them, but after reading the complaints on tivocommunity, I decided against it, plus I wasn't sure whether it would cost any more or less.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)